The TRF history thread.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been tried under Carter, but no one wanted to pay to change all speed limit and "distance to" signs on the road, among other things.
Don’t do it all at once! Just make it so whenever you put up a new sign it’s in metric, and maybe encourage states to switch them out.

I looked this up many many years ago. It went from 18 to 32*, depending on the country / state / province.

Here in Quebec, it's 18 (but 21 for pot)
Ontario & BC is 19..

I believe the US has a range of 18-23

In France, it's not uncommon for 14 yrs olds to have wine at meal time..

*some Arabic or African country had 32 as their 'adult' age / age of consent.. thought that odd / weird..

The 26th Amendment lowered the US voting age from 21 to 18 in 1971. My father quipped that it should have been raised to 31.

Mom, educated in Europe, allowed us boys red table wine at the evening meal.

If I remember, Canada & the US tried to adopt metric at the same time (mid 70's) Canada stuck with it, while the US abandoned it after an election*..

One draw-back to our democracies: that 'good ideas' can be killed by the 'next in office', for whatever reason(s). sadly, these 'good ideas' then don't grow to their true scope & intent and overall benefit.. I'd love to see some of these 'ideas' come with term minimums; such as: "this new ________ must be allowed to live for 5 years, 8 years, {whatever} to fully come to fruition.. and only then can we judge its success (or failure).."

It's been tried under Carter, but no one wanted to pay to change all speed limit and "distance to" signs on the road, among other things.

Around here, White Billboards went up during that time under Carter, only black letters simply said "There are 28.5 grams in an Oz"

The Older Teens [I was one] all said "Some Rich Dude got ripped off and he is pissed"

One big reason the switch to metric measures failed in the 70s was it was only taught as drudgery, arithmetic problems. 3.875 times gallons is what? All us grade school kids hated it, adults couldn't stand it.

They could have taught the measurements with common sense experience. A meter is a little bigger than a yard. A liter is a little bigger than a quart. In recipes, 5 grams for a teaspoon, 15 grams for tablespoon.

But they didn't. Nowadays, everyone knows what a liter of Coke is. But little else.

Try to sell gasoline in liters during the gas crisis and high inflation. You'll get more than just raised eyebrows and suspicion!

Want to know why we don't use metric in the US?

Pirates.

No, seriously.

Thomas Jefferson was looking into what measurement standard to use in the newly-founded United States, and the kilogram and meter samples sent from France, along with the guy that was going to explain them, were stolen/kidnapped by pirates.

https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measure/pirates-caribbean-metric-edition

Back