LOC Onyx question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Curtis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The Onyx instructions says to epoxy to the body tube and attach the sock cord to that. However, the forward centering ring has a hole in it and a screw eye was included. The screw eye isn't mentioned in the component list nor is it mentioned. Are they just giving me options?

I would assume so. The kit is pretty old and the instructions may not have been updated. This is pretty typical for LOC, they seem to assume users have some experience with rocketry or want to experiment a bit. If

The Onyx instructions says to epoxy to the body tube and attach the sock cord to that.

LOC used to provide a short length of nylon cord with their kits. You were instructed to knot the ends of the cord and epoxy them to the inside of the airframe, leaving a loop hanging that you would tie the shock cord onto. Pics on request.

It sounds like the instructions may still reference that technique, though the kit has changed to provide an updated method.

One more question. How heat resistant is the nylon shock cord?
Jeff, I used the screw eye on my LOC Onyx, don't forget to epoxy both sides, especially the nut. I used 2000 pound kevlar (like 1/4 inch braided stuff) and I put a loop through the eyebolt that reaches to the top of the airframe. That way you can replace it (cut the loop, use it as a leader to pull new material through) if ever it becomes necessary. Then attach the kit shock cord (or more kevlar, why not?) to the loop and the the nose cone. I put an eyebolt in the nose cone too. Might be overkill, but it is sturdy, and I am not trying to set any altitude records.

I'd replace the included Nylon with something a little heavier like 500# Kevlar. I'd then either wrap it around the motor mount tube under the upper ring or tie a knot in the Kevlar and thread it through a hole in the upper centering ring and glue that in place.

Here are a couple of examples.

30.jpg5.jpg

LOC used to provide a short length of nylon cord with their kits. You were instructed to knot the ends of the cord and epoxy them to the inside of the airframe, leaving a loop hanging that you would tie the shock cord onto. Pics on request.

It sounds like the instructions may still reference that technique, though the kit has changed to provide an updated method.
The infamous LOC Loop!

Back