Shock cord to nosecone connection advice please...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
Does anyone have an easy method for connection of the shock cord to nosecone besides the molded eyelet? The nosecone is the 7.51" LOC plastic type. I want to use a Ubolt but am at a stalemate as to installing one without cutting the entire bottom off and installing a bulkhead. I have thought of cutting a couple slots in the side of the shoulder for access to the inside but tightening the nuts will be almost impossible without a gearwrench or similar. I suppose I could use a plain combination wrench but the slots would have to be fairly wide and I'm wanting to keep from having to cut out too much from the side of the nosecone. I really don't want to use an eyebolt but I may have to go that route...

Could you guys post some of the methods you have used so I can get a few ideas? Thanks !!!!

Does anyone have an easy method for connection of the shock cord to nosecone besides the molded eyelet? The nosecone is the 7.51" LOC plastic type.
Cut 2 slots opposide each other. Run TN in a hoop, connect the harness to that.

Attach the nose to a section of body tube with coupler. Mount a bulkhead there.

Bigone:
unless forced try not to use screw in hardware anymore on nosecones, balsa, plastic or styrene.
I much prefer an embedded Kevlar or Stainless Steel leader loop to the eye-screws. I usually wait until I'm ready to add nose weight if needed and incorporate the nosecone loop with the nose weight in whatever the approporate adhesive or combination is. Sometime adding a hardwood plug as well.

Cut 2 slots opposide each other. Run TN in a hoop, connect the harness to that.

I have done this with success on smaller (3 and 4") cones.

Also, if the cone has that "spout" cylinder at the center/base of the cone, you could get a course threaded ("lag") style eyebolt that will screw into the hole and get a good bite. Mix up som JB weld and fill the "hole" or "well" created by the neck of said snout, thread in the lag eye, and set it vertically (nose tip up) to let the JB weld set. That's how I did it on my L2 project. Solid!

Back