The usefulness to our hobby of public A.I. sites?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cvanc

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there anything there for us to use? If yes, what kinds of things have you been able to get it to do?

Or is the answer 'it doesn't really do that yet'?

Someday when the libraries for integrating such things become commonplace. For now, the chatbot fad needs to wrap up so everyone can go back to serious ML tasks.

Reexamining old scientific datasets, folding proteins, finding underexamined areas of study, translating dead languages, etc.

It writes reasonable code for simple projects. Like making a barometer activate a couple of outputs at the right time through an arduino.... And it fully comments it so you can see what's happening.
So it can save you some legwork and make you lazier. Like no-one knows how to use a map now we have GPS. Being able to rotate a map right way up while you were driving was a juggling art now lost....
So, I'm totally for it. But at the moment you have to know what the answer should be.... Just in case....

Last edited:
I asked ChatGPT "How can I get started in Model Rocketry?" and it responded with this:

"Getting started in model rocketry can be a fun and rewarding hobby. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
  1. Research Local Regulations:
    • Check local laws and regulations regarding model rocketry. Make sure you are aware of any restrictions on where you can launch rockets.
  2. Join a Club:
    • Look for local model rocketry clubs or groups. Joining a community can provide valuable insights, support, and access to launch sites.
  3. Educate Yourself:
    • Learn the basics of model rocketry, including the different types of rockets, engines, and safety procedures. There are many online resources, books, and videos available.
  4. Start with a Beginner Kit:
    • Purchase a beginner model rocketry kit. These kits usually include all the necessary components, and the instructions are designed for beginners.
  5. Gather Supplies:
    • Apart from the kit, you may need additional supplies like glue, sandpaper, paint, and recovery wadding. Make sure to follow the kit's instructions.
  6. Build Your Rocket:
    • Follow the instructions carefully when assembling your rocket. Take your time, and pay attention to details. This is a crucial step for a successful launch.
  7. Engine Selection:
    • Choose the appropriate rocket engine for your model. The kit will provide recommendations based on the rocket's size and weight.
  8. Safety First:
    • Always follow safety guidelines. Launch rockets in open areas away from people, buildings, and trees. Use a launch pad and launch controller to maintain a safe distance.
  9. Launch Your Rocket:
    • Choose a clear day with minimal wind for your first launch. Set up the launch pad, load the rocket with the chosen engine, and follow the launch procedures outlined in the kit.
  10. Recovery:
    • Ensure you have a safe recovery area. Rockets typically use parachutes or other recovery mechanisms. Be prepared to walk a bit to retrieve your rocket after launch.
  11. Learn and Iterate:
    • After each launch, evaluate the performance of your rocket. Take note of any issues and consider modifications or improvements for future launches.
  12. Explore Advanced Builds:
    • As you gain experience, you can explore more advanced rocket kits, experiment with custom designs, and even try building and launching your own rockets.
  13. Share Experiences:
    • Share your experiences with the model rocketry community. Join forums, attend club events, and connect with other enthusiasts. You can learn a lot from others and share your knowledge as well.
Remember to have fun and enjoy the learning process. Model rocketry is a hobby that combines science, engineering, and a sense of adventure."

More advanced questions would likely yield better results. Like many things, you get out what you put in.

I tried another question: "What is the easiest model rocket kit to build?" It responded:

"Several model rocket kits are designed specifically for beginners, offering simplicity in construction and reliable performance. Here are a few examples of easy-to-build model rocket kits:
  1. Estes Alpha III:
    • The Estes Alpha III is a classic and straightforward beginner's rocket. It comes with pre-colored parts, requires minimal assembly, and features a simple design. The instructions are clear, making it an excellent choice for those new to model rocketry.
  2. Estes Viking:
    • The Estes Viking is another beginner-friendly model rocket. It has a two-stage design, which adds a bit of complexity but is still manageable for beginners. The step-by-step instructions guide you through the assembly process.
  3. Quest Aerospace Astra III:
    • The Quest Astra III is a three-stage rocket that is easy to assemble. It's a great kit for beginners who want to experiment with multi-stage rockets. The kit includes pre-colored parts and clear instructions.
  4. Apogee Components Honest John:
    • The Apogee Honest John is a beginner-level scale model of a military missile. Despite its scale appearance, it is designed for easy assembly. It's a single-stage rocket that offers a bit of a challenge without being overly complex.
  5. Custom Rockets Star Seeker:
    • The Custom Rockets Star Seeker is a beginner kit that has a unique design. It features a saucer shape, which is a departure from the more traditional rocket shapes. The assembly is simple, and it offers a fun twist on conventional rockets.
When choosing a kit, look for those labeled as "beginner" or "easy to build." These kits typically come with clear instructions, pre-colored components, and minimal gluing. Additionally, consider kits that use a single-stage design for the simplest building experience. As you gain more experience, you can then explore more advanced kits with additional features and stages."

