Looking for Build Threads: Cardboard L3, No Fiberglass

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of references across the forum to folks doing L3 flights without any fiberglassing of components. Are there any L3 build threads where no fiberglass components are used and no tip-to-tip fiberglassing is done? I am not asking if its possible, I know its been done, I am more interested in seeing the build process and what goes into making a cardboard rocket robust enough for M+ flights. I am guessing some mixture of: large diameter for increased drag (low and slow), gracious amounts of epoxy, and long/thick tube couplers, but would love to see the process. Any links would be helpful!

I have seen a lot of references across the forum to folks doing L3 flights without any fiberglassing of components. Are there any L3 build threads where no fiberglass components are used and no tip-to-tip fiberglassing is done? I am not asking if its possible, I know its been done, I am more interested in seeing the build process and what goes into making a cardboard rocket robust enough for M+ flights. I am guessing some mixture of: large diameter for increased drag (low and slow), gracious amounts of epoxy, and long/thick tube couplers, but would love to see the process. Any links would be helpful!

Both are great threads. I have toyed with building TROJ's rocket myself. The buckets are in my shop waiting.

Both are great threads. I have toyed with building TROJ's rocket myself. The buckets are in my shop waiting.

The buckets are a lot of fun! If you decide to do it and have questions, you know where to find me. :)

I've toyed with a second version of it which transports to the field in a collapsed form, gets quickly assembled for flight, then collapsed back down to take back home. I've already figured out how to do it....I'd just have to execute on the plan.

-Kevin

The buckets are a lot of fun! If you decide to do it and have questions, you know where to find me. :)

I've toyed with a second version of it which transports to the field in a collapsed form, gets quickly assembled for flight, then collapsed back down to take back home. I've already figured out how to do it....I'd just have to execute on the plan.

-Kevin
Wanna do a build thread?

Here is a few pages from my L3 paperwork. A all custom built 8" rocket from concrete forming tube, 1/2" plywood, and foam sheet. All the structural parts were less than $100 (does not include electronic, recovery, or motor). I was a broke college student. If I were to do it again, I would spend a bit extra and just go with 7.5" Loc tubing to make everything much more simple.

Attachments

• Level 3 Certification Packet copy.pdf
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
I will start a new build thread in a few days....new 7.5" Loc rocket designed for L3 shots without the need for any glass!
I think I've heard of this one, and I have a friend waiting anxiously for that kit to be released...lol

Several years ago I built a rocket that was a HDPE clad rocket. It's still in use and has been very rugged. It's NOT PVC. I bought a 10' section of the much lighter white black lined plastic pipe at a home improvement store for $9. It fit well over 4" LOC materials, hence why it's a clad rocket. I left it "natural" so you can still see the barcodes for the pipe. I was going to scale up for my L3 and was pricing out components and bigger pipe, but as I was looking at various vendors for parts Madcow had a killer hump day sale so I ended up buying one of their kits and modifying it for my L3. I did write up an article on "The Stinky Sewer Pipe Rocket" in Sport Rocketry a few years ago. I am planning to fly 'Stinky' at NSL-E in a week. Attached is a picture of it at LDRS 41.

Attachments

• IMG_20230707_135134794.jpg
    IMG_20230707_135134794.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Several years ago I built a rocket that was a HDPE clad rocket. It's still in use and has been very rugged. It's NOT PVC. I bought a 10' section of the much lighter white black lined plastic pipe at a home improvement store for $9. It fit well over 4" LOC materials, hence why it's a clad rocket. I left it "natural" so you can still see the barcodes for the pipe. I was going to scale up for my L3 and was pricing out components and bigger pipe, but as I was looking at various vendors for parts Madcow had a killer hump day sale so I ended up buying one of their kits and modifying it for my L3. I did write up an article on "The Stinky Sewer Pipe Rocket" in Sport Rocketry a few years ago. I am planning to fly 'Stinky' at NSL-E in a week. Attached is a picture of it at LDRS 41.
What kind of stickum did you use on the fins, would something like JB Weld work?

What kind of stickum did you use on the fins, would something like JB Weld work?
It has TTW fins to the 54mm MMT which I used BS hobby epoxy. I did use some plastic rivets to hold the HDPE tubing together with the LOC cardboard AF. There are small epoxy fillets on the external AF.

I will start a new build thread in a few days....new 7.5" Loc rocket designed for L3 shots without the need for any glass!
Is this the same kit that got turned into confetti by a N motor at BALLS?

It made it most of the way through the burn, so a reasonable M should be fine.

Is this the same kit that got turned into confetti by a N motor at BALLS?

It made it most of the way through the burn, so a reasonable M should be fine.
Yes and No. That was prototype #1...when I saw the shred, the answer to my first question was "Yes". Changes made accordingly; this iteration will do just fine on similar motors.

I can also confirm a 5.5” Hyperloc built stock with no reinforcement will take a punchy M motor just fine! Though, depends on your local waiver which motor you can fly it on.

Attachments

• IMG_7533.jpeg
    IMG_7533.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 1
Yes and No. That was prototype #1...when I saw the shred, the answer to my first question was "Yes". Changes made accordingly; this iteration will do just fine on similar motors.
That sounds really interesting. I'll keep an eye out for the kit, I haven't built a really big rocket yet, and something like this might be perfect.

Back