The Nerd Pride Thread....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems ambiguous. If you used a fraction line instead of the in-line division symbol, where would you place the parenthetical quantity? And that should be resolved first, so simple left-to-right operations make it 36. But left to right rules; if you enclose the 5 and the 3 (i.e. 7-4) in parenthesis you get 15.

It seems ambiguous. If you used a fraction line instead of the in-line division symbol, where would you place the parenthetical quantity? And that should be resolved first, so simple left-to-right operations make it 36. But left to right rules; if you enclose the 5 and the 3 (i.e. 7-4) in parenthesis you get 15.
I posted it because it became viral with people insisting on either answer.

In my past work (including being lead of a special team that analyzed and replicated complex segmention algorithms from different clients), I had to create complex programs with logic almost like this, but we ALWAYS used parentheses to separate out the functions clearly. The current public confusion is an example of why it should never be written this way imho.

I would've insisted on either:
60/(5*(7-4)) = 4
Or
(60/5)*(7-4) = 36

Lol, I need to go back and correct one of the responses... I just pulled the pic from a Google search (which had variations of the formula) and I'm tired from a crazy day at work. 🙃

I believe PEMDAS should be used, so Parenthesis first (7-4)=3, then left to right for either division or multiplication, so 60÷5, times 3 = 36.

However, I would love verification from a Mathematics person.

In my past work (including being lead of a special team that analyzed and replicated complex segmention algorithms from different clients), I had to create complex programs with logic almost like this, but we ALWAYS used parentheses to separate out the functions clearly. The current public confusion is an example of why it should never be written this way imho.

I would've insisted on either:
60/(5*(7-4)) = 4
Or
(60/5)*(7-4) = 36

Lol, I need to go back and correct one of the responses... I just pulled the pic from a Google search (which had variations of the formula) and I'm tired from a crazy day at work. 🙃

I believe PEMDAS should be used, so Parenthesis first (7-4)=3, then left to right for either division or multiplication, so 60÷5, times 3 = 36.

However, I would love verification from a Mathematics person.
You are correct at 36, and I think you are a "math person".

Clarity of an equation is important. It is not always clear how equations are evaluated in different languages (human and computer) and there is that old(?) RPN thing. Other issues are more easily doing the math in your head, maintaining exact math integer status, minimizing the number of operations and keystrokes, and maintaining maximum numerical precision in floating point math. It would take too many keystrokes to elaborate.

You are correct at 36, and I think you are a "math person".

Clarity of an equation is important. It is not always clear how equations are evaluated in different languages (human and computer) and there is that old(?) RPN thing. Other issues are more easily doing the math in your head, maintaining exact math integer status, minimizing the number of operations and keystrokes, and maintaining maximum numerical precision in floating point math. It would take too many keystrokes to elaborate.
or in APL (Array Processing Language) where all the mathematics is processed right to left. No brackets needed.

or in APL (Array Processing Language) where all the mathematics is processed right to left. No brackets needed.
Or, in MUMPS, where all mathematics is evaluated left to right, with no order of precedence.

> S X=6+3*4-3 W X
produces 33
In most other languages, it would be 15.

This is the generally accepted correct answer but there are still arguments. As the equation is written it appears to be ambiguous but if you accept the rules of arithmetic it is not. I prefer to write things such that they are obvious and can't be misinterpreted so I wouldn't write it that way.

Built a [reasonably] high-powered (gaming) PC since my laptop and my son's laptops were way too slow at 3D modeling. I decided to build it partly since the pre-built units were not optimized for 3D modeling (e.g., very difficult to find a Intel i7-14700K CPU, DDR5 RAM, decent NVIDIA GeForce RTX video card, etc... without price skyrocketing. Also went for a fun LED outfitted case, liquid CPU cooling (necessary these days I guess), etc... Other reason for scratch building was to show my kids how to do it (or at least that it is possible). Been 25+ years since I built a PC (used to do it all the time both for myself and when I worked in a computer store pre-Dell) - honestly most annoying part was getting LEDs to work right.

1703777145375.jpeg

Built a [reasonably] high-powered (gaming) PC since my laptop and my son's laptops were way too slow at 3D modeling. I decided to build it partly since the pre-built units were not optimized for 3D modeling (e.g., very difficult to find a Intel i7-14700K CPU, DDR5 RAM, decent NVIDIA GeForce RTX video card, etc... without price skyrocketing. Also went for a fun LED outfitted case, liquid CPU cooling (necessary these days I guess), etc... Other reason for scratch building was to show my kids how to do it (or at least that it is possible). Been 25+ years since I built a PC (used to do it all the time both for myself and when I worked in a computer store pre-Dell) - honestly most annoying part was getting LEDs to work right.

View attachment 621826
Vey good! I have to do the same myself, and even though it's only been 12 years since my build, I feel intimidated by not knowing the current "in's and out's"!

Vey good! I have to do the same myself, and even though it's only been 12 years since my build, I feel intimidated by not knowing the current "in's and out's"!
Cool!

Microcenter had some good deals on CPU-Motherboard-RAM combos. Also was reassuring that they could confirm components would work together (although the guy pulled a bunch of incorrect components and I had to check every item to be sure it was the correct model we had configured / priced).

Liquid cooled CPUs and LEDs everywhere are the new things for me (I guess modular Power Supplies also). I wound up getting an 850watt power supply since components seem to require lots of power these days and I did not want the overclocked CPU to run into any issues.

Actually motherboards take the CPU, RAM, and even the SSD hard drive and have all the ports / components pre-configured so there is very little to install besides MB (video card and CPU cooling).

Last edited:
I do enjoy building these on occasion. Next one on my build list...
View attachment 621899
View attachment 621900
Cool - I have seen that one on occasion but have not found it on the sites I shop on. Looks impressive / different!

I found a site that ships things from Japan that was doing a special for free shipping for orders over $49. Their stuff is priced at MSRP converted from Yen to Dollars - which turns out to be really cheap these days due to weak Yen. Thankfully they stopped the free shipping promo so I stopped ordering stuff.

I built a new desktop back in the summer, the one it replaced I built 14 years ago. I did a lot of youtube research to educate myself on different processors, ram speeds, etc. There are also videos on actually building the computer, installing the OS, etc. I tried the microcenter tool to pick parts and it didn't gain me much but I did buy my parts from my local microcenter.
(I used AMD 5700G processor, 32GB of GSkill RAM, MSI Tomahawk motherboard, 1TB and 4TB SSD, Lian Li case, no discrete motherboard)

Back