I'm not sure that I agree with having multi-stage rockets on a beginner's list, but the AI machine either learned that somewhere or combined multiple bits of information into one. It does that often and it even sometimes makes things up. Always check results from AI engines before using them.

It writes reasonable code for simple projects. Like making a barometer activate a couple of outputs at the right time through an arduino.... And it fully comments it so you can see what's happening.
So it can save you some legwork and make you lazier. Like no-one knows how to use a map now we have GPS. Being able to rotate a map right way up while you were driving was a juggling art now lost....
So, I'm totally for it. But at the moment you have to know what the answer should be.... Just in case....
It may have uses eventually, but mainly I think AI is going to make a lot of people unemployed (and unemployable, even if they did learn to code), and for sure people will get even dumber, since they will never need to know anything, so long as they can ask the AI.

Laughing in agreement, not derision!
We all copy what we don't need to recreate again. Bicycle wheels are fundamentally round. Very few good reasons to recreate the fundamental nature of it. Same for code. AI is good at reminding you to use the wheel that's already there.
It is not perfect. In fact it has flaws. But if you look at where AI is now, compared to a year ago, I personally am glad I retired last year.

Last edited:
I asked ChatGPT "How can I get started in Model Rocketry?" and it responded with this:

"Getting started in model rocketry can be a fun and rewarding hobby. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you get started:
  1. Research Local Regulations:
    • Check local laws and regulations regarding model rocketry. Make sure you are aware of any restrictions on where you can launch rockets.
  2. Join a Club:
    • Look for local model rocketry clubs or groups. Joining a community can provide valuable insights, support, and access to launch sites.
  3. Educate Yourself:
    • Learn the basics of model rocketry, including the different types of rockets, engines, and safety procedures. There are many online resources, books, and videos available.
  4. Start with a Beginner Kit:
    • Purchase a beginner model rocketry kit. These kits usually include all the necessary components, and the instructions are designed for beginners.
  5. Gather Supplies:
    • Apart from the kit, you may need additional supplies like glue, sandpaper, paint, and recovery wadding. Make sure to follow the kit's instructions.
  6. Build Your Rocket:
    • Follow the instructions carefully when assembling your rocket. Take your time, and pay attention to details. This is a crucial step for a successful launch.
  7. Engine Selection:
    • Choose the appropriate rocket engine for your model. The kit will provide recommendations based on the rocket's size and weight.
  8. Safety First:
    • Always follow safety guidelines. Launch rockets in open areas away from people, buildings, and trees. Use a launch pad and launch controller to maintain a safe distance.
  9. Launch Your Rocket:
    • Choose a clear day with minimal wind for your first launch. Set up the launch pad, load the rocket with the chosen engine, and follow the launch procedures outlined in the kit.
  10. Recovery:
    • Ensure you have a safe recovery area. Rockets typically use parachutes or other recovery mechanisms. Be prepared to walk a bit to retrieve your rocket after launch.
  11. Learn and Iterate:
    • After each launch, evaluate the performance of your rocket. Take note of any issues and consider modifications or improvements for future launches.
  12. Explore Advanced Builds:
    • As you gain experience, you can explore more advanced rocket kits, experiment with custom designs, and even try building and launching your own rockets.
  13. Share Experiences:
    • Share your experiences with the model rocketry community. Join forums, attend club events, and connect with other enthusiasts. You can learn a lot from others and share your knowledge as well.
Remember to have fun and enjoy the learning process. Model rocketry is a hobby that combines science, engineering, and a sense of adventure."

More advanced questions would likely yield better results. Like many things, you get out what you put in.
Not a bad list. Except that it doesn't know that 13 is an unlucky number. It should have been 12 or better still 10 items long. But that's nuance. As a list, it's good.

OK, thanks for the data points. Sounds like AI is in no way able to be a "shop assistant" in it's current state.

Which begs the question: How will we know when it DOES become useful? When might folks like you and me consider this crap 'skilled'? What activities do you think represent true usefulness?

Can we think of a good test for this?

I think the simple act of laying out parts on a sheet of plywood for minimum waste is this kind of test. It's utterly mundane & I would love to give this to a web page, right? Right now AI can't even do that, and geez that is an awfully low bar.

A much bigger challenge would be "ingest this schematic and return a BOM using only current stock from these three vendors".

