QCRS MMWP launch / BBQ May 24-25

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim: can't wait; so looking forward to this weekend!

John, that V thing still scares me with that crazy fin arrangement!

Griffmeister: please throw the Minie Magg and 5" f/g cone in your MMWP pile if possible; my Dad has money he wants to throw at you.

Sconnie Checklist:
-Red solo cups
-St. Germain, Deaths Door, limes :drool:
-Spotted Cow
-Cheese: curds
-Cheese: string
-Cheese: sliced w/ crackers
-Kringles: now taking requests for flavors
-a few rockets with J,K,L, and N motors

-Eric-

Griffmeister: please throw the Minie Magg and 5" f/g cone in your MMWP pile if possible; my Dad has money he wants to throw at you.

Sconnie Checklist:
-Red solo cups
-Spotted Cow

-Eric-

-Spotted Cow

Please bring some extra. I would like to throw some money at you....

Weather forecast for this weekend is awesome. :w:

-Spotted Cow

Please bring some extra. I would like to throw some money at you....

Weather forecast for this weekend is awesome. :w:

Having just gotten back from a business trip to the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva, WI...I gotta post this:

XS5LK.gif

That being said, I was a fan of Spotted Cow, not such a fan of Cheese Curds. Don't think my taste buds are sophisticated enough.

Have fun at the launch!

Sconnie Checklist:
-Red solo cups
-Spotted Cow

-Eric-

I know where St Germain is ,but what are you bringing ?
What is Deaths Door? sounds like It could hurt on Sunday morning.
Last one what is a Kringle?
And Jackie likes Curds.

I know where St Germain is ,but what are you bringing ?
What is Deaths Door? sounds like It could hurt on Sunday morning.
Last one what is a Kringle?
And Jackie likes Curds.

St. Germain is sweet nectar of the gods; extraction of the elderflower blossoms biked down from the Alps. I discovered it several years back in Chi-town and have become somewhat of an addict. Mixed with a good gin (like Death's Door), it makes for a wonderful experience. It is indeed potent; though I'll be rationing it to some degree by only bringing a bottle of each; I am happy to share!

Racine Kringles: Danish pastry thingies; Darryl always wants me to bring a truckload of them for him, so it's become a bit of a tradition. I'll bring some for the Lehr household, and others that want to try.

Will bring lots of cheese curds.

Claude: 10-4 buddy

Dan: good fresh cheese is fun, but it is so much better when properly breaded and fried. I look the way I do in large part due to the region's tendency to fry everything...but it tastes so good! Though there are lots of good beers out there; I have yet to find one that I enjoy more than the Spotted Cow!

-E-

Peroni beer and iron Maiden trooper beer and a liter of Rumple, and a glazed doughnut to go.. And some stogies.

Sconnie Checklist:
-Red solo cups
-Spotted Cow

-Eric-

Sounds like a lot of good stuff that goes with home brew.

2 rockets and a blunt. Just jokin

Don't *bogart* that rascal, my friend...Since W***man is now "smoke-free", looks like it's just the two of us...HA!:p

Ok...Now for the serious business.

I'm sitting here in my motel room tonight with my cell phone in "Do NOT $#@%'n disturb mode" when i look down and, see i've had a few calls and, a voicemail...:confused:
Loo and, behold i have about a hundred *Drunken Fools* yelling "Where you at Gus?!" into my mailbox...:surprised: That's PRECIOUS.:eek: (Thanks Capt. Crunch...)

As i mentioned many posts back: Due to having too much time off in the books due to my USLI teams forfeiture of previously said competition...I had to make quick plans to salvage my valuable time off. Sooooo......Anne got to see the exciting Black Hills of South Dakota and, i got a well deserved tan and, time off in my life to not think about work/bills/rockets for once.

