3D Printing TRF Challenge #1: Estes Menace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I am issuing a challenge to our group. This can be a personal effort or a group.

Results: Rocksim, Openrocket files, 3d files, or build

Deadline: 15 March

You must post your results here including files.

The rocket must be a design based on the original but it can be upscale. More to come on prizes.

Unknown-5.jpeg

Last edited:
Estes Kit #2173 Kit instructions here, details here..

So @cwbullet , this is a kit bash*? And/or a reproduction: STL files for 3D printing all or part, unique sim files (OR or Rocksim), or an up/downscale of the actual kit..

*Kitbash: to use the parts, but build something not looking like the kit..

It is not at all clear what this means.
I corrected the wording. It must be based on the original design but can be altered slightly. It can be the same size or smaller and larger.

I would like ti to have 3d Printer parts also.

I might try to find judges so I can participate.

Here is some inspiration for your contest. I built a "Super Menace" years ago using BT-80. Through wall fins. I used a copy machine to blow up the original card stock scoop pattern. The nose cone has an Eggtimer for both nose weight and apogee deploy. Flies great. If I can find the openrocket file I will post it later.

Photo Sep 20, 1 50 04 PM.jpgSuper Menace - BT-80 - pad.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 628657
More inspiration.
My full size clone.
Traditional build, no 3D printed parts so I doubt it would do well in the contest.
Flyable, but needs filler, primer, paint and decals.
The decals really make this rocket pop.
nice example

Here is some inspiration for your contest. I built a "Super Menace" years ago using BT-80. Through wall fins. I used a copy machine to blow up the original card stock scoop pattern. The nose cone has an Eggtimer for both nose weight and apogee deploy. Flies great. If I can find the openrocket file I will post it later.

View attachment 628592View attachment 628594
Ditto - good example.

The real key here is that now that you can take open rocket files and turn it into an .obj file, a well designed sim file can be made into a real rocket. Just as an example, I modified a nice AIM-9 sidewinder file someone had posted on here, and printed it this past week and flew it yesterday. This is a great idea @cwbullet! Will have to work on the contest later, but here's what I managed to print just using open rocket to generate the parts.

IMG_4401.jpeg

Can you say anything about the judging criteria? Just a beauty contest or is preformance important?
To enter? Must have a 3d print in the model. It must have a sim file. The rest will be up to the judges.

Does anyone have an open rocket file for the menace? I can’t figure out how to do that air scoop, a tube fin?
A tube fin on a pod (positioned inside the body tube) would do it. If you only care about visuals then you could just use a body tube. A square scoop would require a bit of gymnastics but it is doable. :)

Hmm normally, l would not care but it’s a contest I need to make it pretty! So could you elaborate on the stretch’s I need?
Each side of the scoop would need to be a fin attached to a pod with a phantom body tube. You can do it with two pods.

Note that there's a limit what you can do if you want things to be non-parallel to airflow, but if you play with fin cant you can probably make something happen.

Quick and dirty demo:
1707326713145.png

ORK file not attached. ;)

Each side of the scoop would need to be a fin attached to a pod with a phantom body tube. You can do it with two pods.

Note that there's a limit what you can do if you want things to be non-parallel to airflow, but if you play with fin cant you can probably make something happen.

Quick and dirty demo:
View attachment 629082

Very nice.

Pretty nice. i would do 3d printed fin cans and cardboard tubes.
I wanted a non-round body.. (not too sure if that's apparent) is a bit of a lop-sided hexagon.. (And, I'd be the first to say, 'go with tubes & wood' for the construction - never a fan of 3D printed parts when stronger materials are [easily!] available. Cut the slabs, fold the cardboard. But print the organic & compound shapes..)

Debating on how it'll be printed to reduce the need of supports.. (Will likely chop it lengthwise, but then the fins can be weak..) Also debating if i want to go thru the trouble of 'lofting' the fins, to have a proper airfoil shape (but that can lead to a lot of work planes!)

This was whipped up in about a half hour.. Just giving an idea of what can be done in CAD, and to set the bar for the others.. :D

I wanted a non-round body.. (not too sure if that's apparent) is a bit of a lop-sided hexagon.. (And, I'd be the first to say, 'go with tubes & wood' for the construction - never a fan of 3D printed parts when stronger materials are [easily!] available. Cut the slabs, fold the cardboard. But print the organic & compound shapes..)

Debating on how it'll be printed to reduce the need of supports.. (Will likely chop it lengthwise, but then the fins can be weak..) Also debating if i want to go thru the trouble of 'lofting' the fins, to have a proper airfoil shape (but that can lead to a lot of work planes!)

This was whipped up in about a half hour.. Just giving an idea of what can be done in CAD, and to set the bar for the others.. :D

Strength of 3d part can be more than adequate and lighter.

Quick and dirty demo:
View attachment 629082

Quick question, will that simulate the physics or should I put a tube fin inside it?

Back