Things learned late….

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would finish the title with “in life” but hope I have quite a few years left.
Things learned late…..
Today I made a discovery, or if I knew it at all had long forgotten about it.
I have worked with tools all my life, everything from hammers to jack hammers and everything in between.
I just finished a two week clean and restore of the master bath shower. Cleaning the hard water spots off the wall could only be done with polishing pads and bar keepers friend scouring powder. Two cans of that, and three polishing pads on a 90 degree motor. It was work….however the porcelain tiles are sparkling new again.
Once done with that I etched and sealed the pebbled floor and installed a long hair trap so Mrs very long hair will hopefully not make it down the drain to create the past frequently clogged shower drain.
The final task was to caulk the joint at the floor and wall. Out to the garage to get my caulking gun. I know I have one. Could I find it? Nope.
OK, they are cheap, Home Depot $4 later I have the caulking gun. Finish my job and clean up.
Today, everyone has gone to the river again, I stayed home to work (and not get devoured by those blood thirsty skitos again, more than 200 bites.
Son tried to count them, stopped at 200 and said “dad, there are too many!”)
Anyway back to the things learned…..
While cleaning up the garage, I found hanging on the rack, my caulking gun. Bottom of the can facing out. There on the front was a long spike rotated back so it was out of the way. Well DUH, dummy! Wonder what that is for!
I am quite ashamed to admit, that at nearly 64 years old, I learned that the tool has a spike for puncturing that hard to reach seal!
I”ve always used a long wire for that job. I knew the side has a scizzors blade to cut the tip, but that spike, until today….
I checked the new one from Home Depot, and low and behold there it is again.
If I ever knew it, I forgot it long ago.
This time? Lesson learned!

Your not alone. I didn't know what it was for either. I wasn't very handy until I got married and bought a house. I always used a wire too. Then I couldn't find a wire and I looked at the spike and said to myself, I wonder if that will work.

Your not alone. I didn't know what it was for either. I wasn't very handy until I got married and bought a house. I always used a wire too. Then I couldn't find a wire and I looked at the spike and said to myself, I wonder if that will work.
Thanks! Now I don't feel quite so bad!

I knew about the pokie-thing for the seal, but I'm sorry, there is a tip cutter on a caulking gun?! Thanks, it's not even 8am and I learned something today.

I knew about the pokie-thing for the seal, but I'm sorry, there is a tip cutter on a caulking gun?! Thanks, it's not even 8am and I learned something today.
Yep, little round hole on the left side. Stick the tip in, pull the trigger, a kinda sharp knife area slices the tip off.
Guess we both learned a little!

Condoms are cheaper than college funds. 😄
That depends. I had to pay child support for 3 kids once divorced from ex Mrs. Since I had the other two and had been cut off by her to visit my kids, she and her new hubby had to pay for the college funding of all three kids. Me?....not a penny!
However, I do relate it a similar way....I've only paid for sex one time in my life. That time cost me aprrox $350K!

overhauling the grill, put in new pezos, tomorrow new propane tubes. Gotta get the front piece back on, the one with all the knobs. 9 blind holes for 8-32 1/2 inch screws that are stainless steel. How to do that? take a piece of plastic wrap, poke the screw thru. Put the screwdriver on and wrap the plastic wrap around the shaft of the screwdriver, vola, a holder for non-magnetic screws.....

Back