Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My CRG Black Star kart with a 4-stroke. Have a TaG motor as well.

Kart1_Cropped.jpg

Fantastic pics and I admire the many hobbies!

However none of the drag cars and 1000+hp motors? :wink:

Here's a 1000+hp motor we are building in a 69 camaro, LSX with a F1R Procharger. It's blown two 4L80E that were supposed to be good to 1500hp built by a big name company out of state and we haven't even broke 80% throttle yet. Also fixing Procharger's setup, it was flexing under boost and chewing up the side of the belt. Talk the customer into going built 400 with trans brake and built gear vender. I will post some pics when we take it out to finish tuning.

100_0084.jpg100_0085.jpgThe orange one was responsible for my rocketry hiatus from late 2001 through late 2013. The blue one I picked up in '08.

Here's a 1000+hp motor we are building in a 69 camaro, LSX with a F1R Procharger. It's blown two 4L80E that were supposed to be good to 1500hp built by a big name company out of state and we haven't even broke 80% throttle yet. Also fixing Procharger's setup, it was flexing under boost and chewing up the side of the belt. Talk the customer into going built 400 with trans brake and built gear vender. I will post some pics when we take it out to finish tuning.

OMG! :drool:

That much torque can turn a Camaro into a pretzel. I hope you stiffened up the frame and rear springs, and beefed up the tranny and rear end.

Bob

In the long-long ago, I was into autocrossing for a while, then I got (back) into mountain biking, road biking, triathlon... But I don't have any great shots of that.

For a while I got pretty into photography...
4833330970_d95f030bc0_o.jpg2151122914_1ac373f1a8_o (1).jpg
...and also volunteered as a wildlife educator...
3453544653_c78aaa29bd_o (1).jpg
...But most of my hobby-time disappeared after the twins arrived....
6865248152_7b5a7cef6c_o.jpg

Thanks! The first shot is... well, it was really lucky. It was a bubbling volcanic mud pool near Rotorua, NZ. It was fascinating to watch it and I got some cool shots ... But I realized as I was going through that this one looked like a flower; when I boosted up the contrast, it was ... striking.
Here's the whole set...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesdbrockman/albums/72157624590865376

Thanks! The first shot is... well, it was really lucky. It was a bubbling volcanic mud pool near Rotorua, NZ. It was fascinating to watch it and I got some cool shots ... But I realized as I was going through that this one looked like a flower; when I boosted up the contrast, it was ... striking.
Here's the whole set...
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jamesdbrockman/albums/72157624590865376

Wow! Great photos in that album! Many I really like, including that morningbird in flight shot. Some look like they belong in a magazine! Kudos!

Wow! Great photos in that album! Many I really like, including that morningbird in flight shot. Some look like they belong in a magazine! Kudos!

Thank you!! Let me share an awesome true story....
So my wife and I were on vacation in New Zealand and we were supposed to go whale watching. When the day approached, it did not look good. The seas were beyond rough - I don't remember how big they were, but we saw the waves from the bus and they were HUGE. So we rescheduled (we had a "free day" just for that reason) and we decided to knock around Christchurch and see what we could see. For lunch, we ended up at this place called She Chocolat - a wonderful little cafe/chocolate shop. The food was beautifully presented, and the storm that had produced the heavy waves made for wonderfully soft, diffuse cloudy light coming in the window. Being ridiculous nerds, my wife and I both thought we'd take some pictures of our food. And not with our phones, but with our fancy DSLRs.
As we were sitting there, we noticed some people doing the same thing with desserts. We kind of smiled and gave a "yep, this is happening" smile to them... and then one of them came over. She asked if she could see the pictures we'd done. I said sure. She ran the shop and said they were taking pictures of some of their chocolate products; if we could do some high-quality shots of their chocolates, she'd give us lunch and chocolates to take with.
And that's the story of how my photography paid for my lunch.
4658496311_bc6d320920_o.jpg4658496183_45a28bda32_o.jpg

Thank you!! Let me share an awesome true story....
So my wife and I were on vacation in New Zealand and we were supposed to go whale watching. When the day approached, it did not look good. The seas were beyond rough - I don't remember how big they were, but we saw the waves from the bus and they were HUGE. So we rescheduled (we had a "free day" just for that reason) and we decided to knock around Christchurch and see what we could see. For lunch, we ended up at this place called She Chocolat - a wonderful little cafe/chocolate shop. The food was beautifully presented, and the storm that had produced the heavy waves made for wonderfully soft, diffuse cloudy light coming in the window. Being ridiculous nerds, my wife and I both thought we'd take some pictures of our food. And not with our phones, but with our fancy DSLRs.
As we were sitting there, we noticed some people doing the same thing with desserts. We kind of smiled and gave a "yep, this is happening" smile to them... and then one of them came over. She asked if she could see the pictures we'd done. I said sure. She ran the shop and said they were taking pictures of some of their chocolate products; if we could do some high-quality shots of their chocolates, she'd give us lunch and chocolates to take with.
And that's the story of how my photography paid for my lunch.
View attachment 280142View attachment 280143

