Single disc spool?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I think I've seen single disc spools*. Can't find a good reference searching either this forum or google. I want to glue one up for this weekend. Does the single disc go on the top or bottom?

I seem to remember one with a top disc printed to look like a pizza...

I have one made from a mini-compact disc, a piece of BT20, and the nosecone from an Estes Yankee, its called "The Thumbtack".

When you’re done with one, try two:

http://squirrel-works.com/catalog/spool/tcfs.html
It’s a two stage spool rocket, uses Estes D motors. I’ve flown one several times and it’s a great rocket if there is a lull in the action, easy to have ready to go and a short recovery walk, but always gets a great reaction from the crowd.

Tony

Disc on the bottom looks like it should work. Disc on the top definitely works, but looks like it shouldn't.

Put the disc on the top :-D

Disc on the bottom looks like it should work. Disc on the top definitely works, but looks like it shouldn't.

Put the disc on the top :-D

Done. All glued up. Will add fillet to underside of disc in about 30 minutes. When that's set up, I'll add a filler strip to hid the corrugations around the rim. Then paint this afternoon. Pics later.

Here are the build pics so far:

I measured and cut out top disc from a box flap (thanks Amazon!). I measured and cut body tube, fit it onto disc and glued. This is one of the rare times I actually used a "stock" launch lug rather than roll my own (wise choice)

topdisc.jpg

Sticker for the top disc... The "Oklahoma" sticker will go down the body tube.

star.jpg

I stuck spent motors in each end. I wanted the motor to hang out of the body tube about 1/4". I marked the (used) motor stuck in the top, pulled it out and cut it, and glued it back in. You can see how much was cut off/left over.

mmount.jpg

Top disc edge wrapped with typing paper to help hide corrugations. I don't know if this is actually needed, I think it helps the looks.

topedge.jpg

... and underneath. The strip looks like it was about 1/4" too short. I bet it won't be noticible.

underedge.jpg

Everything got set aside to dry for several hours.

I'm *VERY* dissapointed! I sprayed primer on the half-spool last night. I've got two choices for white - Krylon white primer, and Kilz primer. I decided to go with the Krylon because the Kilz is a very flat (almost chalky) finish. BAD CHOICE! The Krylon is thin and not very dense. It hardly covered anything. Even after three coats, everything showed through. Yech! After letting it sit for about 8 hours, back to the garage. One coat of Kilz covered all the blemishes and little marks. I'm going to let it sit in a warm corner of the living room until later today, and I'll put the stickers on.

The Kilz definitely did the job! Looks a lot better now!

I put the stickers on the top and side. This is about as good as I can do right now. It needs some clear coat. Don't know if I will, I'll have to think about it. Is it worth a trip out in the cold to go to Ace? Well, they're next to the grocery store, and I still need pretzels and drinks for Sunday...

toplogo.jpg
sidelogo.jpg

Motor overhangs a bit more than I had intended, but this is not a problem.

It flies on Sunday! It will probably fly on a C6-0 for the first flight. Maybe a D20-4 if I'm feeling frisky.

Last edited:
Anyone up for a contest? I've made a half-spool with the Oklahoma Star logo. One could also easily be made with a lone star logo for Texas. What other states could be put on the top disc?

Anyone up for a contest? I've made a half-spool with the Oklahoma Star logo. One could also easily be made with a lone star logo for Texas. What other states could be put on the top disc?
Nice! I always wondered what your colorful avatar pic was. Now I know!
Flying out here is a pain but here're some geometric patterns that would be fun!
tmp_imperial_logo.pngtmp_BSG_logo.pngtmp_BSG_cyclon_logo.png

Flew the half spool todat on a C6-0. Very windy, just under the reasonable limit for flight. The rocket did fairly well considering the wind. It is fairly stable with the disc on top. When the rocket slowed down and the wind finally pushed the body tube to an angle, it went unstable quick. On a reasonably calm day, this will be a great flier!

Back