My Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kframe

Reaction score
When I was a kid our family's "launch controller" was literally a knife switch screwed to a piece of wood that we'd hook to the car battery in our Plymouth Volare.
It worked, just like the Estes controllers I've used more recently. But I've seen custom ones people have built and I've always wanted to make my own that was 'secret agentey" and cool like something from The A*Team or MacGuyver or the original Mission: Impossible tv show. About twenty years ago I bought a safety toggle because it was cool and on clearance and I've been waiting for the perfect project for it, and now I've found its place.
I built this controller with an ammo can, some 1/8" aluminum plate, parts sourced online, the igniter leads from the Estes Pro Series controller and various parts I had on hand, including the safety toggle.
Main criteria that it be self-contained with storage for the igniter wires, 12v and rechargeable with automotive chargers like the Battery Tender, and heavy duty so it will handle hard use and bumps and stuff. Oh, and it had to look cool.
IMG_1636.jpeg

I came up with a design I liked on foam board so I could use that as a template for the aluminum plate.
IMG_1583.jpeg
I ended up moving around a couple of the components but this laid out the basic geometry of the design.

Then I ordered the rest of the parts and picked away at this on evenings over the past couple weeks as parts arrived and time allowed.
IMG_1584.jpegIMG_1585.jpeg

Next I punched centers and drilled pilot holes.
IMG_1587.jpegIMG_1588.jpeg
I forgot to take pictures of step-drilling the holes, but here is the panel populated (except for the meter hole as I needed to go buy another bigger bit and the store had closed) and the hole for the circuit breaker as that was an afterthought and hadn't arrived yet. The protective plastic film is still on the panel.
IMG_1593.jpeg

At that point I couldn't do more on the panel so I set to work on the enclosure, a 30 cal ammo can.
I masked it with Frog Tape, then gave it a light coat of black to prevent yellow bleeding under the masking.
IMG_1598.jpegIMG_1613.jpeg

The top was painted separately, of course.
IMG_1611.jpeg
Then I removed the masking and later applied labels I made with my wife's label maker. The yellow still bled a bit but c'est la vie.
IMG_1620.jpegIMG_1618.jpeg

Today the final part arrived, the 20A breaker, and I had the day off so I had the time to wire and complete the controller.
I used a schematic from another rocketry group and modified it for my specific design.
This is the unmodified design.
IMG_1522.jpeg

IMG_1712.jpeg
Here it is complete. The pigtail for charging the battery is hidden in the bottom of the wire storage area at the top of the image.
IMG_1716.jpeg
And if this works, it's a video demonstrating how it all works:

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out, and I expect it will last me forever and hopefully has the juice for all MPR and possibly HPR needs.

Oh, and I didn’t take pictures of this part either, but the instrument panel is suspended within the ammo can by pieces of L angle aluminum that are riveted to the can walls, and the panel is secured to those by machine screws going into U speed nuts.

And the 12v battery is a traditional AGM battery, 5 amp hours, which can be recharged or maintained by an automotive charger like the Battery Tender I use for my motorcycle.
7FDBA304-CDA1-4BCA-8DA7-642398071732.jpeg
And the charging leads I attached are the same style as those for my tender.
46A74AAC-369B-4CB6-8959-6A608E1FF296.jpeg

Last edited:
I like the voltage gauge. I may have to copy that into my controller. I also like the schematic drawing using images of the components. Makes it easier to visualize how it all goes together.

Edit: Since we are sharing, this is my wireless DIY launcher:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/wireless-relay-diy-launch-controller-build-thread.170114/
Yours is cool too!
Wireless is awesome!!

The voltmeter is somewhat showy farkle but it’s useful too. I could certainly just charge the unit before launch days but now I’ll know exactly what condition it’s in.

Back