The Best Launch Controller For Cluster Ignition And Why?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigRiJoe

Reaction score
I've got an Estes Pro Launch Controller with 2 7.2 NiCad batteries. How does this rate as a good controller for BP and AP clustered motors? Anyone got a better COMMERCIALLY available alternative; nobody mistakes me for Faraday or Tesla:confused:

I've got an Estes Pro Launch Controller with 2 7.2 NiCad batteries. How does this rate as a good controller for BP and AP clustered motors? Anyone got a better COMMERCIALLY available alternative; nobody mistakes me for Faraday or Tesla:confused:
That controller, at 14.4v, will deliver plenty of power for moderate sized BP clusters. Your choice of igniters will also affect performance. For example, Estes igniters require higher current than the Quest Q2G2, so for a given controller, more motors can be reliably ignited with the low current Quest igniter.

The only negative is the IR loss through the long wires (longer wires = higher resistance = lower current & lower voltage at the igniter). The solution to this is a relay controller. For one such commercial controller, check out pratt hobbies.

Ditto what dpower Posted:

Best commerically available Cluster controller would be the Go-box from Pratt Hobbies.
Relay ignition solves many of the power delivery problems for BP clusters ignition.

Back