Tailcone motor retainer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one in design but have not finished it or tested it yet.
I was hoping you would reply! As I understand it, PEEK provides a better heat transfer tolerance and flow than PETG. I'm fairly ignorant to 3D printing but thought that sounded right. Or, do you think PETG bonded with high heat JBW would suffice?
I know cost for a mass produced product must always be taken into consideration but I think there would at a minimum be a market for this for people willing to pay.

Thoughts?

Giant Leap Rocketry makes a tailcone retainer for 29mm motor and 38mm airframe.

https://giantleaprocketry.com/colle...or-retainers/products/38-29mm-ogive-tail-cone
I have a couple of their tailcones. They use a snap ring to hold an AeroTech or CTI motor case.

The Giant Leap tailcones are well made.
I completely forgot about GLR. I have a couple 54 retainers from them. Good stuff. I will entertain this if I can not secure a 3D printed unit. Trying to keep weight down. Albeit, not much. Thanks!!!!

I was hoping you would reply! As I understand it, PEEK provides a better heat transfer tolerance and flow than PETG. I'm fairly ignorant to 3D printing but thought that sounded right. Or, do you think PETG bonded with high heat JBW would suffice?
I know cost for a mass produced product must always be taken into consideration but I think there would at a minimum be a market for this for people willing to pay.

Thoughts?
Scrap the 3d printed one as there is not enough area to make a nice tail cone plus make it work as a motor adapter. 29mm to 54mm yes but not 29 to 38.

Playing with this idea myself - other than GLR, the only other option seems to be a retainer that is as wide as or is slightly wider than the 38mm body tube.

If you really want to play around with the concept, if you go to Thingverse and search on "Motor Retainer" you will find several designs that people have posted. Then take one of those designs, import it into the appropriate software (I use Tinkercad, which is simple enough for a statistician to understand), merge the outside part of the retainer with a cone, and there you go.

Will it work? No idea without actually designing, printing, & testing. And there really isn't much room there for the taper.

Playing with this idea myself - other than GLR, the only other option seems to be a retainer that is as wide as or is slightly wider than the 38mm body tube.

If you really want to play around with the concept, if you go to Thingverse and search on "Motor Retainer" you will find several designs that people have posted. Then take one of those designs, import it into the appropriate software (I use Tinkercad, which is simple enough for a statistician to understand), merge the outside part of the retainer with a cone, and there you go.

Will it work? No idea without actually designing, printing, & testing. And there really isn't much room there for the taper.
The design provides for very little taper, true. I can appreciate the pain making one would create. But I still want! Lol

Back