Because of this, i have now spent WAY TOO much money (food, motels, gas....attractions) but, have really enjoyed the peace and, serenity that comes with all of this.
Since i DO NOT have a rocket/rocket parts stuffed into the backside of a Belgian made Opel i will regretfully NOT be able to be there tonight or tomorrow...Also one does not tell *The Redhead* he is going to make a diversion to fly rockets while she sits in the car.:duck:

That's right i'm p#$$y whipped!:blush:

So in conclusion, i would like to say that unfortunately i will not be there this weekend...but, i do promise on my *Chicago Rocket Mafia Soul* that on Sunday June 15th....I WILL have both my Two Stagger AND, the Gizmo XL...known as: "The Holy $#!@ Hand Grenade of Antioch" on a CTI N-5600 WT in my possession...in Princeton Illinois.
I really was looking forward too meeting the "Gerbmeister" and, all my other misfit friends over a LARGE steak in Wildman's backyard...:sigh:

I shall return.:point:

Last edited:
I really was looking forward too meeting the "Gerbmeister" and, all my other misfit friends over a LARGE steak in Wildman's backyard...

We missed you, Gus. Have a safe drive home. Saturday was a rollicking good time. Great flying weather, fraternity, and food to follow. Thank you, Tim and Jackie, for hosting us all in your home... the food was awesome, the festivities legendary. Great also to see some new faces and make some new friends. Welcome to the fold. Somehow I came home with more rockets than I started with. I do think I won a bet that I could fit that monster upscale Venus Probe in my car and still close all the doors. Foxy, up for a drag race at Thunderstruck 6?

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_5586_2.jpg

IMG_5607_2.jpg

IMG_5613.jpg

Looks like you guys had a great time. Wish I could have made it. Have the crops been planted yet? The field doesn't look planted?

Here is the Aerotech 5120 casing after the cato of the M2030 Mojave Green. Take a look at how bad the case is damaged. Both altimeters after I cut out the bay are working, and the nose cone and retainer are still usable, so gotta build something else around the nose. The silver lines on the casing is the dremel when I cut the motor tube off of the casing.
IMG_20140525_172254_547.jpg
IMG_20140525_172304_640.jpg
IMG_20140525_172517_104.jpg

Here is the Aerotech 5120 casing after the cato of the M2030 Mojave Green. Take a look at how bad the case is damaged. Both altimeters after I cut out the bay are working, and the nose cone and retainer are still usable, so gotta build something else around the nose. The silver lines on the casing is the dremel when I cut the motor tube off of the casing.

It looks like Aerotech years ago discontinued this reload and recommended replacing the grains free of charge (https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showpost.php?p=594472&postcount=1) to get to an M1500G. Given that, I wonder if they will honor the warranty on the hardware?

Last edited:
Come on guys the launch has been over for 2 hours where are the pictures of the launch. Hope you all had a great time.

First, a special thank you to Tim and Jackie for their hospitality and great food yesterday evening! It was awesome! Second, a great big thanks to Tom and Chelsea for letting me borrow one of their trackers on the second flight of my Madcow 4" V2, which flew on a Pro54 J760 to over 7,500'. Thanks for helping me find it, Chelsea!

I was there only yesterday, and what a great day for rocket launches it was! The weather was as perfect as it gets! Great people, great weather, great rockets, soft farm land, and great food!

I put together a little video of the two launches of my V2, which I made dual-deploy using the 4"x4" coupler as the Av-bay. I'm pretty sure that other pics and another video of my V2 will be posted here, as well, but you can view what I have so far at https://youtu.be/Vd6IwUZvihg.

-Wendell

Tru dat.. I hope someone has the X15. I flew Saturday.

Uncle rumple. I have photos of the x-15. Will post them and more in the near future.

Hope all went well for everyone today!!! Had sooooo much fun yesterday!!!

Eric.

Me too. At least you got something whimsical; the guy in the Peru Taco Bell drive through was convinced I had a bomb in the back seat!

That's funny. Me three; many thanks to neighbor Jim and other unnamed farmer for bringing the Bruiser home!

61grams of BP, 24 bottles of Spotted Cow, 22lbs of APCP, 20 red solo cups, 13 limes, 6 lbs of cheese, two Kringles, and two bottles of booze lighter, we retreated to the Mendota Super 8 after an outstanding day with friends in the fields of rural Illinois. Thanks to QCRS, Tim and Jackie, and all the other crazies that made for a great day in the Land of Lincoln! I took as many photos as possible; that said if I wasn't by our tent I didn't have the camera and thus no photos. Please enjoy those I was able to capture!

