reloading motor in the field

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never used a reloadable motor, but I would like to someday. However, for the first few (or most) launches, it'll be a launch-once-at-the-field affair, then take it home to clean a few hours later. But there's a consenus here that cleaning in the field is usually easier than waiting to get home.

That being said, is it ok to toss a partially (or completely) disassembled motor casing into a sealed tub or large container of vinegar for a few hours until I get home? Then after a few hours of soaking, it's no more difficult to clean at home?

I do not clean my cases in the field unless I need to reload it for another flight. I usually clean them the next day. I do not grease the liners and make sure the liners are not a real tight fit. If it is hard to get in it will be harder to get out.
I would not recomend soaking the in vinegar.

I wouldn't use vinegar. It can damage you case over time. Also, if you use any cleaner, make sure it doesn't have bleach in it. I found out the hard way that doesn't end well (pitting). Nowadays I just use gun cleaner. Works extremely well.

Last edited:
I've never used a reloadable motor, but I would like to someday. However, for the first few (or most) launches, it'll be a launch-once-at-the-field affair, then take it home to clean a few hours later. But there's a consenus here that cleaning in the field is usually easier than waiting to get home.

That being said, is it ok to toss a partially (or completely) disassembled motor casing into a sealed tub or large container of vinegar for a few hours until I get home? Then after a few hours of soaking, it's no more difficult to clean at home?

The discussion can make it seem like these cases are a huge maintenance issue. That's not my experience.

If you can't clean on the field, just open them and push all the mess out while warm. Pull out the delay liner, spray with WD40 (or gun cleaner, etc) and finish at home. I think I've had one stubborn liner that required a half hour or so of elbow grease. Normally, I spend about 5-10 minutes at the field cleaning or 10-15 minutes at home.

I been using reloads since they came out in the 90's, and I have learned that it's best not to grease the liner.
It would be interesting to do a poll about this. I feel like there are two distinct camps, one which says to never use grease and one that says to always use it.

FWIW, I've not always greased, but when I have I've used Superlube. I've had liners get stuck both ways but I want to say it's less common with a thin film of Superlube. It may be that other grease options are totally different.

On smaller cases I've reused on the field with only as much time between flights as it takes for the case to cool off. Quick wipe with a baby wipe and you're usually good to go again. I don't bother to grease cardboard liners.

Bottom line, you’re just wiping it down. Then clean the stubborn spots.

With a 29mm like yours:
Most of the time, I soak a shop rag in WD40 and twist it through with a dowel. Double it up to make it fit tight. Push it through a couple of times and clean the threads with a brush. If parts of the old liner stick, use the dowel to nudge them. Run some dry towels through, and that’s usually good.

Note: I grease the outside of my liners and I think it helps with removal. Not everyone agrees.
I agree ... FWIW ...

And I have always use Vaseline because that's what the old instructions used to say to use when you ran out of the tiny tube of goo that came with my cases ...

I've assembled the Hobby Line motors on the field before and you can do it. One thing to be aware of is that I almost always have to peel the outer layer of the liner to get it in the casing. I have one of these silicone mats from Harbor Freight in my range box that I use when I need to work on an motor. Now that I have a few Hobby Line casings (1x 18mm, 2x 24mm, 1x 29mm) I almost always build them the night before when I'm prepping my rockets.
I also suggest putting a piece of masking tape on the casing before you load it with what the reload and delay are going to be, so you don't forget.

Hello everyone!

I made some inquiries 2 years ago about motor casings and reloads. I did not follow up with the information at that time. I would like to save money like anyone else so I’m planning on educating myself.

I fly only mid-power rockets with mostly 24mm motors. I have only one question I would like to know before I start. Is it practical to fly, clean, reload, and fly again with only one casing in the field? I am interested in the larger selection of motors with the reloads over single use.

Thanks

steve
I love my 24/40 case, and have routinely built/flown/cleaned/built/flown/cleaned the case at the field. After you've done a few, it doesn't take too long to build a reload, and cleaning that case is pretty quick and easy as well.

I find it interesting the number of folks who use solvents (WD40, gun cleaner, etc) to clean their cases. When I first got into the hobby, I used gun cleaner, because everyone else did. I always found I was left with an oily case, which was annoying to deal with, stained clothes, etc. I stopped doing that and pivoted to just using baby wipes - I may that change probably 15 years ago, and have rarely had a spot that baby wipes wouldn't easily remove, unless I left it for another day.

Push the junk out at the field, gift it at least a cursory wipe with baby wipes, and you'll find you don't need to always come home smelling like you rolled around in a puddle of petrochemicals.

-Kevin

Push the junk out at the field, gift it at least a cursory wipe with baby wipes, and you'll find you don't need to always come home smelling like you rolled around in a puddle of petrochemicals.
And to put it like the crew on the anti-gravity group podcast, once you go to tub-o-towels, baby wipes are out.

Using a Hobbyline case, I aways clean it at the field, if I plan to fly it again or not. All that is needed is a baby wipe and a finger, no brushes or tools required.

I've done so many Hobbyline reloads it only takes about 3 minutes tops to have it ready to fly again.

My advice to the OP, use the reloads. Cleaning and reloading really don't take much time away from flying. The wait at the RSO is probably longer.

I find it interesting the number of folks who use solvents (WD40, gun cleaner, etc) to clean their cases. When I first got into the hobby, I used gun cleaner, because everyone else did. I always found I was left with an oily case, which was annoying to deal with, stained clothes, etc. I stopped doing that and pivoted to just using baby wipes - I may that change probably 15 years ago, and have rarely had a spot that baby wipes wouldn't easily remove, unless I left it for another day.

-Kevin
My thoughts exactly. And what baby wipes can't get alone, Windex and baby wipes can.

I love my 24/40 case, and have routinely built/flown/cleaned/built/flown/cleaned the case at the field. After you've done a few, it doesn't take too long to build a reload, and cleaning that case is pretty quick and easy as well.

I'll second that. And actually, it is often easier to get the liner out and clean the motor while it is still warm from the last launch, compared to waiting until I get home and unpack the car.

I particularly like the 24/40 motor, it is very economical and easy & fun to use. But I usually fly it along with other single use motors, there are quite a few economical 24mm and 29mm options.

Back