So yeah I think we're waiting for the plywood thing 😁

2d irregular packing problems are reasonably well studied. If I wanted to ship a layout optimizer, say in laser cutter software, I'd probably just run a couple of off-the-shelf algorithms and prompt the user to select from a few final options.

Nothing about that particularly suggests Machine Learning to me, although I suppose one could feed millions of samples of "user-selected-best" layouts to train a model that would then auto-select something very like what users tend to prefer.

All that said -- AI has been present in a lot of popular products people are already using -- language translation, song or video recommendation, traffic analysis / navigation, guessing what's in photos, spam detection, autocorrect / autocomplete, factory line quality control, preventative maintenance prediction and scheduling, etc. etc.

Behind all the chatbot hype, the exciting ( to me ) prospect is one where most developers have access to an ever-increasing library of ready-to-hand ML models, which will be applied in new and surprising ways. Most of it will be trash; just like books, music, games, fashion trends, etc. But some of it will be treasure, and meaningfully improve the state of the art.

Last edited:
Q:
What is a good rocket to build to get started in high power rocketry?

ChatGPT:
A fantastic rocket to start with in high-power rocketry is the Wildman Darkstar Jr. It’s a versatile rocket that allows for various motor sizes, which is great as you can start with lower-power motors and work your way up as you gain experience and certifications.

Another option is the PML (Public Missiles Ltd) Small Endeavour. It’s a strong and durable kit that’s easy to assemble, making it a good choice for beginners.

Regardless of the rocket you choose, it’s crucial to familiarize yourself with the safety guidelines and regulations set by organizations like the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) or Tripoli Rocketry Association. Also, joining a local rocketry club can provide invaluable guidance, support, and opportunities to launch your rockets in a safe and supervised environment.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for my level 1 certification?

ChatGPT:
For a Level 1 certification in high-power rocketry, you’ll want a sturdy and reliable kit that meets the certification requirements set by organizations like the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) or Tripoli Rocketry Association. A few excellent rockets suitable for Level 1 certification include:
  1. LOC Precision Hi-Tech H45: This is a great kit known for its durability and ease of assembly. It’s a popular choice among those seeking Level 1 certification due to its reliability.
  2. Madcow Rocketry DX3: Another robust and reliable kit that’s suitable for Level 1 certification. It’s designed for mid-power rocketry but can be easily modified for high-power flights.
  3. Public Missiles Ltd (PML) Phobos: A strong and stable rocket, the Phobos is a good option for Level 1 certification. It’s designed for high-power flights and offers a great platform for certification purposes.
Always ensure that the rocket you choose meets the specific requirements outlined by the certification organization you're working with. Additionally, follow all safety guidelines and recommendations to ensure a successful and safe certification flight.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for level 2 certification?

ChatGPT:
For Level 2 certification in high-power rocketry, you'll need a more advanced rocket that can handle higher impulse motors. Here are a few excellent options suitable for Level 2 certification:
  1. Wildman Darkstar Extreme: Building on the Darkstar Jr., the Darkstar Extreme is a larger and more powerful rocket capable of accommodating higher impulse motors. It’s a sturdy kit that can handle Level 2 certification requirements.
  2. Public Missiles Ltd (PML) AMRAAM 4: This is a high-quality, high-power rocket kit that’s well-suited for Level 2 certification. It’s designed for larger motors and can provide a stable and reliable flight for certification purposes.
  3. LOC Precision Vulcanite: Known for its strength and durability, the Vulcanite is designed to handle higher impulse motors. It’s a good choice for Level 2 certification flights and offers stability and performance.
Remember, as with any high-power rocketry certification, it’s crucial to ensure that the chosen rocket meets the specific requirements of the certifying organization (NAR or Tripoli), and always adhere to safety guidelines and regulations. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced high-power rocketry enthusiasts or mentors can be immensely helpful during the certification process.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for level 3 certification?

ChatGPT:

For Level 3 certification in high-power rocketry, you'll need a substantial, high-performance rocket capable of handling the largest motors and meeting the strict certification requirements. Here are some top choices for Level 3 certification rockets:

1. **Wildman Rocketry Punisher**: The Punisher is a popular choice for Level 3 certification due to its robust construction and capability to handle extremely high impulse motors. It’s a larger rocket designed for advanced high-power flights.

2. **Madcow Rocketry 4-inch Fiberglass Frenzy**: This rocket is built with fiberglass, making it durable and capable of handling the higher impulse motors required for Level 3 certification. Its sturdy construction and design make it suitable for the certification process.

