3D Printing Scarf seams for 3D printing in development

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai88

Lvl 2, Wallet..even more destroyed
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you've ever worked with wood, you probably know what a scarf joint is and why you would want to use it.

If you're reading this, you probably have experienced yucky standard seams in your 3D prints.

Looks like folks are working on a development for Orca slicer (which, if it works with relative ease for the end user will probably propagate into Cura, Prusa, and Bambu) that makes scarf seams which practically makes seams disappear.

Check out this video:

I saw this - quite an interesting development since so many of our Rocketry 3D parts do not have sharp edges for hiding seams. Looking forward to it coming into the production release (lots of fine tuning happening now I think).

This is really neat. I wonder how much this will improve threads.

I watched this video last Friday soon after it was posted. Great development and exactly why I use orca instead of bambu studio. It was also interesting to see how the X1 Plus team was involved. Open source FTW. I don't think I would have bought a BBL printer if orca was not an option. Sure the OEMs have deeper pockets but I just don't see how they can compete with a massive user community when it comes to SW improvements.

Latest posts

Back