Motor Retainer for BTH-50

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

COSTransplant

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
All --

The BTH-50 MMT has an OD of 0.992, which is too large for a standard 24mm aluminum motor retainer. If anyone can point me in the direction of someone that produces a motor retainer that will fit this (slightly larger) MMT, that would be fantastic. I'd rather not use a 3D printed piece. I have tried sanding down the larger tube to make it fit, but I am afraid of taking off too much of the tube material.

HELP!

If you used a plastic 24m engine retainer, could you sand away some of the material from the inside of the plastic ring that glues to the MMT? Doing that, in conjunction with sanding away some of the MMT might get things to fit?

I believe Aeropak produces several versions of its aluminum 24mm screw-on engine retainers to accommodate different MMTs. I think they sell one version for a 24mm MMT with a 1.000" OD.

If the motor tube is cardboard, I would peel a layer off the outside of it, having first scored a circumferential line around it at the depth the retainer would seat. If I took off a little too much material, I'd just use extra JB Weld glueing it on and use a motor tube (greased in case of any leakage) to keep the retainer centered (which I do in any case).

Latest posts

Back