Anyone ever had a Paypal account canceled for buying rocketry stuff?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
Earlier today I received notice that my Paypal account had been "permanently Limited", which is their euphemism for 'cancelled'. I thought at first it was just phishing, but after I verified that it had, indeed, been cancelled I immediately phoned their customer service. Even after escalation, all I was told was that indeed it was cancelled; they (the CSR supervisor) didn't see any activity that could have caused this; that the decision was made by a "back room" team with whom I could not communicate, that the decision was permanent, with no appeals process, that there was no way even for customer service to ever learn of the reason(s), and that their algorithms for determining whether to cancel an account is proprietary and would not be revealed. I can never have an account again, nor can any of my linked credit cards be used at Paypal ever again.

I've had this Paypal account for over 22 years - almost as long as the company has been in operation. Never in all that time have I been notified that any of my activity was prohibited, questionable, against policy, etc. etc. The termination notice I received today was the first I've heard.

I've scanned over my activity for the past year - which is only about a dozen or so purchases - and there is nothing that violates their policies (which I re-read). About 90% of the purchases were rocketry related: club memberships, stuff from Eggtimer or Madcow, odd parts from ebay or Ali. Could that be it? Because, I guess, terrorists also use rockets, or something? I'm at a complete loss.

As a side note, it doesn't seem wise to build a business around a company which lacks any semblance of transparency or customer service.

So, to wrap up this long venting post - sorry, I'm still a bit stunned:

1) Has anyone else here seen their Paypal account inexplicably cancelled?
2) We are truly living in 1984. It scares me that so much of our society and economy is based around private companies, which may or may not be acting in cahoots with foreign or domestic governments. These companies can cancel, censor, shadow ban, de-platform, de-monetize, disconnect etc. anyone they like for secret reasons, for questionable reasons, for illegal reasons, or for no reason at all.

Kelly

2) We are truly living in 1984. It scares me that so much of our society and economy is based around private companies, which may or may not be acting in cahoots with foreign or domestic governments. These companies can cancel, censor, shadow ban, de-platform, de-monetize, disconnect etc. anyone they like for secret reasons, for questionable reasons, for illegal reasons, or for no reason at all.

"People are what they love, Jack. And what they love...is cargo. They love spices and linens and silks, and plantains. And as long as it is delivered on time and in sufficient supply, then they are content to be nothing more than figures on a ledger."

- Lord Cutler Beckett

with you on the 1984 thing... honestly PP is past their sell by date. nearly all the places online take a credit card, which gives you added protection for the transaction. otherwise, I use zelle for small amounts, have not had that fail. or, personal check (gasp!). none of the above? guess I don't need it.

Earlier today I received notice that my Paypal account had been "permanently Limited", which is their euphemism for 'cancelled'. I thought at first it was just phishing, but after I verified that it had, indeed, been cancelled I immediately phoned their customer service. Even after escalation, all I was told was that indeed it was cancelled; they (the CSR supervisor) didn't see any activity that could have caused this; that the decision was made by a "back room" team with whom I could not communicate, that the decision was permanent, with no appeals process, that there was no way even for customer service to ever learn of the reason(s), and that their algorithms for determining whether to cancel an account is proprietary and would not be revealed. I can never have an account again, nor can any of my linked credit cards be used at Paypal ever again.

I've had this Paypal account for over 22 years - almost as long as the company has been in operation. Never in all that time have I been notified that any of my activity was prohibited, questionable, against policy, etc. etc. The termination notice I received today was the first I've heard.

I've scanned over my activity for the past year - which is only about a dozen or so purchases - and there is nothing that violates their policies (which I re-read). About 90% of the purchases were rocketry related: club memberships, stuff from Eggtimer or Madcow, odd parts from ebay or Ali. Could that be it? Because, I guess, terrorists also use rockets, or something? I'm at a complete loss.

As a side note, it doesn't seem wise to build a business around a company which lacks any semblance of transparency or customer service.

Kelly
Your name/identity may be similar to someone else who is the real threat. Then they've done a blanket cancelling of accounts.

Paypal has prohibited activities in their Acceptable Use Policy, in part..
"ammunition, firearms, or certain firearm parts or accessories,"

Could someone at PP not know the difference between rocketry related and the above?

Last edited:
They've become a poor semblance of what they used to be. It seems that they may have started jumping on the "only focus on profits" while cutting customer service and plain reason. I read of one vendor who overnight had all the money in his account swiped and they didn't stop it nor reimburse him (not sure if he ever got resolution).

Like others have said, many others to use, so if they don't want you... good riddance to them!

I've had weird experiences at Facebook, where their AI decides that I should not be allowed to upload files just because. Said file was just decal files. I've also had FB disable certain posting features, just because. Forget being able to get an answer to why. Their "appeal" button seems to be pro-forma, because nothing ever comes of it. You can't even communicate with a real human there.

There seems to be an awful lot of people that are quitting Paypal, for good reason
When they changed their terms of service last year I decided to dump them after 20+ years.

It can be difficult to do, this process worked for me.

