So It Begins, Wildman Blackhawk 98 Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completed some of the ebay build today, the Rouse-Tech CD3 installation went better than I expected. The photo (middle) is the normal installation/setup for the system but I choose to mount it on the bulkhead directly (left photo). To ensure that the plunger would pierce the co2 cartridge I measured from the top of the CD3 unit to the top of the co2 cartridge and used this measurement for my bulkhead installation.

image9 - Copy.jpegimage6.jpegimage4.jpeg

Last edited:
Have you used CO2 for deployment before? If so, how has your experience with it been? If not, why did you choose to use it for this build?

Have you used CO2 for deployment before? If so, how has your experience with it been? If not, why did you choose to use it for this build?
I have used it in the past for deployment with great success. I decided to use it on this build due to the high altitude expected and to try for something a little different.

Just a fast update, the electronics are now mounted along with the batteries. I will now route the wiring and install the on/off switch next.IMG_2201.jpg

Finally had a chance to work on the ebay. the next step will be to build and install the motor mount and then start with ground testing. IMG_2222.jpg

Side note: this damage to my home has kept me busy lately. the beam is supporting my entryway roof, contractors will be out here tomorrow with the new beams. A yearly walkaround of your home looking damage is highly recommended.

IMG_2224.jpg IMG_2223.jpg

Finally had a chance to work on the rocket project. The last bit needed was to install the motor mount, I just have to drill for the shear pins and I can ground test the recovery system. I should be able to accomplish that tomorrow (weather depending).

I used a section of a coupler to fill in the area between the bulkhead and motor.

image7 - Copy (2).jpeg

image3 - Copy (2).jpeg

taped up for installation.
image2 - Copy (2).jpeg

(jedi have wave) ignore the epoxy mess

image0 - Copy (2).jpeg

Pro Tip: This helps when installing or removing hardware that cannot be reached, a simple magnet attached to the socket really helps.

image122.jpeg

Attachments

• image7111.jpeg
    image7111.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 0
I really lucked out. After installing the motor mount/bulkhead I left the motor case installed to ensure the bulkhead didn't move. Unknown to me some of the epoxy seeped passed the coupler and on to the motor case. At the last moment I decided to remove the motor case and found the issue, I am almost certain that had I waited just a few more minutes the epoxy would have set and I would not have been able to get the motor out. It was a struggle with several words I learned in the Navy to remove it without damage to the motor case or the BT.

Live and learn.

Last edited:
Ground Testing of the CO2 Rouse Tech system, 38-gram CO2 cartridges used for both drogue and main deployment. As you can see the CO2 system work extremely well for this rocket and I'm very happy with the results

Attachments

• TEST 1.mp4
    7.3 MB
  • TEST 2.mp4
    5.8 MB
Last edited:
Ouch !

Any nose cone damage after hitting that rock wall ?

-- kjh
Yes, there was some damage that needed to be repaired. I decided that the damage was more than I was willing to accept for a high-performance build, so I ordered a replacement N/C from Wildman. I will repair the current N/C and use it for a scratch build of my next project, an upscale Estes Cherokee (M) Rocket

Last edited:
Back