Sweet! Food photography definitely meets the criteria of eye candy! :wink:

Got the latest mod on my Taco, now my pups have a place to ride! And I can use it for more family trips. Ready to go fish on the 4x4 beach in OBX this weekend!
2016-01-17 13.09.13.jpg2016-01-17 13.09.24.jpg2016-01-17 13.09.41.jpg

There s a nice track not far from here with a large group. There is always 50+ cars racing each week. If I had the room at home I would build a track.
We had a 1/24 scale slot car drag track here in town, sure wish it was still here. I have almost built a track just to keep it going.

I'm pretty new to this forum, but figured I'd add my additional hobbies.

I'm into telemark skiing, both inbounds and in the back country.
FreeHeel.jpg

I'm also into Downhill mountain biking. I used to race, but it was 5 minutes of sheer terror, riding on the knife edge of control/out of control. Trouble is, to be competitive, you'd have to do the run in 4 minutes. So, I just do that for fun.

sweetJumps.jpg

Backpacking,I like to do multi-day trips in the back country of Utah.
LakeSelfie.jpg

Car camping. I have a Toyota Tacoma with a solar powered beer fridge. I'm setting it up for long range expedition style camping. I've got it mostly sorted, just not organized.

Tacomud.jpg

Beer brewing. I brew several hundred gallons of beer per year.

Brewing.jpg

I weld. TIG and MIG. Can do Stainless, aluminum, and mild steel (I haven't played with Titanium or any other more exotic metals).
I have a significantly modified/builtToyota Land Cruiser. Quick Laundry list of mods: Locked front/rear, 4.88's, SM420 transmission, Spring Over Axle suspension, heavy duty axleshafts, roll cage. Currently getting electronic fuel injection (has the stock 2F 6 cylinder motor). Moab is a 5 hour drive for me (it's built to CRAWL!) so I spend a bit of time down there.
Cruiser.jpgSeldomWaving.jpg

Hey Tigerstripe, sweet Taco and FJ40!!! I'm working towards getting my Taco (two posts up) more trail capable...sliders are next, then skid and bumper protection. It won't be capable like that Landcruiser though. My current mods are Bilstein shocks/front lift, add a leaf, 17" 4runner wheels, 275/70 KO2s, TRD Pro grill and my Softopper. It's a beach/camping/DD truck for now.

Awesome that you homebrew and camp with beer taken into account:) I'm a huge beer nerd. Haven't homebrewed in a minute but it's fun. What styles do you like? I'm big on Belgians and virtually any big beer, but I like em all. Sucker for a good IPA or sour too. And do tell more about this solar powered beer cooler! Feel free to PM as that would be a great mod for my Taco. I have rooftop tent plans in the future as well.

Last edited:
Nice Ken! Yeah that's the "lingo"....there's a very large forum/Facebook group community for Toyota trucks, and plenty of jargon to go with it. It's like this online community in many ways, though the personalities are sometimes a liiiitttle different:)

Here' a newish hobby that started around Christmas.

My youngest son has been enjoying "TANKED" on Hulu. He's been wanting to start a community tank of his own since last summer. He checked out beginner aquarium books from the library, asked us to take him to a fish/aquarium store so he could ask questions (and take notes!) We didn't really have room in our old apartment, but since we moved to a new house, he asked Santa for a fish tank.

He got a 10 gallon tank, and we set it up in the family room:
IMG_6465.jpg

After letting the tank run for just over a week, he went to Petco and used the gift card he got in his stocking to buy 3 tetras.
IMG_6493.jpg

IMG_6496.jpg

One of them got stuck in the filter the first night. It was dead by morning. So I fished it out (heh, see what I did there?) and tossed it. We went back to the store because he wanted to ask the aquatics guy if it would be okay to introduce another fish right away, or if he should wait a couple of weeks. The aquatics guy said it would be ok - so we picked a sunset fire platy. The aquatics guy also threw in another tetra and a baby snail.
IMG_6535.jpg

IMG_6601.jpg

Another hobby I sometimes indulge in is digital photography, and manipulation: The tank has provided several opportunities for both:

A digital watercolor:
IMG_6758.jpg

Attack of the Tetras:
IMG_6781.jpg

Great looking tank rbelknap! I love the blue color! I used to be seriously into aquariums and I do miss it so.

Also great digi pics! I would even hang that watercolor pic up on my wall. :)

One thing of note is to be careful about overfeeding...especially if the water is cloudy. From what I recall, cloudy water means there is more waste product (including dissolved uneaten food) than the current filtering system can handle. Cloudy water is often a sign of overfeeding and can overtax the filtering system and stress the fish. My :2: and best luck with the tank!

Back