Sneak Peak: Jolly Logic's Easy Dual Deployment

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't test specifically for early or late delay. But making sure the chute bundle is properly rolled and wrapped is critical, as I found out on my third flight. If the bundle is wrapped well, early or late ejection shouldn't make a difference on the chute release. When you get one, you'll want to be sure to try wrapping bundles in varying configurations and bounce it around, maybe spin it around for some Gs... Basically be sure that your bundle is tight and won't come undone. Is there a chance it could pull out? Sure, but if you test your bundle, you can minimize that chance.
And I always attach a tracker on every flight, every time. Don't need it 90% of the time, but when I do, I'm glad it's there.
There's going to be a lot of what ifs until this is out in the field everywhere. But really, the device is pretty idiot proof. Just keep at it and it'll work great. I was thrilled to test and can't wait to get one.

Calm down, I'm not asking people to deliberately trash their cherished rockets. I'm not even that concerned with zippers. A bundled chute having less drag is obvious.

What I'm asking is what sort of off-nominal testing people have seen, intentional or accidental. Early or late deployments are going to happen sometimes, and it would be nice to know how this device handles those events. I certainly don't think it's going to intentionally release at apogee, but how well does the rubber band retention work? Can it be tight enough to avoid an unintentional unwrapping in a high shock deployment? Will packing it that tight make it harder for the retention pin to reliably release? How strong is the retaining force? Is the device pretty durable to banging around in that scenario?

Off nominal testing is a key part of every product development, and this is being marketed as a premium, professional product - so I think it's fair to ask how those tests turned out and how well it handles common, predictable stress cases.

I had a high speed ejection on a I204 flight in a North Coast Archer. A slight dent in the rim of the fuselage tube from the shock cord, which I just flattened out by hand.
I'm guessing it would have been a pretty bad zipper with an opening chute.

We don't have a series of dramatic tests, but Erik's case is the only one I can remember where the chute shook open up top. And he mentioned that he knew it was perhaps a bit loose.

The User's Guide now suggests two preflight checks:

1. The release test (use the ground test feature to make sure it will release cleanly)
2. The shake test (grab the shock cord and see if you can shake your chute loose)

Sounds easy enough to me. If one runs a few sims of a rocket in question, tries to get it to fly straight up,
there will be a little extra leeway as far at the deployment is concerned. Pick the delay, drill the grain if necessary
and I doubt anyone will have any trouble. Kurt

I had a high speed ejection on a I204 flight in a North Coast Archer. A slight dent in the rim of the fuselage tube from the shock cord, which I just flattened out by hand.
I'm guessing it would have been a pretty bad zipper with an opening chute.

We don't have a series of dramatic tests, but Erik's case is the only one I can remember where the chute shook open up top. And he mentioned that he knew it was perhaps a bit loose.

The User's Guide now suggests two preflight checks:

1. The release test (use the ground test feature to make sure it will release cleanly)
2. The shake test (grab the shock cord and see if you can shake your chute loose)

Dear Santa,

Please provide me with the chute release from Jolly Logic, I promise I wont lose my rockets again.

Thank you.

Dear Santa,

Please provide me with the chute release from Jolly Logic, I promise I wont lose my rockets again.

Thank you.

Sorry,

You still will lose 'em 'cause you'll think you can get away with insanely more powerful motors.

Santa knows better. God will snatch them up once they disappear from the pad, deploy too far to be observed and you won't see them again 'cause you won't know where to look!

Signed,

Santa

Sorry,

You still will lose 'em 'cause you'll think you can get away with insanely more powerful motors.

Santa knows better. God will snatch them up once they disappear from the pad, deploy too far to be observed and you won't see them again 'cause you won't know where to look!

Signed,

Santa

Sorry, the Rocket Gods require sacrifices.

You always have nice manuals. Saw a typo under "Attach the Band" in the first line. Should be "attach" rather than "attached".

If you could just incorporate a GPS transmitter into the unit...

This weekend I had a shroud line tear from the chute. That could result in a lost Chute Release. I'll probably lean towards tethering it to the shock chord.

If you could just incorporate a GPS transmitter into the unit...

This weekend I had a shroud line tear from the chute. That could result in a lost Chute Release. I'll probably lean towards tethering it to the shock chord.

I tethered mine to the swivel that I attach my chutes to. Worked like a charm and ensured that there was zero shock on the chute release.

Christmas may not be in the cards. Two steps left that have to happen in sequence: case inking (in process now) and final assembly. Each only takes a couple of days, but we're running short of days.

Still hustling, but this may be a January release.

Just a random suggestion- at the bottom left of page 6 you have a multiple graphic showing how the rubber band gets tied. I couldn't initially figure out what was being depicted at the bottom where there is a tiny glimpse of the unit at three different tilted angles. It would appear that your entire graphic is just to show how the rubber band gets tied, and I'm thinking that the tilted chute-release units just add some confusion as to what is being depicted there. It almost appears that the graphic is showing something being pushed in because the tilt of the unit gets less extreme from left to right as if though you were pushing it in.

Last edited:
Just a random suggestion- at the bottom left of page 6 you have a multiple graphic showing how the rubber band gets tied. I couldn't initially figure out what was being depicted at the bottom where there is a tiny glimpse of the unit at three different title angles. It would appear that your entire graphic is just to show how the rubber band gets tied, and I'm thinking that the tilted chute-release units just add some confusion as to what is being depicted there. It almost appears that the graphic is showing something being pushed in because the tilt of the unit gets less extreme from left to right as if though you were pushing it in.

+1. I wasn't exactly sure what was being depicted either. Glad you figured it out for me and was able to put it into words.

Here's a first peak at the final product (previous images were working prototypes using 3D printed cases). This is the first glimpse with the final polycarbonate cases. Crazy rugged. I haven't tried my usual highly technical test yet (throwing it as high as I can onto pavement), but I will.

FinalCase.png

Last edited:
Here's a first peak at the final product (previous images were working prototypes using 3D printed cases). This is the first glimpse with the final polycarbonate cases. Crazy rugged. I haven't tried my usual highly technical test yet (throwing it as high as I can onto pavement), but I will.

FinalCase.png

When, oh when, will I be able to give you some of my hard earned money??

Ummmmmm. Me thinks you might get a scuff mark on the case. If the SMT job with the electronics on the inside is good should be no trouble. There have been lots of instances with a tracker being thrown off a shockcord and found with the DF receive station homing in on the still functioning signal. I lost a beeper on a rocket and decided, "What the heck." I eyeballed where over the ground the apogee occurred and walked out there. Sure enough I heard the thing and picked it up unscathed.

I wonder who is going to be the first one whose chute release isn't secured and it gets thrown off the rocket?:shock:

Kurt

Now that January is here, I'm waiting with wallet in hand...

...Actually, the answer is January. These will be commercially available in January in production volumes.
Has something happened to change this date? The Apogee website has (until today?) cited a January date. But today the stock date is shown as March 31...:y:

Has Chute Release's availability been affected by something...

Back