Showoff Your Other (Non-Rocket) Hobbies! *Eye Candy Please!*

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think about fishing when I building or flying rockets and think about rockets when I'm fishing. I know, I'm messed up but ....

These were our rides home after our 10 day unguided rafting and fishing on a river in Alaska. We caught lots of nice Rainbows. Looking forward to next years trip already!

plane.jpg

Tony

I have more things I like to do or would like to do than I actually have time, money, or space.

I have loved firearms and target shooting since I was a child. Used to shoot the caps off coke bottles at around 200 yards with my 25/06....but that's been awhile. I haven't shot it in about 8 years.

Ruger 10/22 - The Diller Killer 2. The answer to my armadillo problems. Unfortunately I ran out of money to finish it and then went on to other things and never got back to it. Had big plans for it too: Timney trigger and Volquartsen barrel..:sigh:

View attachment 271388

Love to play Dungeons and Dragons table top RPG. Plain game boards or a bare table just wasn't cutting it. I decided to dabble with some landscaping. These have been banged around quite a bit getting moved and in and out of storage and what not, and have suffered for it. We haven't been able to play in quite a while.

View attachment 271389 A cemetery and crypt with a campfire
View attachment 271390 A simple river crossing with bridge
View attachment 271391 A woodland trail

I play Magic: The Gathering also and I still like a good RPG on computer or console. Yeah... so if there is a nerd award, I should be at the top of the list.

I have many more hobbies but these are the only things worthy of pictures. I mean, who wants to see pictures of me holding up a 27lb redfish or puffing on a cigar? :D

Mike

Last edited:
I'm also a wargamer, specifically playing the now out of production game "Babylon 5: A Call To Arms".

Here's my Earth Alliance fleet:
ea_fleet3.jpg

And here's a special White Star, the base autographed by Claudia Christian, a.k.a. Commander Susan Ivanova:
whitestar_signed.jpg

I am also into RC Planes and Birdwatching.
View attachment 268864
My Parkzone Night Vapor RC Plane.
View attachment 268865
A Blue Jay sits on my birdfeeder.

My wife and I are birders. We were going thru 25 lbs. of peanuts in the shell every 2 months or so. Blue Jays would start screaming for peanuts at 630am if I was not attentive to their needs. And the squirrels would stand up at the back door looking inside to see where I was. They disappeared for almost two months. Our neighbors had a Coopers Hawk nest in their cottonwood tree, and the pair plus three juveniles were hunting a lot in our yard. When they left, all the birds returned to the feeders, including 5-6 juvenile Blue Jays. The other day we had 8. We also had a Western Scrub Jay join them. I may have to buy 50 lb. bags of peanuts if they all stick around.

Last edited:
I'm also a wargamer, specifically playing the now out of production game "Babylon 5: A Call To Arms".

Here's my Earth Alliance fleet:
View attachment 271446

And here's a special White Star, the base autographed by Claudia Christian, a.k.a. Commander Susan Ivanova:
View attachment 271447
"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and
Sophie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is
going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth. I am death
incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. God
sent me." - Commander Susan Ivanova

HPIM3427.JPG

This is one of....ahhh...13 bikes I have. Raced for more then 20 years. This is my touring bike, a full custom Serotta Mevici. Carbon fiber everything, Campy record gruppo with SRM FSA carbon cranks. Ti is the only metal used in the bike. A full ceramic on ceramic bearing sets as well. Sub 12 pound bike. Did all 4 approaches to Ventoux that day.

View attachment 271487

This is one of....ahhh...13 bikes I have. Raced for more then 20 years. This is my touring bike, a full custom Serotta Mevici. Carbon fiber everything, Campy record gruppo with SRM FSA carbon cranks. Ti is the only metal used in the bike. A full ceramic on ceramic bearing sets as well. Sub 12 pound bike. Did all 4 approaches to Ventoux that day.
Damn Rick, that's a NICE bike! I have some CF, but nothing like that! When you told me you were into bikes, I thought you meant only motor sportbikes (also the CBR in your screen name seemed to be a hint of it). Very impressive cycling too! :)

The CBRA is because I've been the president of the Connecticut Bicycle Racing Association for about 20 years now....
Also did the etepe de tour de france, the raid de les alpes and the raid pyrinees as well. 1:10 up the Alpe du Huez...got it all on handlebar camera.

The CBRA is because I've been the president of the Connecticut Bicycle Racing Association for about 20 years now....
Also did the etepe de tour de france, the raid de les alpes and the raid pyrinees as well. 1:10 up the Alpe du Huez...got it all on handlebar camera.
Ah! Sorry I didn't know! I used to cycle a lot, but never competed (life and injuries got in the way).

Here's my latest "eye candy" bike :tongue: (took this pic a few weeks ago)
2015-08-22%2015.50.21.jpg

Last edited:
Here was my hobby before becoming a BAR. Its a Phil Thomas Super Sport 45. It runs on a 1527 1.5D NeuMotor, 240 Amp Castle Hydra Ice, 2-6S 5000mAh lipos. I had it running ovals at 60mph, now it sits in our storage room collecting dust. Still one of my favorite RC boats.

