Query re: Vendor distress

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessalco

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I just received a message (apparently) from one of our vendors, who is in distress and is asking for immediate (emergency) financial support. Anyone else receive the message? Do you know if it's on the up-and-up? If so I certainly want to help, but I'm always a bit leery of email stuff.

Kevin

I got the same. Seems a bit off. The text and formatting throws me off... Plus this curious nature of the email.

I just sent said vendor a text message.. If the response is all is well, I will touch bases if no one else has.

MRW

I imagine Ken's phone has been ringing off the hook.

Hopefully he's already contacted Yahoo to recover his account.

As I work in the law enforcement field, this scam has been around for a long time and has been successfully used against many people. Not only have they used emails to conduct this, but they also have been randomly calling phone numbers and speaking with people in person stating someone is in jail and they need to be bailed out. I'm sure most of you would do the right thing and not do it, but it has worked several times and people have lost thousands of dollars. Always better to confirm with family, friends, and probably the local law enforcement agency within where you live first........and they will never ask for payment over an email or over the phone!

Preston

Yes, it was a hoax/scam. Ken is doing fine and not stuck in the Phillipines.
I am in fact the one that needs the money. Please send large amounts of cash to me directly.

thank you for your grateful assistance at this time of most difficulty.

s6

Yes, it was a hoax/scam. Ken is doing fine and not stuck in the Phillipines.
I am in fact the one that needs the money. Please send large amounts of cash to me directly.

thank you for your grateful assistance at this time of most difficulty.

I'm going to ship you $50 in pennies....overnight, morning delivery....COD. :)

-Kevin

Hi folks,

I just received a message (apparently) from one of our vendors, who is in distress and is asking for immediate (emergency) financial support. Anyone else receive the message? Do you know if it's on the up-and-up? If so I certainly want to help, but I'm always a bit leery of email stuff.

Kevin

Do you seriously think any thing like that is real? Dude!

Last edited:
Do you seriously think any thing like that is real? Dude!

Um, Jim?

This kind of scam, along with many others, wouldn't exist and wouldn't continue if there weren't sufficient people believing them to make it financially worthwhile.

-Kevin

Kevin, I guess. I keep forgetting that everyone don't know Ken as well as most of us do. No wife or kids, no vacations to the Philippines! And even more strange, that email JUST hit my inbox last night. Go figure. I guess I just figured that email looked so phony from the start that everyone would know it was a scam. My apologies for any offence.

In the words of the great philosopher Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!" :)

Um, Jim?

This kind of scam, along with many others, wouldn't exist and wouldn't continue if there weren't sufficient people believing them to make it financially worthwhile.

-Kevin

Back