RocDoc's New Build Thread -- The 24" Diameter Super Big Daddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not much I can say, and Im not usualy at a lose for words being a wise ass and all.
Thats just something else.
Too Cool.
That is one rocket I would love to see lift off in person.

wow that's really something don't think I have ever seen something that big. Are you going use a spray booth to paint it?

I'll end up painting it in my garage. Rattlecanned the Velociraptor Rex project last year. Think I used 25 cans of spray primer. Ouch. Not gonna do that again. Bought a new compressor, a good spray gun, and a primer gun. Still need to work on getting a spray booth. So my booth this year will end up being some plastic hanging in the garage. Not very elegant.

Not much I can say, and Im not usualy at a lose for words being a wise ass and all.
Thats just something else.
Too Cool.
That is one rocket I would love to see lift off in person.

Thanks. Haven't posted for a while because I am elbow deep in pink foam for the nosecone. This is turning out to be a monster project. To be honest, I'm getting nervous about getting the thing done on time. I'm trying not to panic, but I think it's past that point!

Thanks for following along on the build.

Bryan

Bryan why do you feel you must rush? I feel like I'm watching an episode of American Choppers. They are always rushing around to finish a bike. I'm sure you will find another event to launch it at. Take your time and enjoy the process and try not to make it a job or then the fun runs out. Heck I never rush my stuff. It gets done when I say it does and no sooner..

That's just my approach...it has to be fun first and a hobby why bother if it can't be fun right?

Bryan why do you feel you must rush? I feel like I'm watching an episode of American Choppers. They are always rushing around to finish a bike. I'm sure you will find another event to launch it at. Take your time and enjoy the process and try not to make it a job or then the fun runs out. Heck I never rush my stuff. It gets done when I say it does and no sooner..

That's just my approach...it has to be fun first and a hobby why bother if it can't be fun right?

Couple of reasons:

First, if I don't get it done in time for FITS, there really aren't an awful lot of good launches up in the northwest at which to launch it.
Second, if I don't meet this deadline, it could well become a never-ending project that takes up most of my garage and never seems to get quite done.

I'm certainly not going to rush it. I've invested a ton of time and money into this project. If I get it done and done right in time for Memorial Day Weekend, great. If not, I'm not going to fly it naked or otherwise cut corners. We'll see how it ends up.

As far as being a fun hobby, it is certainly that. Despite the pressure I put on myself to finish, it still beats heck out of golf! Tried it, hated it. :bang:

Thanks for the comments!

I understand good points.

Maybe you can enlist someone (local neighbor) to help with some sanding or holding parts into place or whatever you feel they could do that would help. Give you that extra edge making the deadline. I'm looking forward to seeing it done. Good luck !:)

I understand good points.

Maybe you can enlist someone (local neighbor) to help with some sanding or holding parts into place or whatever you feel they could do that would help. Give you that extra edge making the deadline. I'm looking forward to seeing it done. Good luck !:)

Haha! My neighbor's think I'm some kind of mad scientist working for Al Qaeda! They look into the garage and just shake their heads! Nah, I'm one of those "doesn't play well with others" kind of guys. I'll just have to keep working and see what happens. It'll get done when it's done.

Ive had my neighbors call the cops on me before... thought I was building missiles in the back. That was an interesting conversation!

It's a fun hobby and can be enjoyed at all levels. For me I don't have the necessary funds or tools to build a large rocket, so I just stay with MPR. Might be out of a job in a few months so need to watch my spending.

Bryan,

That monster is so cool. Nice to follow along....... If you get a chance take a look at my SA-14 Archer Thread. Any more advice...
I got a lot of inspiration so far from your thread and your comments...

Thank You

No, he did not have it ready for the FITS Launch in Mansfield, WA over the Memorial holiday weekend. I was there and was looking forward to seeing this big bird roar into the sky and a bit bummed to hear that it was a no show. There were, however, a lot of other cool rockets in Bryan's fleet that flew at FITS and quite of few of his friends and family present who were also flying some beautiful and interesting rocket. I am sure Bryan will let us know when and where this project will make its maiden flight...

Ive had my neighbors call the cops on me before... thought I was building missiles in the back. That was an interesting conversation!

Howabout posting that story in "Funny Rocket Stories" for me... Wouldja?

Been following this thread. I wonder if Bryan had a chance to finish in time for his launch?

