Wildman Mach 2 with Aeropac Retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimH

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building a Wildman Rocketery Mach 2 and I want to know if it is a bad idea to use an Aerpoack retainer. I realize it will increase some drag, but I'd rather not have to use a front end retainer as it limits the flexibility of the size of motors in the future.

I'm building a Wildman Rocketery Mach 2 and I want to know if it is a bad idea to use an Aerpoack retainer. I realize it will increase some drag, but I'd rather not have to use a front end retainer as it limits the flexibility of the size of motors in the future.
Use a 5/16 solid rod end in a threaded and tapped 54mm forward closure and tie recovery cord directly to the motor. Then friction fit the case for flight, no need to glue anything in place.
https://www.mcmaster.com/2434K22/

Thanks but that would need Aerotech hardware and I went the CTI route which in 38mm & 54mm that's all I've got.
Understood, sorry. I have never done friction fit but a lot of people have, successfully, so that plus the recovery attachment point as described by rfjustin would work.

Aeropack will destroy the min diameter of the model and may interfere with a tower launcher.

Friction fit and this:

Remove BP from forward closure of CTI reload and epoxy an eyebolt in the well. Result is similar to above from @rfjustin. Search for threads on this technique by @blackjack2564

If you want a retainer, then your best bet would be a Giant Leap Slimline or a similar retainer. They make versions that are threaded, and ones that use snap rings. They're much lower profile than Aeropack retainers.

Alternatively, you could friction fit the motor into the rocket, secure the avbay to the top of the body with screws, and then use a cable cutter on the main parachute.

Back