3D Printing TRF Challenge #1: Estes Menace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! Yep, Abby's is still there...would be great to get together some time.
I wish ORK would let you import an STL because I used Tinkercad to prototype my scoop.
OpenRocket is designed to simulate a particular set of components for which it is well understood how to calculate drag and CP. It does not understand arbitrary geometries, and in general would have no idea what to do with a component specified in an STL file.

Thanks! Yep, Abby's is still there...would be great to get together some time.
I wish ORK would let you import an STL because I used Tinkercad to prototype my scoop.
Good! Their broasted chicken and JoJos are likely the best remaining in the valley after Barclay's Tavern in Phoenix burned down in that firestorm.

You did something to make non parallel sides on the scoop? Or something with the decals?

Ps when I get home I’ll take a peek and make some better guess.

I'll say this... One of the issues is clearly visible in this image... It's something that's there, that shouldn't be. On the other issue, it's something that shouldn't be there, but kinda is, and despite not exactly visible, it's not invisible, and it will be most welcome to someone who wants to build it.

The intake finally finished a successful print and it fits like a glove. The I contoured the side-walls to match the curve of the tube and that was a nice update. I'm very happy with that and now I can start assembly.

Nice! I tried to do the same thing with mine (match the curve). I made another prototype today (the one on the back) and can't really decide which one I like better...but leaning towards the new one...but it weighs 13g vs 10g...which both sounds heavy so might have to try only 1 nozzle thick :p

. 20240214_135536.jpg

Is it just me or does taking one fin off the rear look awesome?

Screenshot 2024-02-14 140137.png

Nice! I tried to do the same thing with mine (match the curve). I made another prototype today (the one on the back) and can't really decide which one I like better...but leaning towards the new one...but it weighs 13g vs 10g...which both sounds heavy so might have to try only 1 nozzle thick :p

. View attachment 630495

Is it just me or does taking one fin off the rear look awesome?

View attachment 630496
I like the 3-fin variant. I wish I would have thought of that. It provides more room for the rail on the bottom. NO, I will not build two of these ::while looking around for another 3-in tube:: 🤪

Might be a good next built - 4 inch anyone?
My mindsim of the Boeing A.L.C.M. tells me that it's not doable in OR accurately (for flight data, or in shape). Even though I have a physical sample here with me in China.

I think the scoop needs to be smaller just to keep it from looping, I ran out of time last night.
This is about 2.6 in body tube size or BT80 for those that speak that language.

I think the scoop needs to be smaller just to keep it from looping, I ran out of time last night.
This is about 2.6 in body tube size or BT80 for those that speak that language.
Only one way to tell for sure. Heads up flight?

Well that worked kind of...but so thin it warped a little...only weighed 9.9g though.
20240216_083243.jpg

So now trying v4 printed flat with folding grooves...1.2mm thick.

tinkV4.png

Last edited:
Aw... Nuts... I was hoping more folks would try to figure out my tricks... Anybody else want to try to figure it out before I reveal them? I *REALLY* think you'll appreciate at least one of them. This trick has something that a lot of folks have requested for their builds (it's genuinely practical, not just digital).

To be honest both of them are visible in the image above, Whereas only the lesser one is visible in the image below.

1708285919348.png

Last edited:
Aw... Nuts... I was hoping more folks would try to figure out my tricks... Anybody else want to try to figure it out before I reveal them? I *REALLY* think you'll appreciate at least one of them. This trick has something that a lot of folks have requested for their builds (it's genuinely practical, not just digital).

Wish I could, but so new with OR I don't know what I don't know. :p
Your skills are very impressive, thanks for posting the file!

Wish I could, but so new with OR I don't know what I don't know. :p
Your skills are very impressive, thanks for posting the file!
Thanks! And with that I'll give away the answer to the lesser trick.

1708360475705.png 1708359095735.png

See that faint shadow between the winglet and the fin that jogs over the fin all the way to the end of the body tube? In reality, built stock, it's there. However, in OpenRocket there is no chance to accurately have that curved part of the scoop (without using hundreds and hundreds of fins or launch lugs, or externalized inner tubes that are carefully placed, and colored). Even then the decal work would be very difficult. Can it be done? Sure. But we're talking a ton of work for very little reward. Rather than doing all that I opted for the simpler method. I applied the "curved portion" to the body tube as a "decal" in the form of an outline done to replicate the shadow of the part. TLDR? I faked it.

Oh, and you can still see a portion of the better trick in that image too.

And here's a hint about the better trick... When you're make an exact clone of a rocket, it's important to have the parts (including the shock cord), the correct shape of the fins, the instructions (or an original to copy from) and the...

Last edited:
Impressive work all. I am assembling a team to judge to winner.

Rules to date:
1. Must have a Sim File
2. Must have at least one 3d printed part
3. Files must be posted on the forum with a thread.

Any other suggested rules?

Last edited:
Back