Septic system strikes back

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dbarrm

Reaction score
Well the saga continues. On the 24th I had my septic tank pumped out. All was good until Thursday night when it backed up AGAIN. Well I called around to a few places and asked a few questions. 84 where are you when I need you. I was told to find the drain field and go to the farthest point and dig till I found it and see if it had standing water in it or not. Well low and behold it had standing water. I dug lots of wholes and it seems that every run of the drain field is saturated. What to do now. I'm not going to pay thousands of dollars to replace the drain field when we are going to get city water in a year or two and have to pay for that also. Baby the system is not an option. I have 8 people in my house and if we all cut our water in half it will still be to much. So what to do…..

Idea

THE RETURN OF THE JEDI PLUMBER

I decided I was going to extend my drain field myself. Seems easy enough, find the pipe coming out of the tank to the drain field and tap off of it into a different part of the yard that is dry. The tank is in the front of the house in the middle of the yard with the drain field on the left side if looking at the house from the street. I got lucky and found the pipe coming out of the tank with only about 10 min of digging. The pipe came out of the front of the tank and then took a 90 into the drain field. All I had to do was tap into this pipe. Easier said then done. The level of the tank was above the level of the pipe due to the saturation of my drain field. Also when I dug all the dirt out around the pipe coming out of the tank I found that that pipe wasn’t a tight fit and the crap water was coming out from around the pipe filling in what I had dug with crap water up to the level of the tank. So what I ended up doing was continue to dig the trench letting the water flow into it as I dug until the tank drained enough to be at a level below the drain pipe from the tank. That didn’t happen until I finished the entire trench. Now this trench is about 1/1/2 foot wide and about 3 feet deep. When I stopped digging the tank and drain field back flow had all soaked into the new trench. I'm telling you digging in all this crap water and the smell was the nastiest thing I have ever done. New respect for plumbers. Now to figure out what I needed to do next. I had the wife go to Home Depot and get me some 1 ¼ PCV pipe and fittings. I drilled large holes all in and around the PVC and then wrapped it fine screen, attached all the pipe together and set it up to be laid in the new trench. I then lowered the trench about 3 inches below the level of the drain field feed pipe and filled it in with river rock up to the level of the pipe. Next I cut a hole in the drain field pipe to fin in the new PVC. I put the PVC in the trench and moved some rock around to make sure it was all level or on a down slope and pushed the PVC into the pipe a tad. I then wrapped this all in screen to make sure nothing would fall into these pipes. Now I put more river rock into the trench to cover all the pipes up about 3 inches of rock. Creating my new drain field. I left the ends of the trench uncovered so see if my system would work. Around the junction I put in extra rock for the leakage from the pipe joints and the leak from around the pipe coming from the concrete tank. Now for the test. I had the wife flush both bathrooms and run water in the sink to fill up the tank so it would drain into the drain field. Would you believe it, I had water dripping out of the holes and ends of the PVC. (I also had dug a hole about 5 feet away in the old drain field to make sure it would still be getting water and it was also. Now I put in the rest of the rock at the ends. Covered this all with 3 layers of screen to keep the dirt out and filled in the trench and replaced the grass. That night I kept the septic tank cap off to see how the level was and did a major test on the system. I had the wife wash the stuff I was wearing during this whole process and I took a shower. All the water that went into the tank flowed out with no backups. Its been 2 days now and still the level in the tank is staying where it should. With us cutting down on water and the addition to the drain field I think we should be ok until city water comes in next year. And if I have to ill add more lines off the main line I dug.

What fun I had this weekend.

Dan

We had to replace our drainfield this year too. They used sand before, but that caused problems. So now they are using gravel, which I heard is better.

I do not envey you!! Hope it works for a year! We have had 0 problems since we got our sewer. Altho, the ground where they dug the pipe is ~ 4 inches lower than the rest of the yard?

Good luck!

Hope you mean "city sewer" when you say "city water". I feel for you bro'. Before we moved last time, our drain field failed in one of the wettest ever southeast US springs. (This was just after we put the house on the market--bummer!) We moved into our new house with a septic tank half the size it needs to be with a 50 year old drain field. The wet weather's followed us as well so there are days when the yard's squishy and doesn't smell so hot.

We got county water a couple years back after the 1000 gallon underground fuel oil tank leaked 900 gallons into the ground and contaminated the well. Fortunately our homeowners insurance covered the big dig of all the contaminated soil. (I felt like we were number 12 on the list of super fund sites!) No county sewer on the horizon, unfortunately. Just a new, right sized tank and drain field eventually.

Moral of the story is you can't take it with you. Enjoy what you've got, take care of what you need to take care of, and make sure you've got a good credit rating, just in case. Actually, not "just in case", it's really "because you'll need it!"

Hope it all works out for you.

MetMan

Ah, the pains! My dad's coworker had a serious problem with his well. He's had to redo that as well as his septic system more than once I believe in one year!

All I hope is what I did will be enough to get us by along with cutting our watter usage down until we get the city water and sewer.

Dan

Our neighborhood has been fighting annexation by Fort Worthless for a couple years now.

One of the impacts would be the cost of hooking up to the city water/sewer system. With our multi-acre yards, I am several hundred feet down the street from my nearest neighbors. I am also 150 (or so) feet set back from the street. At the $$-per-foot rate that the city will charge, the new hookup for city water and sewer will cost more than my home did.

Be careful!

All these sad tales as well as a few others I've heard make me very glad I didn't buy a house with septic. (My town has both.) My quarterly water & sewer bill beats having to replace a septic tank any day, not to mention the thought of a "squishy" back yard!

Glenn

My quarterly water & sewer bill beats having to replace a septic tank any day, not to mention the thought of a "squishy" back yard!

But over the septic field in my yard is the only decent lawn I have!

Originally posted by sandman
But over the septic field in my yard is the only decent lawn I have!

Same here but now im going to have this strange green F in my yard also.

Dan

I grew up in the country, and have endured your tale, which is why I like living in the city. Of coarse, my present city sewer system sucks. Backs up evertime we get a big rain storm. But all it takes is a phone call.

Hated the well system even more. Orange / rotten egg smelling water in the summer, frozen pipes, clogged sandpipes, and burned out motors in the winter.

My folks faced annexation as well. Was going to cost them over $11,000.00 for the mandatory hook-up to the city system, plus the city "for health and safety" reasons was going to force them to take out the spetic system at their cost. Well, their love for the country stopped there and they put up the "For Sale" sign, sold out and said goodby Green Acres and hello city life.

I've never lived in a home with an operational septic system. I did, however, grow up in a home that USED to have a septic system, but had been switched over to city sewage. Unfortunately, the top of the septic tank collapsed one time and left a giant gaping hole in the back yard.

Oh, and did I mention that we didn't know that there had once been a septic tank buried under there? :eek:

WW

When I get city water Im going to turn mine into a bomb shelter.

LOL

Dan

LOL!

Well, I lived in the country since I was 11 years old (father retired early).

My father was an Italian immigrant and he was never 'sure" about the septic system...so we had 2 outhouses for the men to use.

Sure made the septic system last a long time!

Never been so happy to live in town in my life. I look at a story like this and it's not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when" and it's a tale I'm glad I didn't have to tell.

Well at least next time someone talks about there system backing up I can sit back and laugh saying, Yea I remember when I had to do that. Sucks to be you.

Dan

Back