Starblazers Space battleship "Argo"(Yamato)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Took the electronics from the crushed bomarc, and started on something I've always wanted to do. Starblazers was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Decided to try to scale an Argo to make it rocket glider-able. Upscaled the wings, and tail surfaces. Decided on using trim monokote for color and sharpie for the details. Added some styrene cannons on the turrets. Dry fit, is around 6 ounces. Length 45 inches, wingspan 20 inches, around 2 square feet of wing/fuse area.

Enjoy

Frank

WP_001314.jpg

WP_001321.jpg

WP_001322.jpg

WP_001324.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good, I'm curious how your yaw stability will be with the bridge area. That said probably is'nt a worry with the flat sides--might be a worry on a typical round rocket though.. I like it--very cool.

Sweet!

Speaking of Star Blazers....have you seen the Japanese live action movie "Space Battleship Yamato"?

If not....go find it. It's most likely going to be in Japanese, maybe you can find a subtitled version....but WOW. The effects are insane, and truth be told....if you watched Star Blazers as a kid, you don't even need sound to follow along.

The effect for the wave motion gun alone is worth finding a copy.

Hi, actually a flat profile will be worse. The CG is just ahead of the turret just foreward of the bridge. So effectively the bridge is behind the lateral CG along with the tall tail, so I think I'm ok, as it seems like i have more suface area behind the CG than in front(CG ahead of lateral CP) However I have had one lateral instability issue on my X-3 stilletto original version.
We'll see.

Looks good, I'm curious how your yaw stability will be with the bridge area. That said probably is'nt a worry with the flat sides--might be a worry on a typical round rocket though.. I like it--very cool.

I have not seen it, however I did order it last night, as I had forgotten it was released. I just finished the bolar wars series as I had never seen it and since the voices were different and the story not quite as well rounded, I never could get into it, but it was ok.

I'm hoping the live action is ok.

Sweet!

Speaking of Star Blazers....have you seen the Japanese live action movie "Space Battleship Yamato"?

If not....go find it. It's most likely going to be in Japanese, maybe you can find a subtitled version....but WOW. The effects are insane, and truth be told....if you watched Star Blazers as a kid, you don't even need sound to follow along.

The effect for the wave motion gun alone is worth finding a copy.

I have not seen it, however I did order it last night, as I had forgotten it was released. I just finished the bolar wars series as I had never seen it and since the voices were different and the story not quite as well rounded, I never could get into it, but it was ok.

I'm hoping the live action is ok.

I got the live action movie for Christmas. It is very visually impressive-- the ships, props and special effects were translated very well to live action. It's fun to watch.

I was startled by some of the changes that were made, though. It follows the basic "Quest for Iscandar" plot, but there are some major differences compared to the original animated series. I don't want to give away too much, but you'll see what I mean.

Hi, actually a flat profile will be worse. The CG is just ahead of the turret just foreward of the bridge. So effectively the bridge is behind the lateral CG along with the tall tail, so I think I'm ok, as it seems like i have more suface area behind the CG than in front(CG ahead of lateral CP) However I have had one lateral instability issue on my X-3 stilletto original version.
We'll see.

Ya know, at some point we have to hook up . I need to get schooled on your Boost Glide stuff. I can see a lot of merit in using your approach to some of my planned projects

Got a break in the rain, and got in four test flights today! It was just a bit tail heavy on the first three flights and the up trim was a bit too much for glide. It seemed just a bit sluggish to respond on boost to roll, I moved the battery forward and adjusted the trim for the final flight and it was great.

And my live action Yamato movie just came, so I'm all primed, I'm such a dork!

Frank

Frank,

If you making a flyable Argo wasn't enough, it just *HAD* to look great doing so!! The last five or six seconds of that flight - where you could see the profile really well - was a sight to behold!!

Back 30 years ago, I did consider making a flyable model Argo, but thought along the lines of flex wings instead. Glad you did it your way, it's all we'd hoped for!

Thanks Mike I appreciate that. The flex wing was an interesting idea.

One thing I noticed, even though roll was pretty responsive, it didn't want to yank and bank like I expected, I think the mid mounted bridge is trying to keep it going straight and doesn't want to turn as easily. It's completely flyable, just needed more throw than I was expecting because of that.

Frank

Frank,

If you making a flyable Argo wasn't enough, it just *HAD* to look great doing so!! The last five or six seconds of that flight - where you could see the profile really well - was a sight to behold!!

Back 30 years ago, I did consider making a flyable model Argo, but thought along the lines of flex wings instead. Glad you did it your way, it's all we'd hoped for!

Brings back memories.

There are only 148 days left.....:wink:

John

Ah, Starsha and Trelaina.....good times.....

Funny thing is I didn't realize that Dr. Sane and his cat weren't drinking spring water like they said he was in the original series.......

Frank

Brings back memories.

There are only 148 days left.....:wink:

John

Back