SCALE - V2 Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks great! What did you use for staging? Is this a scrath build?

This was one out team built for a Naram event a couple of years ago in Pueblo. It never made it there because of some logistical issues but it was a lot of fun to build. This version is scratch built and is the first test flight so the detailing was not done. This is a 4" dia rocket with a carbon fiber tail cone to reduce weight and help to change the cg. The flight shown we are using a G something (I don't remember) and the bumper has an A motor to keep the altitude a bit lower. It's performance was much better than we anticipated and the staging was flawless with perfect recovery.

View attachment 92237View attachment 92238View attachment 92239

What did you use for staging?

peace and love and A4, the hippie version (Noris 18mm) and a 4" scatch-built (unpaint so far) with 38mm H hybrid contrail motor (20")
IMG_2533.jpgIMG_2534.JPG

Last edited:
now with paint..I could not resist today: on October 3rd, 70 years of the first flight of the Agregat 4 (A4) in Peenemünde..1942

here you go:

K_IMG_31491.jpgK_IMG_31492.jpgK_IMG_31493.jpg

well...it is scaled around a 4 inches PML tube...35 inches long in total, following the real proportion, under 10 caliber...successfull flight yesterday with an hybrid motor 38mm, 20 inches, absolutely awesome...pictures following..

Last edited:
And now for something completely different....

100_2867.jpg

...my original Centuri V-2 from about 1970. I found it in the attic when I was cleaning out Mom & Dad's house a few years ago, and only recently got around to refurbishing it. It's light blue because that was Mom's favorite color.

Here we are! After many months and learning and trying to fit in rocketry to a hectic schedule I've finally finished my first two rockets.

An Estes D Region Tomahawk and an Estes V2.

My Tomahawk carries a DIY half moon baffle system in the coupler, with kevlar and a snap swivel attachment to an upgraded 24inch chute, and my V2 is mostly stock but again with a kevlar shock cord and snap swivel chute attachment.

I found the building of these two very easy, considering they are my first builds. Balsa was a bit of a learning curve in the V2, and wasn't aware of coating or filling techniques till it was too late. Therefore I have some weak fins and you can see the grain through the paint, but a lesson learned.

I found painting the hardest, with the Tomahawk my first Guinea pig. Poor thing, not enough patience and some cold conditions cracked the paint, and I only used Tamiya masking tape on the edges instead of all over so the paint seaped through the cheap masking tape I was using for bigger areas. This left me having to do this black and red scheme as to hide the ruined white surface underneath. Nevermind!

My fillets leave a lot to be desired on the V2, and I tripped over one day and snapped a fin but managed to repair it okay. I'm sure my fillets will be better next time. What is best to use for fillets?

My oh my was that black and white test patter hard to paint, but for my second ever try it came out surprisingly well! The masking gave me a headache but the Tamiya tape gave me neat clean lines, and I only mucked up a few times, barely noticeable from this distance.

Now I finally get to launch them the weekend after next! Thanks everyone for the help they put in to me starting out in rocketry, I'm now ordering a Mini HoJo to continue my scale collection!

View attachment 130079

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• IMG_20130520_165508.jpg
    IMG_20130520_165508.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 49
Not sure if this is the right place, but gotta say as a new member, the galleries section is hugely over complicated!

Anyway, here's my retro build Canadian Arrow, from an estes V2 kit, I wanted something different so it's got a custom paint job based on the original with the colours of the Red Arrows display team (I'm British). Probably a much heavier build than it needed to be, but I wanted it to improve my finishing skills and I'm sure it's built to last.IMG_3428.jpgIMG_3435.jpg

Not sure if this is the right place, but gotta say as a new member, the galleries section is hugely over complicated!

Anyway, here's my retro build Canadian Arrow, from an estes V2 kit, I wanted something different so it's got a custom paint job based on the original with the colours of the Red Arrows display team (I'm British). Probably a much heavier build than it needed to be, but I wanted it to improve my finishing skills and I'm sure it's built to last.View attachment 133561View attachment 133562

Nice Paint job! And welcome to the forum! The Estes V2 has always been on my "to buy" list.

Thanks guys! There's something about the V2's shape that's just so....satisfying to look at. I am still debating whether to sand back the red lines and respray as a solid block of colour

I also built a Currell V2. Great paper model and I recommend it greatly. I built mine with a central 18mm tube. I used a spent motor casing as noseweight and as the method for keeping the NC on. It just slides into the top of the central tube and acts like a piston for ejection. The shock cord and streamer sit in the free space in the NC. Keeps things nice and clean, and no burning cardstock. :grin:

Flies great on B6-4 motors. Due to the small soccer ground I fly LPR at, I have never been game to put a C6 in it.

View attachment 137804View attachment 137805

Hi there,

I have made a 3D printable V2 model. It had to be printable in ceramics so the tip is less sharp and the wings are wider. But I think it still looks okay. Please tell me what you think:

674x501_1145390_1122547_1373294920.jpg
674x501_1145390_1122548_1373294557.jpg

If you would like to have one too:

https://shpws.me/owuL

Last edited:
Here's my Centuri V2. Made by my band teacher (Mr. D) in Ashland Middle School, Ashland, Oregon. Back in the 80's I purchased this, his Centuri Saturn V, his Mach 10, and a Trident, along with a 1971 Estes Catalog for $10 if I remember correctly.

I have flown it on several occasions, but as it is now 40ish years old, I don't want to risk damaging it further or losing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Estes V2 (#3228) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: V2 Also known as: V2 Semi Scale

NUMBER: #3228

Introduced: 2012
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Scale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute