Question(s) About the Estes Saturn 1B Recovery System

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh9162013

Reaction score
The old and current Estes versions of the Saturn 1B have a 2-parachute recovery system. What's especially odd (in my opinion) is how the upper stage/command module section of the Saturb 1B has a special "harness" so it may fall parallel to the ground via 15" parachute.

However, because the kit was designed so the escape tower is removable (for flight), if one were inclined to build their flying model this way, is the special "harness" still necessary? And if not, could one replace the 15" and 18" parachutes that come with the current kit with a single 30" nylon parachute?

The old and current Estes versions of the Saturn 1B have a 2-parachute recovery system. What's especially odd (in my opinion) is how the upper stage/command module section of the Saturb 1B has a special "harness" so it may fall parallel to the ground via 15" parachute.

However, because the kit was designed so the escape tower is removable (for flight), if one were inclined to build their flying model this way, is the special "harness" still necessary? And if not, could one replace the 15" and 18" parachutes that come with the current kit with a single 30" nylon parachute?
I feel like you might risk compression damage on the tube seams without the harness.

I feel like you might risk compression damage on the tube seams without the harness.
The only tube on the top section (upper stage) is reinforced by the command module nose cone and the plastic transition. In other words, I think the only "special handling" the upper stage would need would be due to the escape tower (which can be removed).

The only tube on the top section (upper stage) is reinforced by the command module nose cone and the plastic transition. In other words, I think the only "special handling" the upper stage would need would be due to the escape tower (which can be removed).
I see, that is an unusual design. It’s an expensive kit, but I suppose there are more pricey experiments to conduct. Why not talk it over with your RSO and find out?

I see, that is an unusual design. It’s an expensive kit, but I suppose there are more pricey experiments to conduct. Why not talk it over with your RSO and find out?
I don't have an RSO. But I don't think it's a safety issue, but an engineering one. Yet I don't understand the engineering reasoning behind the unusual parachute harness, absent the need to protect the escape power. I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything else.

chute size determines rate of descent and drift. having the model in a horizontal harness increases the drag during the descent and allows use of a slightly smaller chute. If you change the rigging, then you may need to use a slightly larger chute since you are removing part of the body drag during a horizontal orientation. Ground impact speed may be a bit higher if you rig it in the conventional manner with the stock chute.

You don't really need the harness if you leave the tower off. I've always regarded this as cheating, but you may feel otherwise. I've destroyed several towers when the harness broke so I'd forgive anyone who didn't take the risk.

You don't really need the harness if you leave the tower off. I've always regarded this as cheating, but you may feel otherwise. I've destroyed several towers when the harness broke so I'd forgive anyone who didn't take the risk.
That makes sense, thank you.

I'm not familiar with how the escape tower plugs into the command module on newer Estes Apollo models, but from an old one, here's a method to turn the tower into a spring-loaded "hood ornament." That way, if you're so inclined, it can stay on and be protected from damage.

Never trusted the multiple parachutes to deploy successfully. Mine comes down traditionally in one piece under a 32" nylon chute.

While the multiple parachutes are more realistic, I didn't want to take the risk of a failure on such a nice rocket.

Never trusted the multiple parachutes to deploy successfully. Mine comes down traditionally in one piece under a 32" nylon chute.

While the multiple parachutes are more realistic, I didn't want to take the risk of a failure on such a nice rocket.
Do you think a 32" parachute offers a slower-than-necessary descent speed for the Saturn 1B (which might be a good idea given its delicate nature) or do you think using a 30" nylon parachute would work well, too?

If I was landing on hard surfaces Packed dirt, desert floor etc. I would move up to something larger. Maybe something in the 38 to 40 range.

Landing on soft grass, the 32 has been fine. Haven't broken a anything but I've only flown it twice.

Back