RockSim Motor Flustration

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Figured this would be the appropriate place to post..Anyhow, I am flustered/frustrated(how FLUSTRATED came about) with RockSim while trying to add a new motor to my database.:mad: I have added motors numerous times before with the File->Reload Engines routine and they show up right away when I open a design and go to the motor selection screen..Now, however, I am trying to add the file downloaded from Thrustcurve.org for the K805 motor and am not having ANY luck!
Here is what I have done:
1. Clicked the 'download now' button and Firefox opens a window asking if I want to open the file with EngEdit. I say 'yes' and EngEdit is loaded and the file is opened displaying all its goodies.
2. I go to File->Save As..in EngEdit to save the file in my RockSim data directory as K805G.eng
3.Window opens up saying that some features of the file can't be saved unless saved in the RockSim format(.RSE) continue anyway? I click on yes.
4.Fire up RockSim..Go to Reload Motors and the K805G.eng file is there.I highlight it and click add and then ok..
5. Open design and go to motor selection screen and scroll thru all the choices and the K805G is not there!
6.Tried again but in step 2 I changed the extension to .RSE as per EngEdit prompting. But, when I go to reload motors in RockSim it doesn't show up to be added to the database!
Hope you can feel my flustration!

I know I can get the 'raw' datafile by copying/pasting..Would I do that in a plain text editor? And if so save it with which extension, ENG or RSE???:confused:

Probably sure the solution is one of those 'DOH!' things..So, tell me, so I can smack my forehead and say "DOH! Why didn't I think of THAT!" ;)

Two things
1) why are you opening the file. The best thing is to directly save the file from Thrustcurve THEN open it. Not sure if this makes a difference, but....

Here's what you need to do after saving the new engine file somewhere

2) Rocksim 8 requires files to be in the RSE format. Simply renaming a ENG to RSE doesn't work because the formats are completely different. An easy way to this is to ADD the ENG file you downloaded to the motor maunfacturers RSE file using EngEdit. Once that's done, open Rocksim and Reload engine (under file menu). Now, remove the RSE file you just added the motor to then re-add it. This will reload your newly updated file that contains the new engine.

You should now be able to find the motor when you select that manufacturer in your motor loading screen.

I still have them in .ENG form ( as far as I know ). Try putting them in the correct folder, that's the problem I always had when adding to the database.

JD

It would be sweet if emrr would update thier motor data base. I was looking for the h250G and went to the spot and it is still the 1-9-08 file I got awhile ago. That was surely the easiest update for everything.

It's not hard to add motors & you don't need RocSim to do it either.
just open any .eng file with wordpad then copy & paste your motors in to the file you want.

JD

It would be sweet if emrr would update thier motor data base. I was looking for the h250G and went to the spot and it is still the 1-9-08 file I got awhile ago. That was surely the easiest update for everything.

If all else fails, go to the Apogee website and watch the tutorials on Rocksim. There is one in there on loading engines into the data file.

Back