rOcketober Best Rocket Competition - Scary Halloween MPR/HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Firstly a shameless plug for our wonderful sponsor this month! A BIG thank you goes out to Sticker Shock, producers of truly awesome vinyl stickers ! Check out the site! I am sure there is a sticker set there that you need or want!

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per month.
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme
Well, rOcketober is the month that brings on All Hallowed Night or Halloween as it is now called..So, lets see your best Halloween rockets! Got a flying coffin? Post it! Got a flying vampire with a motor in his tookus? Post it! Got an orange and black rocket? Post it!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)
This month's prize is $25 towards any web based item at Sticker Shock, either a regular design or your own custom design.

So, let's get those entries in!

This contest is SCARY!!!!!!!!!!!!:dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark::dark:

Ok, so here's my rocket. It's called "la revedere de dovleac" which is Romanian for "goodbye pumpkin" I flew it last year. It flew once (and was recovered) in testing, then we put it up on two G80's for CATO's punkin chunkin contest. Unfortunately the shock cord got tangled with the punkin's 9 foot drop-cloth chute and was last seen drifting away at about a mile in altitude, lost to sight at over 10 minutes! We won the contest but never got it back.

The rocket is a scratch built rocket, 4 inches in diameter with 2 29 mm motor mounts. Because we fly at CATO and must abide by LMR rules, with a 6 ounce punkin and the large chute it weighed 3.1 pounds.

The first picture is the rocket with it's custom Halloween shroud, designed to keep the rocket a surprise until flown. You should have seen the LCO trying to pronounce the name of the rocket!

la revedere de dovleac.JPG

la revedere de dovleac 2.JPG

Here is mine. I was lucky enough to order one of these while Thrustline was up and running. The decals are from StickerShock. It jas flown a couple of times, screams on a D12.

Pumpkin-Shadow4.jpg

Pumpkin-Shadow3.jpg

This is the Rocketry Warehouse October 'special' with a few modifications.

Since this is a short rocket with a 54mm engine, I opted for dual deploy out of the nosecone (no ebay), using a giant pumpkin parachute, and orange shock chord. The pumpkin parachute will remain bound post apogee deployment until my homebrew altimeter cuts the binding wires it at 400 feet - or, I will have to rename the rocket "smashing pumpkin" :> The rocket will fly with the witch hat - it also has a custom latching mechanism to ensure it doesn't fly off, or interfere with the flight.

The only issue I had was figuring out how to add a witch hat to rocksim.....

pumpkin.jpg

pumpkin.jpg

Back in the fall of 2006, I spied a molded plastic lawn ornament in a local store. Hmmm, I thought, I could make that into a rocket...

"It's the Great Pumpkin Rocket, Charlie Brown!" started life as a light-up lawn decoration that I purchased at Menards. It's made of blow-molded orange plastic and looks like a stack of jack-o-lanterns. The plastic pumpkins act as an aerodynamic shroud and the top one as the nose cone. Inside is the true rocket - built around 3" LOC tubing with a 38mm motor mount. The fins are big pieces of clear 3/16" plexiglass. It needed more than a pound of lead nose weight to put the CG well in front of my guesstimated CP location. The entire rocket (without motor) ended up weighing over 7 pounds.

Its first flight was on November 4 of 2006. I used an Aerotech I211 with the delay drilled down to about 4 seconds. Liftoff was great! The flight was straight and true. Ejection was early. I should have tried more for a 5 or 6 second delay. Recovery was fine under a Rocketman R7 chute, and it landed on the soft dirt of the next field. For something so silly, and bulbous, and non-aerodynamic, it flew very nicely.

2nd flight was on October 24 of 2009. Again I used an I211, but this time with a 6 second delay. Another great flight!

I'm currently planning to fly it again on October 23. This time, I may use an I285R.

Additional photos may be viewed at
https://picasaweb.google.com/alan.estenson/ItSTheGreatPumpkinRocketCharlieBrown#

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.JPG

Ok this is going to be tough.

I'm hosting so this does not go in the competition. but this WOULD be my entry

:y:

hat 1.jpg

hat 2.jpg

Akavish?

Akavish?

Has anyone seen Akavish?

Beuller?

Last day to get your entries in! At the stroke of midnight eastern time(or, when I get home from work, whichever is later) the entry period will close!:cyclops: Polls will be posted shortly thereafter..

Remember in the LPR contest that the TOP 3 finalists will receive prizes from Hot Rod Rocketry!:clap:

MPR/HPR winner gets $25 off any web order or custom sticker work from Sticker Shock! :D

So, git yer entries in!:gavel:;)

DING-DONG the witch is...ummm..the entry period has now ended! ;)

All good entries, this will prove interesting!

Polls to be posted in mere minutes! :)

Back