Questions on the new LOC 7.5" av bay...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopy

Reaction score
Okay - so, I have a kit with the 7.5" LOC av bay...it's the new style with two half-length stiffy couplers, and it's raised a few questions in my head. I understand the reasoning behind it (more room for recovery gear and what not), but...with the break between the stiffy couplers in the middle of the main coupler, where do you mount the switch band so you can actually use it as a switch band? Also, does the joint between the two stiffy couplers create a week point in the actual coupler since there's a joint there with the stiffys (stiffies?) Just seems like an odd design to me...Anyone built one of these things?

I haven't built one, but I got one delivered yesterday and was looking over the setup.

20221215_114418.jpg
From my initial review and opinion, the weak point you mentioned (good point to bring up), shouldn't be a problem because one of the bulkheads get glued in between the two couplers, so that should be pretty strong (or stronger) with fillets.

I haven't built one, but I got one delivered yesterday and was looking over the setup.

From my initial review and opinion, the weak point you mentioned (good point to bring up), shouldn't be a problem because one of the bulkheads get glued in between the two couplers, so that should be pretty strong (or stronger) with fillets.
True...The bulkhead would probably eliminate that as a weak point, I guess. Just seems...odd...lol...but I guess there's plenty of room to work in there since it's so wide. Just seemed odd to me.

True...The bulkhead would probably eliminate that as a weak point, I guess. Just seems...odd...lol...but I guess there's plenty of room to work in there since it's so wide. Just seemed odd to me.
You're not alone, it took me a bit to figure it out. The vent band goes anywhere along the AV bay section, but you'll want it as close to the middle as you can if you want to ensure even strength of the coupling section, however I'm sure it's fine to move more to one end if you have limited space like on the V2 (my situation).

Also I'm guessing they made the bay this way to cover their 7.5 Patriot and V2 since there isn't much room in those for traditional full size AV bays I believe.
Yeah - like I said, I totally get the reasoning, just brings a few interesting questions...lol...I want to keep the band as close to the center as possible, but might need to move it down an inch or two to get it feeding into the alt bay, I guess.

Yeah - like I said, I totally get the reasoning, just brings a few interesting questions...lol...I want to keep the band as close to the center as possible, but might need to move it down an inch or two to get it feeding into the alt bay, I guess.
Measure thrice...cut once...regret none (nonce?). ;)

I have built a number of these. If you are building a longer rocket like the Bruiser, just build it with the two couplers in the middle and the bulkheads on either end (like a normal ebay). If you build it shorty style, you have to contend with the switch band, but, worse, it is just a larger volume you will have to account for with an ejection charge. If you don't need the room, don't build the bay short.

If you do build it short, just put the switch band right above the bulhead:

PXL_20211028_160427458.jpg

Also, if you build it short, epoxy the snot out of the inside of the coupler that will be exposed to the charges. If you leave the cardboard bare, it will destroy it pretty quickly:

PXL_20220507_120653143.jpg

I have built a number of these. If you are building a longer rocket like the Bruiser, just build it with the two couplers in the middle and the bulkheads on either end (like a normal ebay). If you build it shorty style, you have to contend with the switch band, but, worse, it is just a larger volume you will have to account for with an ejection charge. If you don't need the room, don't build the bay short.

View attachment 551373
Ah, so for that you'll need to use longer threaded rods. Thanks for the info...will be useful for me as well since I'm planning on a stretched V2 Canadian Arrow.

Ah, so for that you'll need to use longer threaded rods. Thanks for the info...will be useful for me as well since I'm planning on a stretched V2 Canadian Arrow.

I always have a lot of threaded rod laying around, so wasn't a big deal, but, yes, you will need to pick up some longer rods than the ones that came with the kit.

View attachment 551373
Awesome! Thanks! I was thinking of just getting longer threaded rods and doing it that way.

Latest posts

Back