RocDoc's New Build Thread -- The 24" Diameter Super Big Daddy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He inspired all of us with his amazing builds.

+ 1 to that. He set a standard of excellence. I've re-read his threads several times over the months since I joined TRF. His writing seemed friendly and inclusive, although the way it had suddenly broken off was troubling. Nevertheless I feel like I learned a lot from him, a complete stranger as I am, thousands of miles away. RIP.

It would be nice if someone could "pick up the pieces", complete the build and fly it in his honor.

It would be nice if someone could "pick up the pieces", complete the build and fly it in his honor.

I don't know if anyone here knows the family personally, but if the right moment came around I'd be happy to help fund it.

Last edited:
I might be willing to finish the build, but dont know who to contact or anything.

I've located some family members on Facebook, I'm local to them, and I was thinking the same thing. However, this incident only occured a few months ago. I'm not exactly sure if this is the time to present this?

I've located some family members on Facebook, I'm local to them, and I was thinking the same thing. However, this incident only occured a few months ago. I'm not exactly sure if this is the time to present this?

Thats a tough question. Too bad none of us were close to the family, the good Doctor only impacted our lives via this forum.

Thats a tough question. Too bad none of us were close to the family, the good Doctor only impacted our lives via this forum.

The initial cycle of grieving typically takes around a year, with a significant milestone/turning point after 6-7 months. Given the particular circumstances there may well be many conflicting emotions going on right now. Obviously I'm an outsider but personally I'd give it the best part of a year, before making an approach about any valedictory launch.

The initial cycle of grieving typically takes around a year, with a significant milestone/turning point after 6-7 months. Given the particular circumstances there may well be many conflicting emotions going on right now. Obviously I'm an outsider but personally I'd give it the best part of a year, before making an approach about any valedictory launch.

No problem with that advice at all, the family has to come first.

No problem with that advice at all, the family has to come first.

Although, in the first 6 months, this may be one of the first group of possessions to "hit the pavement." I know it would be if my wife was left to disperse my possessions. Interestingly, I'm not much one for possessions and/or sentiment, when I'm gone, I'm gone. Yet in my will I have designated how my rocketry stockpile will be handled :). I have the rocketeer identified with phone number and address along with instructions to sell the possessions to benefit a long-established club.

Although, in the first 6 months, this may be one of the first group of possessions to "hit the pavement." I know it would be if my wife was left to disperse my possessions. Interestingly, I'm not much one for possessions and/or sentiment, when I'm gone, I'm gone. Yet in my will I have designated how my rocketry stockpile will be handled :). I have the rocketeer identified with phone number and address along with instructions to sell the possessions to benefit a long-established club.

I'm not concerned about 'beating them to the punch'. A year sounds appropriate for me. If the materials still in their possession and they feel they'd like to see the unfinished projects completed we'll explore that. As far as we know all this stuff has already been handed to a friend or similar by the family.

Not sure if this would make a difference, but instead of contacting the family maybe contact friends of the family and have them as a go between and let them present the idea that some of us would like to finish the build in his honor. Its sad reading the thread and knowing at that time he was alive and doing what he was doing and now he is gone.... Godspeed Bryan

Back