novice questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbooregon

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm just starting out in trying my hand at scale and can't find how-to detailing technique articles. Lots of the math of scaling and such, but little on technique.
So for instance I have a Peter Alway paint pattern scale drawing of the Black Brant 2 from 2003 and on it he specifies a number of places that there are screws and their number. How does one apply them? Simply dot them on with a marker or paint? I'm starting with the Estes BB2 kit and not sure of the scale it's made to..awaiting electronic calipers to try and determine that. Surely at 1:13 or so scale one wouldn't even see them??
Any advice welcome. I'm starting out with the Estes kit and an ASP WAC Corporal.
Thanks MS in advance.
Cheers

Hi all,
I'm just starting out in trying my hand at scale and can't find how-to detailing technique articles. Lots of the math of scaling and such, but little on technique.
So for instance I have a Peter Alway paint pattern scale drawing of the Black Brant 2 from 2003 and on it he specifies a number of places that there are screws and their number. How does one apply them? Simply dot them on with a marker or paint? I'm starting with the Estes BB2 kit and not sure of the scale it's made to..awaiting electronic calipers to try and determine that. Surely at 1:13 or so scale one wouldn't even see them??
Any advice welcome. I'm starting out with the Estes kit and an ASP WAC Corporal.
Thanks MS in advance.
Cheers
How detailed you want to go with scale is entirely up to you. If you're just building a sport model for yourself, it might be reasonable to just leave those screw heads off. If you're looking to win a contest, or you really do want to go that far, a dot of paint, a tiny round sticker, or a pinhead are all decent ways to include fastener heads on a scale model.

Personally, I don't usually go that far because I know that however perfect my model looks, the finish is going to get roughed up after flying a few times.

Surely at 1:13 or so scale one wouldn't even see them??

My immediate thought was that the Estes BB2 is too small for any meaningful scale details, in my opinion. I agree with this, that any small detail (such as fastener heads) would be so small at that scale they might as well be invisible. My humble suggestion is to save the time/effort of scale details for larger rockets (for example, say a 4" Black Brant, or something like that)

Spitfire (and all) if the Estes BB2 is too small for "meaningful" detail work are you saying that scaling is mainly for low-power and high power sized rockets?

Spitfire (and all) if the Estes BB2 is too small for "meaningful" detail work are you saying that scaling is mainly for low-power and high power sized rockets?
Your question doesn't make a lot of sense, could you please clarify? The way it's worded, it's like saying something is "only for indoor or outdoor use."

It seems like he was saying larger rockets, four inch would require high power, are best for scale detailing. I'm asking if he thinks smaller low power rockets aren't suitable.

I'll mention that when I include crazy tiny details like numbers of screws, it's because my source had the information, and I figured someone would be crazy enough to actually do the right number of screws. Truth be told, often trying to include every tiny doodad can detract from the model. It's unlikely that you can paint on screws well enough to make the model look better with the screws than without them.

That said, if you've got a way to make them look good, there's no model too small to include them. If you can make decals that look good, with no decal film showing, then that's an excellent choice. If you've worked out some sort of jig that allows you to place dots of paint perfectly with a toothpick, go for it. But if you practice on a scrap of tubing and your screws, however you make them, look like crap, the build the model without them.

The advantage of scratch-building is that you have the option of testing something out without using crucial kit parts.

Mostly, though, just dig in and build something.

Actually, there is a vast amount of detailing technique information available. When you Google for detailing models, do it for model airplanes...not rockets.

How much scale detail you put into a work is entirely up to the builder. I sometimes go overboard, at least I think so. For the most part, you cannot see the detail when being flown. For example the P-47 cockpit, Everything is the exact size and in place where it should be. The damn seat even adjusts. You cannot see it in the air, nor can you even see it well on the ground with the canopy slid forward. But, I know it's there. The aluminum tape lends to being able to do a lot of detail, rivets, screws and panels. All the panels are the correct size, shape and location. The number of fasteners are correct for each panel. There are over 63,000 rivets on a Jug. I think I got them all :)
If I did not do this, it would just not look right to me.
Most people make screw heads way too big. If you scaled up their size, it would be the size of your hand. They are hard to do to make them look real. So, on panels such as gun ports, ammo hatches, ones that really stick out. I use real fasteners. You can buy 00-80 screws, they are really tiny, but look the best.
You can see some of the detail on the V-2, on its first flight it might have come in like the full size, but I still put in the work.
So the moral of all this rant is, do what makes you happy and what makes you proud of your work. Good luck, and we better see pics when done.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.JPG
    IMG_0071.JPG
    973.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0073.JPG
    IMG_0073.JPG
    696.6 KB · Views: 0
  • P-47 Cockpit 001.JPG
    P-47 Cockpit 001.JPG
    942.8 KB · Views: 0
  • P-47 Cockpit 002.JPG
    P-47 Cockpit 002.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • P-47 cockpit and pilot 007.JPG
    P-47 cockpit and pilot 007.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 0
  • TF P-47 Pengie III  #2 007.JPG
    TF P-47 Pengie III #2 007.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • TF P-47 Pengie III  #2 009.JPG
    TF P-47 Pengie III #2 009.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • V2 painted 005.JPG
    V2 painted 005.JPG
    557.1 KB · Views: 0
  • V2 painted 010.JPG
    V2 painted 010.JPG
    858.9 KB · Views: 0
  • V2 painted 025.JPG
    V2 painted 025.JPG
    773.6 KB · Views: 0
Awesome work David.
I know what you're saying. When I did model train work only I knew how important that little bit, that most people didn't even know it was used for, was to make it a "real" model.
You're right. Do what one finds most satisfying. After all it's a hobby to enjoy ones free time.

How much scale detail you put into a work is entirely up to the builder. I sometimes go overboard, at least I think so. For the most part, you cannot see the detail when being flown. For example the P-47 cockpit, Everything is the exact size and in place where it should be. The damn seat even adjusts. You cannot see it in the air, nor can you even see it well on the ground with the canopy slid forward. But, I know it's there. The aluminum tape lends to being able to do a lot of detail, rivets, screws and panels. All the panels are the correct size, shape and location. The number of fasteners are correct for each panel. There are over 63,000 rivets on a Jug. I think I got them all :)
If I did not do this, it would just not look right to me.
Most people make screw heads way too big. If you scaled up their size, it would be the size of your hand. They are hard to do to make them look real. So, on panels such as gun ports, ammo hatches, ones that really stick out. I use real fasteners. You can buy 00-80 screws, they are really tiny, but look the best.
You can see some of the detail on the V-2, on its first flight it might have come in like the full size, but I still put in the work.
So the moral of all this rant is, do what makes you happy and what makes you proud of your work. Good luck, and we better see pics when done.
That is amazing!!

You are very talented and dedicated!

Both of those qualities are not often found in one person.

Back