PT Super Sport3.jpg

PhilThomasSuperSport45.jpg

This is my ~2 Watt, 445 nanometer (blue), class 4 diode laser. I built lasers before I got back into rocketry. Then the HPR bug bit and that's what I do now. In the pictures you can see the laser, my (expensive) safety glasses, and a little home made beam dump. And the obligatory picture of the beam in the dark. It's been mostly useful for pointing out stars but I've done plenty of cool things with it.
20150909_111756.jpg

20150909_111902.jpg

20150908_061815-2.jpg

nice! Can you ride her?? leaning on the fence is one thing, riding is another. I was ok until I tried to stop on one. Ever try a track bike??

nice! Can you ride her?? leaning on the fence is one thing, riding is another. I was ok until I tried to stop on one. Ever try a track bike??

Wow, you are one serious cyclist! :) Sorry, but I jumped on it for a gag pic and it was mounted to the wall; however it should be noted that I'm crazy and will jump at the chance to try crazy things. I've never tried a track bike, but always wanted to...knees may not be up to it though.

AH,well, I wouldn't call it a hobby ,I do like to create things. Different things using what art talents I have available.

If I say so me-self, I can turn out some pretty cool pigment jobs using rattle cans.

Here's "Zippy" The hippie snowman.

Made the dreads from cotton balls that were unrolled.

I created from a blow mold xmas snowman.
Brought it to the Jerry Jam .
Eye candy....mixed reviews on that..some think its freaky looking.

DSCN3040.JPG

DSCN3041.JPG

DSCN3068.JPG

Here was my hobby before becoming a BAR. Its a Phil Thomas Super Sport 45. It runs on a 1527 1.5D NeuMotor, 240 Amp Castle Hydra Ice, 2-6S 5000mAh lipos. I had it running ovals at 60mph, now it sits in our storage room collecting dust. Still one of my favorite RC boats.

Can't go wrong with a Phil Thomas SS45. Mine has an Orlick Picco 45 under the cowl swinging a 1455.

sport40-04Nats.jpgDSC00288-b.jpg

While we're at it... Here's my 1/8 scale of the My Gypsy, 2004 I.M.P.B.A. Concourse winner.

scale-04Nats-3c.jpgMG-015-pretest.jpg

9086-13_l.jpg

I dropped the goofy wheels for some nice handmade ones from a great local outfit named Williams, which is also where I got the hat many of you have seen me in. Oh and no more white handlebar tape after a 40mph crash.

Boating in my inflatable
bombard.jpg
zodiac.jpg

Building Lego with my son
cliff and lego.jpg

Mushroom hunting
mush1.jpg
mush2.jpg
mush3.jpg

Crabbing
crab1.jpg
crab3.jpg

Keeping fish
tank1.jpg

Scuba diving
scuba.jpg

Sweet!!

I have the exact same one! I' think I've built all the Birdmobile models at least once! (Merlin is my favorite! this one; the Osprey, is just.. big!)

As posted earlier, my other hobbies are music (sax, guitar - play professionally as a side job), weather, fishing, camping, travel in general, CRAFT BEER, and Toyota 4x4s. Here's my new (to me) '13 Tacoma TRD Off-Road after a few mods:

taco.JPG

Sweet! What kind of tenor sax you have there? I play a Cannonball. I see an EWI too! That Aerophone is too cool...

Here's a few things I did back about 40 years ago.

Beautiful work!! My father in law is a professional artist and wood craftsman – primarily wood turning and watercolor. He can turn bowls so that the bark is only on the rim of the bowl. Takes some serious skill!

My wife and I are birders. We were going thru 25 lbs. of peanuts in the shell every 2 months or so. Blue Jays would start screaming for peanuts at 630am if I was not attentive to their needs. And the squirrels would stand up at the back door looking inside to see where I was.

My mother and inlaws are also birders – I also enjoy it. Sounds like you have those animals spoiled! The inlaws have one of those bird feeders that spins and throws off the squirrels – it’s hilarious. They feed the deer too – all of them in the neighborhood show up at their house!

This is a great thread, even if it makes me feel boring. :clap::clap::clap:

Took the letters right offa my keyboard.
The stuff here is so cool,
The skills to build, and the brains to imagine and design.
Pretty gutsy, building a rock crawler, then proving it will.
Any jeep can be a rock crawler, once.
To steal and change up a phrase.

what a great thread! I am amazed at the talent that is on this board! Just amazing people!

when I am not building rockets, I am building some plastic models..

000_1253a.jpg000_1264a.jpg

Attachments

• 000_1331a.jpg
    000_1331a.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 000_1336a.jpg
    000_1336a.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 107
I recently got into the world of flying multirotors. Started off with a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced about a month ago. It's a great quad just loaded down with tons of technology at a (relatively) low price. The next step (and I've already started doing the research) is building one myself.

22827454472_58ea53b892_b.jpg

Here is a shot taken while hovering over a salt marsh next to the Bay of Fundy. That's me and my mom standing on the dike in the middle of the picture.
22422633477_2cc48214af_b.jpg

Here's a Taiwanese coin that I cut as a gift. It's a form of scrimshaw.

Not my best work, but I never had worked with brass before, and managed to break more than half my 61 teeth/inch blades. I also wasn't familiar with the design prior to attempting to cut it. Next time I'll remember to bring a magnifying glass with me, and a 2nd coin to compare it with.

Actual size is about an inch in diameter.

Last edited:
Back