Shock Cord Attachment for LOC Athena-3

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gastrok

Reaction score
I bought a LOC Athena-3 from eRockets and I'm looking for suggestions on shock cord attachment. The directions indicate that the shock cord is attached to the forward centering ring using an eye bolt (see picture below). My kit does not have the eye bolt and the forward centering ring has a slot cut into it (see picture). I initially assumed that I should secure the shock cord around the motor tube behind the front centering ring and feed it through the slot, but then realize when I sandwich the finds between the rings there will be no place to loop the cord around the motor tube.

I just noticed that the kit might be missing a 4th centering ring. Hmmm. Maybe the kit included the wrong set of rings?

I emailed LOC but haven't heard back yet.

Suggestions?

20230914_133210.jpg
20230914_133148.jpg

Thanks!
G

Just heard back from LOC. They're sending me the 4th centering ring. Also, said that the shock cord should just be epoxied to the motor tube below the forward ring and fed through the notch. I'm good with that, but obviously I need to take care and not put it where it will be in the way of the fin tabs.

Just heard back from LOC. They're sending me the 4th centering ring. Also, said that the shock cord should just be epoxied to the motor tube below the forward ring and fed through the notch. I'm good with that, but obviously I need to take care and not put it where it will be in the way of the fin tabs.
Yeah you can do that too. Or go buy an eyelet and put(*edited) it in the forward CR. I use both options honestly it depends on the build. Glad you got an answer.

Last edited:
What shock cord was included with this kit? My 38mm 2.2 BBX came with this kevlar thread for a shock cord and a similar centering ring. My Athena-3 has an eye bolt and 4 centering rings.

What shock cord was included with this kit? My 38mm 2.2 BBX came with this kevlar thread for a shock cord and a similar centering ring. My Athena-3 has an eye bolt and 4 centering rings.
It included a nylon shock cord. The kit was clearly packed incorrectly but they made it right.

Incidentally, I discovered the rocksim file they have on their website is not the most up-to-date. They sent me the correct one. The one on there site shows the overall length just a bit under 60" but the rocket is actually just a hair under 56". Apparently they changed out the payload section from a 14" to 10". I don't know if they've updated the file on their site.

Yeah, the payload section changed and the length of the motor tube.

I would look at the volume of the body tube. The .7g charge in the G80-7 I used barley ejected the nose cone. I am now using a AeroTech 29/120 reload with the floating forward clusure and somewhere around 1g of black powder.

Yeah, the payload section changed and the length of the motor tube.

I would look at the volume of the body tube. The .7g charge in the G80-7 I used barley ejected the nose cone. I am now using a AeroTech 29/120 reload with the floating forward clusure and somewhere around 1g of black powder.
Good to know. I'm planning on flying it on a G40 in a couple weeks. Even considered flying it on an F67. I'll make sure the coupler is soaked in CA and sanded to a smooth/slick finish. Hopefully that will help avert ejection problems.

Back