Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess its a question of whether US government would accept an end user certificate on those terms. I suspect not.
There is some precedent in this conflict for the US to give/sell European nations supplies of one weapon so that the weapon it displaces can be given to Ukraine. This wouldn't be much more of a step beyond that. If the accepting the certificate happens entirely in the executive branch, it gets far easier.

Ukrainian fatality figures: 31,000 since the start of the war. Likely a low estimate and it may be false entirely. But if it’s anywhere near correct, it paints a picture of a sharp attrition gradient between Ukraine and the enemy, with Ukraine coming out squarely on top.

Still, can you imagine a crowd of 30,000 people just dropping dead? What would that even look like?

If Ukraine survives it will likely emerge bruised and angry, and for good reason.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68397525

[EDITED]

I'd comment but it would be political, so I won't.

Yeah, I rewrote that last comment about four times.

Ukraine’s biggest military challenge right now is US political dysfunction, so it’s almost impossible to talk about current events in Ukraine without bringing up US politics to some degree. It requires ignoring the context in which those events are happening. I understand why it has to be that way — it traces back to the most toxic political issues in our country right now.

Pretty thorough overview of Russian military developments over the past decade, recent Russian war tactics shifts, and forward trends from a guy who wrote a book on the subject matter.
Not short, but worth the time if you care about the subject matter:

Last edited:
EU combined GDP is around 75% of the US. EU countries collectively should be able to put up $45 billion if they really cared about Ukraine while the politics plays out in the US. General Dynamics would appreciate it too.

Last edited:
EU combined GDP is around 75% of the US. EU countries collectively should be able to put up $45 billion if they really cared about Ukraine.

You should know better than to suggest EU is not supporting Ukraine.
https://www.eeas.europa.eu/delegati...ica/eu-assistance-ukraine-us-dollars_en?s=253

EU has been providing bulk of funding for Ukraine ($96B to date, plus $54B in 2024), but the bulk of military aid is coming from the US.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ntries-have-committed-the-most-aid-to-ukraine

a

You should know better than to suggest EU is not supporting Ukraine.
https://www.eeas.europa.eu/delegati...ica/eu-assistance-ukraine-us-dollars_en?s=253

EU has been providing bulk of funding for Ukraine ($96B to date, plus $54B in 2024), but the bulk of military aid is coming from the US.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...ntries-have-committed-the-most-aid-to-ukraine

a
I never claimed that. But maybe the EU might be able to kick in more during drastic times while the US dithers.

I never claimed that. But maybe the EU might be able to kick in more during drastic times while the US dithers.
For clarity, the EU is not a military organisation but a trade organisation which aspires to become a European Government. It has an interest in funding military integration at the political and industrial level, but has no forces or resources of its own. Forces and materiel belong to individual member nations. Following recent wobbles in transatlantic relations the EU has started to form an operations HQ but its funding and resources are trivial compared to NATO. This might change over time, but it requires the agreement of all 27 members so its progress will be slow.
The EU is basically covering the running costs of Ukraine, enabling them to divert about 30% of GDP to defense (this is that last figure I saw and may have changed by now). The money (currently 50bn Euros up to 2027) is intended for reconstruction, wages, and the cost of running essential services.
Military expenditure and hardware is coming from individual EU nations, mainly the wealthier ones with indigenous arms industries. Some, notably Poland, are absorbing the cost of supporting a lot of Ukrainian refugees.

Wow, here's something I didn't expect. Israel has announced it is sending military aid to Ukraine.

This is in the form of early warning radar systems. Not clear if this means they are sharing their Iron Dome system or something else.

Wow, here's something I didn't expect. Israel has announced it is sending military aid to Ukraine.

This is in the form of early warning radar systems. Not clear if this means they are sharing their Iron Dome system or something else.
If so that would be an amazing boon to Ukraine!

From what I have read it is not anti-missile technology, but anti-drone. This makes sense as Russia is using Iranian drones for aerial barrages. Israel is probably keen to see how these systems perform.

That is a significant shift in Israel's position, as they had been hyper-careful not to upset Russia and potentially endanger Jews still living within that dictatorship's borders.
What has changed recently is that Russia has been actively and directly intervening on behalf of Hamas and Islamic Jihad (never mind Russia's long-standing military ties with Iran) during the recent conflict. That's a bridge too far for Israel:
https://www.jpost.com/israel-hamas-war/article-787743

So, Israel has responded with a middle-finger to Russia by announcing token military aid to Ukraine in the form of electronic warfare system to defend against drone attacks, seeking to learn how it performs against Iran-made weapons.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/in-fi...e-of-defensive-military-equipment-to-ukraine/

Not a game changer, militarily.
However, a meaningful addition to the anti-Russian coalition.

a

It seems that those drone drivers are getting pretty adept at driving a following drone into the previously created hole in the ship. Boom! Another sub for the sea bottom.
I also saw today that they are designing the next generation of drones to also launch surface to air missiles, submerge for short periods, and some other things that I've forgotten. Being able to submerge may enable them to drive/navigate *under* the nets that are being used to protect the Kerch Bridge. I imagine that surface to air missiles would/could be used anywhere that there is an airfield or helipad near shore (like most of Crimea).

Last edited:
300 million was between the cushions?! In all seriousness that’s pretty good news for once, maybe some more can get to them.
It's a big couch. :D Unfortunately, the article specifically says that this is not a sustainable thing. They likely will not be able to do more like this in the future, unless they continue to get screaming deals on buying replacement weapons.

300 million is a drop, a very small drop in the bucket. I think a billion and a half would be a good start. The Senate sent the House a number close to that for Ukraine. As well as aid to Taiwan. But it was blocked by the House. On another note. I saw a video that said the Russians have figured out how to put a guidance kit on their dumb bombs. Their using between 500 kilos and 1500 kilo bombs. 1500 kilos is a big bomb. The collective West must speed up aid to Ukraine. Every day that they don't have what they need is causing people to die. If we had given them what they needed to win when Putin invaded. This War would have been over a long time ago. Now war fatigue is setting in here. I think the EU and it's members are doing a good job getting aid to Ukraine because Putin wining in Ukraine means they will be in danger.

Back