Questions on GPS Waypoint On Rockets and Point To Point Based Guidance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
I was curious if GPS way point missions on a rocket with a built in active stabilization system would fall under a "Point to Point based guidance" legally. I assume that point to point based guidance refers to a rocket actively orienting itself to a target with the intent to hit it. In my case I was interested in horizontal translation minitours, with no intent of hitting a target, rather just letting a rocket follow a GPS waypoint on the way down, and possibly on the way up to have more accurate recovery in a field. On the topic of Point to Point based guidance, it was hard to find much legal information. Lets say this does still fall under Point to Point based guidance. All I could find is restrictions on export control under ITAR, so assuming someone built a point to point based guidance system from a model rocket without any explosives or warheads, would it be legal as long as the details and photo of the system are kept within the U.S. and never shared?

This topic has been discussed extensively. Have you considered doing a search?

But there are definite opinions. That is the best of what you will get on this forum.

And all those opinions are worth exactly what you paid for them! (unless you're a supporting member, in which case they're worth less)

Back