No, he did not have it ready for the FITS Launch in Mansfield, WA over the Memorial holiday weekend. I was there and was looking forward to seeing this big bird roar into the sky and a bit bummed to hear that it was a no show. There were, however, a lot of other cool rockets in Bryan's fleet that flew at FITS and quite of few of his friends and family present who were also flying some beautiful and interesting rocket. I am sure Bryan will let us know when and where this project will make its maiden flight...

As Bret indicated, I showed up at FITS without a big rocket in tow. Turns out a variety of things happened. First, I realized the Sunday before the launch after getting two hours of sleep a night for a couple of weeks that no matter how badly I flogged myself, this project was not going to get done on time, especially not up to my standards. I found I was cutting corners and pronouncing things "good enough" instead of getting things done right. Even so, I realized that there was no chance to get it done. I have never missed a self-imposed deadline for a rocket before, so there was a significant amount of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that night.

As it turned out, it ended up being fortuitous that I didn't just slap it together. I found out Monday that the large launch tower I planned to use was not going to be available, so I would have had a (poorly completed) rocket with no tower on which to put it. Then I got to the launch and was informed that three of the five motors that I planned to fly in it did not make it from Aerotech (I ordered them in December, so I was surprised to say the least -- especially since I hadn't gotten an indication before the launch that I would be short 3/5 of my motor needs). So then I would have had a (poorly completed) rocket with no power on which to put it with very little "go" inside it. I would have been really fried if I had gotten things done and then had everything fall apart at the launch.

As it is, I have taken a little break while I try to clean up the mess from the last minute preparations for the launch. I am currently trying to decide whether I want to restart on the nosecone altogether as it is not as good as I want it. I should have more time to take photos of build progress and post updates.

The current plan is to wait until next year's FITS to launch it. I feel a big project like this is better when there are more folks to watch it go!

Thanks for hanging in on the build thread!

Bryan

Even so, I realized that there was no chance to get it done. I have never missed a self-imposed deadline for a rocket before, so there was a significant amount of weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth that night.

No more wailing and gnashing of teeth...lol

You made the right call BTW. I've done that many times where I try to get something done for a particular launch and find that I cannot get everything done to my standards and thus begin to stress out about it. I have found that if I just take the "aw, screw-it there will be another launch eventually" attitude then the stress vanishes and the hobby becomes fun again.

Yeah, I've been there done that on projects like this - of course not quite on this scale. :cool:

-Dave

Then I got to the launch and was informed that three of the five motors that I planned to fly in it did not make it from Aerotech (I ordered them in December, so I was surprised to say the least -- especially since I hadn't gotten an indication before the launch that I would be short 3/5 of my motor needs). So then I would have had a (poorly completed) rocket with no power on which to put it with very little "go" inside it. I would have been really fried if I had gotten things done and then had everything fall apart at the launch.

That seems to be Aerotech's way of doing business as of late. I had a similiar experience but I am prepared to fly so needless to say I am furious that Aerotech dropped the ball and refuses to remedy the situation.

Good luck finishing the rocket. Your build threads are great to follow!

Just found this build thread and read it from front to back--amazing project. But, I am curious how it ended up. Did it ever get finished and fly??

I tried bumping this thread a while back to no avail... Looks like he hasn't been online since 26th July 2012. Would love to know how it ended up too! Anyone know?

I know he attended the Fire In The Sky launch in Mansfield,WA a couple years back. I talked to Vern Knowles about his L3 project, the upscale Velocipraptor. Anyone know his name? I can see if he is in the Northwest Rocketry email list and tell him we all miss him :wink:

Braden

I know he attended the Fire In The Sky launch in Mansfield,WA a couple years back. I talked to Vern Knowles about his L3 project, the upscale Velocipraptor. Anyone know his name? I can see if he is in the Northwest Rocketry email list and tell him we all miss him :wink:

Braden

According to the last pic he posted in post #75 of his level 3 build thread (https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...hread-Velociraptor-REX&highlight=velociraptor); It's Bryan Whitemarsh.

One thing I can say that Bryan has some great skills when building these big birds. I like that he has everything in order and his selection of quality tools is bar none. I wish we could see more of this fantastic build. It was fun to follow it along with his previous builds. You know it looked like he was pretty close to finishing it as far as the construction aspect of it. I think the nose cone and electronics needed to be out fitted?

Back