Remove all your funds from Paypal account
Delete any bank information except 1 credit card [they won't allow you to remove all methods of payment]
Go to your account and request account closure, repeat, repeat, repeat
You will eventually get to the screen where they ask you for the reason
Tell them "I no longer agree with the terms of service" and put the date
Screen shot this! Very important possibly for later
My experience was that they dropped me immediately. Be prepared for all your paypal linked stores to send you a notification, its scary how many there are.
If they contest it or try to charge you service fees after the date of your request, contest the charge through the C.C. company, and let them fight it out.

As some people have said, there are other payment alternatives now.

sadly, they are the main (if not the only) source for sending "international" funds..

I mean for yardsales, for freinds, for SS, etc.. [those who can't take a Credit Card..]

I haven't heard of many alternatives that are actually safe to use - ie, if you send money you have any recourse if the seller is a crook and doesn't send you the merchandise. Forget Venmo, etc... they are useless for that and are full of scammers.

I used PayPal since their start, but ever since PayPal took a hard left political turn, I've avoided it like the plague. As others have mentioned, there are other solutions out there, not least of which is that most businesses now take money directly, and thus you're insulated from fraud by your bank's individual policies.

I still maintain an account at PayPal, but ONLY for purchases of RC car stuff and rocketry related stuff here on TRF. Probably send less than $100 a year through it.

To that end, I opened another account at my bank (NFCU), got a unique card number that I attached to my account, and had the bank 100% compartmentalize it from my other accounts. I wanna buy a used motor tube or parachute from someone on here, ONLY the funds necessary are transferred in by me, and ONLY that much goes out.

If it's hacked, they ain't gonna get jack!

If PayPal shuts it down, I'll simply move back to postal money orders and snail mail. If someone doesn't want to do business that way, I'll forego the transaction. Their loss.

But I've stopped giving money to or laundering money through companies that hate me.......and, if anything, my online purchases have increased exponentially each year......all of it well outside PayPal's domain. Haven't missed a thing!

Last edited:
Been using Paypal since the early days on eBay. Other than the fees associated with the service, I've never had an issue with them. I run most of my subscriptions through Paypal and about 95% of all of my online purchases. Most of the time, if a seller doesn't have a Paypal option I'll find another seller.

I was asked if I had a Venmo account by a seller, so I signed up only to notice down below in the fine print that Venmo is a subsidiary of Paypal.

Are you sure the email wasn't Spam? Was there a link to click on?... that's a huge red flag.

Rocketry is NOT a prohibited activity in PayPal, I've literally bought thousands of dollars in motors over the past 10 years via PayPal.

I haven't heard of many alternatives that are actually safe to use - ie, if you send money you have any recourse if the seller is a crook and doesn't send you the merchandise. Forget Venmo, etc... they are useless for that and are full of scammers.
You'd think they were safe to use, but I've lost ~$400 years ago on an Ebay sale where they said the buyer used a stolen credit card. I mean, how's that my fault that the thief used a stolen card for PayPal payment on an eBay sale?!?

Yes, it was all real. I logged in directly to my Paypal account, and spoke with CSRs on the phone.

Kelly
Open a new bank account at a different bank, strictly for PayPal usage. Get a Debit Card . Get a new email address ( exclusively for PayPal ) . . . If necessary, get a spouse, or "significant other" to open the account, in order to sever any direct connection to you . Create a new PayPal account and VOILA ! Also, a "VPN" is quite useful, as it conceals your IP address.

Dave F.

Last edited:
Rocketry is NOT a prohibited activity in PayPal, I've literally bought thousands of dollars in motors over the past 10 years via PayPal.

1500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody "knew" that the earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you "knew" that Paypal did not cancel Rocketry hobbyists. Imagine what you'll "know" tomorrow.

Open a new bank account at a different bank, strictly for PayPal usage. Get a Debit Card . Get a new email address ( exclusively for PayPal ) . . . If necessary, get a spouse, or "significant other" to open the account, in order to sever any direct connection to you . Create a new PayPal account and VOILA !

But do I really need a Paypal account? I'm not going to jump through hoops to get back on board with a company that treats customers so abhorrently. If there's an alternative, that's where I'm going.

I'm curious as to what the rocketry related items were that may have triggered the OP's PP account being permenently limited.

I'm curious as to what the rocketry related items were that may have triggered the OP's PP account being permenently limited.
Just to be clear, I'm not saying - never said - that rocketry items triggered the cancellation. The fact is, I have no idea, because they won't tell me. It's a secret. But since ~90% of my purchases on Paypal are rocketry related, and the rest is equally innocuous (a piece of personal finance software, a belt for my mower, etc. etc.) I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else had experienced similar.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying - never said - that rocketry items triggered the cancellation. The fact is, I have no idea, because they won't tell me. It's a secret. But since ~90% of my purchases on Paypal are rocketry related, and the rest is equally innocuous (a piece of personal finance software, a belt for my mower, etc. etc.) I thought I'd post here to see if anyone else had experienced similar.
Have you used F&F payments often?

Back