Rockets exceeding 37 km (121 kft)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John, not to derail, but where is the line between steel mass distributed in things like quick disconnects, swivels, electrical motors/servo's, threaded rods, rebar, etc? Is the concern the ballistic coefficient of falling debris?
I've been wondering that myself after reading the NAR safety code and then looking at steel eyebolts, washers, steel shot being used for noseweight, etc etc... Seems to me you'll get thrown off the field if your rocket has a steel shell, but if you fill your paper or fiberglass rocket with steel bits inside, then there's no issue.

John, not to derail, but where is the line between steel mass distributed in things like quick disconnects, swivels, electrical motors/servo's, threaded rods, rebar, etc? Is the concern the ballistic coefficient of falling debris?
My interpretation is: no significant steel due to fragmentation at liftoff or ballistic impact. Ballistic coefficient for a small steel tube wouldn't be an issue.

I'm more curious, if you collect the air sample in a container, how do you get it out?

Back