3D Printing Folk --- Commission?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
I'm looking for someone that "does" 3D printing, that might be able to reproduce a small plastic part for me.
I'm not looking for a freebie....I'm assuming that I would commission the work, and pay for it of course.
This is not a rocket component.

I don't really know anything about 3D printing, but I think this would be a relatively easy thing to make?
I'm assuming that I would want it to be in however hard/tough a plastic as is practical.

These two pics show different sides, with a quarter next to it to give you an idea of the size:
fstndA.jpg
fstndB.jpg

I figure that I would send the actual piece I have to you, and you could do whatever you need to copy it.
I'd probably want a couple units, maybe as much as 5 or 6.

If this is something that would be possible/practical for you to do, and you would be interested in "the job", pm me and let's talk.
thanks,
s6

This would probably be best done on a resin printer due to the smaller details and overall size. You could always go with a service like pcbway. They can resin print or sls print it (sls would be stronger but not as smooth or high resolution). Then all you need to do is get it modeled.

This would probably be best done on a resin printer due to the smaller details and overall size. You could always go with a service like pcbway. They can resin print or sls print it (sls would be stronger but not as smooth or high resolution). Then all you need to do is get it modeled.
Thanks for the response.
Like I said, I don't really know anything about 3D printing, or resin/sls for that matter.

If I go this route, how do I go about getting it modeled?

s6

Mould it in silicone and cast into the silicone mould in urethane choose the appropriate stiffness for your urethane (shore 80D probably) It's too small to get reliable FDM parts. You could resin print it, but modelling would be annoying for 5-6 parts
Here's a video on silicone mould making using basic silicone caulk.
Or you can buy the more expensive proper stuff. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/375128313707? and follow one of the paper cup mould tutorials on youtube.

Last edited:
I'm being educated!

So, I'm seeing lots of youtube videos and tutorials on different ways to go about making silicone molds. Seems pretty doable.

I'm seeing less info regarding the actual casting........most seem to be assuming things like wax or plaster or other "not very tough" materials. Resin casting is shown a fair bit, but again, most of the tutorials seem to be oriented towards making things that look nice (artistic stuff, props, toys, knicknacks, etc.), but not necessarily durable components.

I know that some of the more durable, "tough" plastic components I'm familiar with often state that they are made from stuff like "glass infused nylon" and other materials. Is it feasible to use the silicone-mold-casting method with that type (or similar) material? Or are there pourable resins that have similar qualities?

s6

I'm being educated!

So, I'm seeing lots of youtube videos and tutorials on different ways to go about making silicone molds. Seems pretty doable.

I'm seeing less info regarding the actual casting........most seem to be assuming things like wax or plaster or other "not very tough" materials. Resin casting is shown a fair bit, but again, most of the tutorials seem to be oriented towards making things that look nice (artistic stuff, props, toys, knicknacks, etc.), but not necessarily durable components.

I know that some of the more durable, "tough" plastic components I'm familiar with often state that they are made from stuff like "glass infused nylon" and other materials. Is it feasible to use the silicone-mold-casting method with that type (or similar) material? Or are there pourable resins that have similar qualities?

s6
Glass filled is probably not an option without a bit of experience. The casting materials come with instructions. You'll need reasonable scales.0.1 g resolution would be ideal but 1g is ok if quantities are large enough.
You want enough urethane for the parts. Weigh the one you've got, double it and you should have enough for your small part plus wastage. Couple of drops of black dye, fiberglass dye is fine. When it's mixed you can pour.
I couldn't see much info on urethane selection, but Shore 80D is the hardness I'd start with. Plenty of different manufacturers of it. You'd want something with a 5-6 min working time 20 set.
Google. moldmaking supplies and visit a supplier near you. They'd be able to assist better. As I'm in Australia, there's no point in me reccimmending a supplier. Visit them and ask for help.
If you're coming to OZ, bring the part and I'll mould and cast it for you It's aboul 1-2 hours work for 4 parts.
Good luck
Norm

Back