3. **Public Missiles Ltd (PML) AMRAAM 5**: Similar to the AMRAAM 4 but larger, the AMRAAM 5 is designed for Level 3 certification flights. It’s a high-quality, high-performance rocket capable of handling the most powerful motors.

These rockets are built for high-power flights and can accommodate the larger motors necessary for Level 3 certification. As always, ensure that the rocket you choose meets the specific requirements set by the certifying organization and follow all safety protocols and guidelines for a successful certification flight. Additionally, seeking guidance and advice from experienced high-power rocketry enthusiasts or mentors is highly recommended for Level 3 certification.

====================================
I was very surprised at the choices for Level 2 and 3. In general, ChatGPT seems to pick smaller rockets that I consider too small for certification flights. I'd give ChatGPT a C- grade for this assignment.

We all copy what we don't need to recreate again. Bicycle wheels are fundamentally round. Very few good reasons to recreate the fundamental nature of it. Same for code. AI is good at reminding you to use the wheel that's already there.
It is not perfect. In fact it has flaws. But if you look at where AI is now, compared to a year ago, I personally am glad I retired last year.
Oh, I agree. MATLAB commands are largely individual programs doing a whole lot of stuff that you would never want to recreate at even one level more fundamental - think of the "plot" command. Though you can create each element (axes, data traces, limits, etc.) why would you? Much less go down to machine-language level... or binary!!!

I suppose in the end I was just being a little grumpy - the current AI "fad" in the media and some of the crazy talk about it gets me a little disturbed. But time will march on... we used to have "libraries" of callable functions, now AI will look'em up for us, etc. I think it could be useful, but the "dumbing down" factor could possibly be an issue.

Last edited:
Q:
What is a good rocket to build to get started in high power rocketry?

ChatGPT:
A fantastic rocket to start with in high-power rocketry is the Wildman Darkstar Jr. It’s a versatile rocket that allows for various motor sizes, which is great as you can start with lower-power motors and work your way up as you gain experience and certifications.

Another option is the PML (Public Missiles Ltd) Small Endeavour. It’s a strong and durable kit that’s easy to assemble, making it a good choice for beginners.

Regardless of the rocket you choose, it’s crucial to familiarize yourself with the safety guidelines and regulations set by organizations like the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) or Tripoli Rocketry Association. Also, joining a local rocketry club can provide invaluable guidance, support, and opportunities to launch your rockets in a safe and supervised environment.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for my level 1 certification?

ChatGPT:
For a Level 1 certification in high-power rocketry, you’ll want a sturdy and reliable kit that meets the certification requirements set by organizations like the National Association of Rocketry (NAR) or Tripoli Rocketry Association. A few excellent rockets suitable for Level 1 certification include:
  1. LOC Precision Hi-Tech H45: This is a great kit known for its durability and ease of assembly. It’s a popular choice among those seeking Level 1 certification due to its reliability.
  2. Madcow Rocketry DX3: Another robust and reliable kit that’s suitable for Level 1 certification. It’s designed for mid-power rocketry but can be easily modified for high-power flights.
  3. Public Missiles Ltd (PML) Phobos: A strong and stable rocket, the Phobos is a good option for Level 1 certification. It’s designed for high-power flights and offers a great platform for certification purposes.
Always ensure that the rocket you choose meets the specific requirements outlined by the certification organization you're working with. Additionally, follow all safety guidelines and recommendations to ensure a successful and safe certification flight.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for level 2 certification?

ChatGPT:
For Level 2 certification in high-power rocketry, you'll need a more advanced rocket that can handle higher impulse motors. Here are a few excellent options suitable for Level 2 certification:
  1. Wildman Darkstar Extreme: Building on the Darkstar Jr., the Darkstar Extreme is a larger and more powerful rocket capable of accommodating higher impulse motors. It’s a sturdy kit that can handle Level 2 certification requirements.
  2. Public Missiles Ltd (PML) AMRAAM 4: This is a high-quality, high-power rocket kit that’s well-suited for Level 2 certification. It’s designed for larger motors and can provide a stable and reliable flight for certification purposes.
  3. LOC Precision Vulcanite: Known for its strength and durability, the Vulcanite is designed to handle higher impulse motors. It’s a good choice for Level 2 certification flights and offers stability and performance.
Remember, as with any high-power rocketry certification, it’s crucial to ensure that the chosen rocket meets the specific requirements of the certifying organization (NAR or Tripoli), and always adhere to safety guidelines and regulations. Additionally, seeking guidance from experienced high-power rocketry enthusiasts or mentors can be immensely helpful during the certification process.

Q:
What is a good rocket to use for level 3 certification?

