36DD (Dual Deployment)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstachwick

LPR/MPR sport flier with an eye to HPR and scale
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
On a routine visit to Discount Hobby Warehouse to acquire some tubing, couplers, and motors, I happened upon their OOP collection. One rocket in particular stared at me, giving me puppy dog eyes and perhaps even performing a Jedi Mind Trick. “You will take me home,” it said.

I must be pretty weak-minded fool, because I plunked down the cash for it and I’m coming up with project ideas like mad! I didn’t even wait to get home before starting this thread.

IMG_0766.jpeg

With my L1 project drawing to a close and an attempt scheduled for Saturday, I’ve been wrangling with an L2 project. LONG ago I selected a Madcow Torrent for this, but the expected apogee greater than 3000ft for a J motor in that airframe means that I can either chase it or become proficient with a DD system.

The Estes 36 D Squared, presumably given a different name during development, presents a unique platform to practice these techniques at smaller scale and relatively low cost, being equipped with a BT-60 payload bay and a transition piece to a much larger parachute compartment. I had actually wanted to get one of these for DART’s Geezer TARC competition, but EBay’s resellers were simply not forthcoming.

Aside from this I could fly it in the low-, mid- and Class 1 high-power (for sparky propellant) classification. I’ll likely end up installing a few mods to make it more friendly to typical mid- and high-power ground support and motors, namely rail buttons and papered fins.

This kit was also not super well-documented when I looked. A few people commented on some dimensional data being lacking, so I’ll be scanning everything with a ruler thrown in before assembly. Buying and documenting this kit could potentially be a service to future cloners.

Not to mention that decorating it in a hot pink paint job would certainly draw a bit of attention on the range.

I love my 36D Squared! That being said, it's not as beefy as you might think, and it's pretty light for DD. Don't get me wrong - it's a great flyer, but even on 2 E black powder motors, a DD setup would be a lot of weight. The "Dsquared" part of the name isn't for "dual deployment"...it's a play on words in a different way.
In my opinion (so, take it with a grain of salt), it's easier to learn dual deploy with a big mid power/L1 sized rocket. I got my level one, then built a LOC/Precision Nuke Pro Maxx with an 11" extension, and built that with an altimeter bay. It can fly in pretty much any G or H motor I can find, and does a great job with it! I relatively inexpensive way to learn dual deployment!

I love my 36D Squared! That being said, it's not as beefy as you might think, and it's pretty light for DD. Don't get me wrong - it's a great flyer, but even on 2 E black powder motors, a DD setup would be a lot of weight. The "Dsquared" part of the name isn't for "dual deployment"...it's a play on words in a different way.

I’m aware 😉 It lines up with my sense of humor perfectly.

Good point on the weight though. That Torrent comes with a payload bay anyway, maybe exploring the ins and outs of the L1 range with it and doing a few DD practice flights might be better.

I’ve got a bunch of ideas for strengthening the 36 D Squared to cope with the added stress of higher thrust/impulse motor but maybe I need to run a simulation or two.

Still, it was $25. Not much loss if that goal turns out to be infeasible, I have others.

In my opinion (so, take it with a grain of salt), it's easier to learn dual deploy with a big mid power/L1 sized rocket. I got my level one, then built a LOC/Precision Nuke Pro Maxx with an 11" extension, and built that with an altimeter bay. It can fly in pretty much any G or H motor I can find, and does a great job with it! I relatively inexpensive way to learn dual deployment!
You’re making that Torrent look prettier and prettier.

Last edited:
Making my 'pitch' once again for this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...aved-with-practice-psii-trainer-fleet.140897/
It was my inspiration to acquire Estes PS II parts (2.5" airframe) and build my own near-copy of a Wildman Darkstar 2.6, but in cardboard/plywood as my dual-deployment trainer.

1660' on a G80 last time with apogee and main deployments controlled by a Stratologger CF, motor eject back-up.

Love that rocket! I just flew my 36DD a few months ago on (2) E12-6 motors. It’s mostly stock built with the exception of a small JL Alt2 sled and vent holes in the payload bay.

I used a JL chute release at 300’, JL Alt2 shows 1,289’ altitude.

It was a beautiful flight!

I have a decent OpenRocket file for it if you’re interested.

I wasn't thinking ahead when I built this. I built it stock so it will only fit the 70mm D length motor, not the 97mm E length. I wish I had left the engine blocks out of it.

(2) E12-6 friction fit on the inside, a little extra tape on the outside. Don't laugh, it worked! :)

20231017_211018988_iOS.jpg

The kit from Esteses with fins shaped like breasteses!

So naughty. So not PC and Sexist. Original name rumored to be 36 Double D Cup (36 DD)! 36" tall, 2xD12 cluster, shapely fins. Internal Marketing and Legal memo must have said something like: "Change it. I'm sure you math guys can figure a different name out!" :)

Great kit. I had two. Flew the first one to destruction and eventually lost the second one back in the trees on two E9s and too much breeze up high.

Back