ChatGPT:

For Level 3 certification in high-power rocketry, you'll need a substantial, high-performance rocket capable of handling the largest motors and meeting the strict certification requirements. Here are some top choices for Level 3 certification rockets:

1. **Wildman Rocketry Punisher**: The Punisher is a popular choice for Level 3 certification due to its robust construction and capability to handle extremely high impulse motors. It’s a larger rocket designed for advanced high-power flights.

2. **Madcow Rocketry 4-inch Fiberglathis alsoss Frenzy**: This rocket is built with fiberglass, making it durable and capable of handling the higher impulse motors required for Level 3 certification. Its sturdy construction and design make it suitable for the certification process.

3. **Public Missiles Ltd (PML) AMRAAM 5**: Similar to the AMRAAM 4 but larger, the AMRAAM 5 is designed for Level 3 certification flights. It’s a high-quality, high-performance rocket capable of handling the most powerful motors.

These rockets are built for high-power flights and can accommodate the larger motors necessary for Level 3 certification. As always, ensure that the rocket you choose meets the specific requirements set by the certifying organization and follow all safety protocols and guidelines for a successful certification flight. Additionally, seeking guidance and advice from experienced high-power rocketry enthusiasts or mentors is highly recommended for Level 3 certification.

====================================
I was very surprised at the choices for Level 2 and 3. In general, ChatGPT seems to pick smaller rockets that I consider too small for certification flights. I'd give ChatGPT a C- grade for this assignment.
I'd take some of the key phrases from these replys and search for that whole phtase to see whether it came from an article on rocketry or say Wildmans site.
Also remember the data that any public AI quotes is a couple of years old. Ask it.
This also prevents you being able to skee the answer by writing say a few articbles and publish them on various websites like this one.......
I'm sure it won't be long before we start getting spam topics writtem by vendors using AI to skew future results here.
For example the results of the AI question being published on a recognised forum about rocketry could boost those results in the future..........GIGO......

For example the results of the AI question being published on a recognised forum about rocketry could boost those results in the future..........GIGO.
I've thought about this. LLMs train on web sites, some of which are already being written by LLMs. As they get better, they'll be used for more content. And since they can produce content faster than humans, in pretty short order most internet content will be written by LLMs.

Which means in a couple of years, they'll be "training" on their own output. I expect "internet English" to get pretty weird after that, and I wonder to what extent spoken English will adapt, or developers will try to steer the LLMs back to how people write and speak, or the two languages will simply diverge.

It's only a question of whether AI kills us first, or zombie deer disease

Google

What is the risk of zombie deer diseases spreading to humans?​

Interesting. So zombie deer disease (never heard of it till now) is similar to CJD (creutzfeldt jakob disease) in humans or BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathies, aka mad cow disease) in cattle, and scrapie in sheep. From what I have read there is a random factor of about 1 in four million of having this triggered (genetic mutation) during life. That is similar across all those animals. The odds of getting it go up greatly when you eat something infected by it. Canibals in Papua New Guinea found that out, as did farmers that turned dead cows into feed, rather than burying them like they used to if they died of unknown causes.

They are all TSEs. Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.

Last edited:
I'm sure some government acronym is looking at a way to weaponise it. Especially as it's called zombie. Just like the star trek communicator HAD to be made into a phone....

Interesting. So zombie deer disease (never heard of it till now) is similar to CJD (creutzfeldt jakob disease) in humans or BSE (bovine spongiform encephalopathies, aka mad cow disease) in cattle, and scrapie in sheep. From what I have read there is a random factor of about 1 in four million of having this triggered during life. That is similar across all those animals. The odds of getting it go up greatly when you eat something infected by it. Canibals in Papua New Guinea found that out, as did farmers that turned dead cows into feed, rather than burying them like they used to if they died of unknown causes.

They are all TSEs. Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies.
I had a cousin die from CJD, went from okay to dead in 3 weeks. Sad, as she was only 30 and was a kindergarten teacher with 2 kids. :( Absolutely nothing they could do.

I'm sure some government acronym is looking at a way to weaponise it. Especially as it's called zombie. Just like the star trek communicator HAD to be made into a phone....

The Motorola Guy that created most of the cell phone tech was the one that wanted the "Flip Phone". He convinced a skeptical Mother Moto that folks would flock to a "Flip Phone" like on Star Trek. They made it and folks flocked to it.

The Smart Phones we have today are more like Tri-Corders... Especially if you load an app to read all the sensors and network data.

Edit: "Spock what are you picking up? Well Captain, I have 3 4G networks, 1 5G network, 7 open Wifi and 20 locked WiFi, and the baro pressure is 29.3 and rising. "

Back