The flying started with Mike Gross flying a 2.6" bird on an E75 Vmax for a mild test flight. It was a nice flight that reminded me I need to put a lens on the camera in order to take photos.

Soon after, I had a 5" Jart on the pad with a CTI L910 C-Star. This rocket/motor combo did a number on the fins at Thunderstruck a month ago, so this was somewhat of a revenge flight. Carbon fiber helped it all stay in place for a successful flight.

003_zpsbd12b7c6.jpg

004_zpscbc8de4f.jpg

Chuck Swindler brought out a trademark red/orange rocket on a trademark Albino Assault load. Nice!

005_zps8c42304e.jpg

Tim Lehr, Dennis Watkins, and Jason Griffin dragged the new Wildman 6" V-2's on a mixture of Commercial and Research 75mm L's and M's. Tim's left first with the others bursting out of the smoke in tow.

006_zps146171af.jpg

007_zpscce4bb16.jpg

John Olevich's Wasserfall V-2 still scares the crap out of me; but it flew quite well on a CTI M1790 Skidmark!

012_zpsd17c99bf.jpg

013_zps3c096171.jpg

014_zps44cb6d57.jpg

Adrian Butler flew his I-Roc on a CTI J520 Skid for the airframe's largest motor yet. A nice motor/rocket combo, it traversed to the edge of eyesight and recovered nicely under a spinning Skyangle.

016_zpsded5d5c8.jpg

John was the first of at least two Level 1 certs on Saturday with his 3" Wildman wrapped in Stickershock vinyl. Great flight and recovery, landing just behind the barn! Congrats and welcome to high power! He later successfuly flew a L2 cert attempt as well!

017_zps8b238535.jpg

018_zps99dcfaa7.jpg

021_zpsb13a5aea.jpg

Claude "The Connection" Paquin flew a 4" Wildman on the brutal M3700 White Thunder. I love this motor; you could really feel the thrust of that sledgehammer; sweet!

022_zps336b722b.jpg

Richard Cash flew his Wild Child on a hot 29mm motor to around 4000' while Tom Cayemberg flew his PML Eclipse to 6500' on a CTI K740 C-star.

023_zpsa4c3cad2.jpg

Richard's boost was faster than my trigger finger, so I only got smoke, but here's the Eclipse:

038_zpse2736e79.jpg

039_zpsef831d43.jpg

...to be continued...

-Eric-

Last edited:
Fellow Sconnie "Uncle Rumple" flew his gorgeous X-15 on the most-excellent K1440 White Thunder. A beautiful boost was followed by a beautiful recovery; once again just behind the barn. Sweet!

026_zpsbcb57915.jpg

029_zpsb3703e85.jpg

030_zpsf333f76f.jpg

036_zps2e164284.jpg

Woosh Prez Mark Hackler made the trip south to fly his PML Sudden Rush on a CTI K160 long burn. True to the name, the motor burned until the rocket was outta sight. Mark drove around listening for beeps before finding the high flyer later on (I think...memory of recovery status check on Sat. evening is a bit foggy for some reason).

031_zpsa9b3e7e4.jpg

Tom's Eclipse landed after Mark's boost, a mere 75' away from the pad it left. The winds were low on Saturday; actually diminishing as the day went on. Many afternoon flights were landing near the pads!

046_zps22c781a7.jpg

Several Steves, many Mikes, couple Chucks, even extra Eric's, lots of duplicate names out there on the range. One of the Steves (Wilson) flew his big yellow rocket on an Aerotech M1297W; love a bit White Lightning motor!

049_zps882ee6c7.jpg

052_zpsa27266b0.jpg

Leftovers! After Balls22, I had some unburned motors that were supposed to put a 2 stager north of 100k'. When that didn't pan out, as Dr. Dave reminded me, I got to have even more fun burning them in slightly more practical rockets closer to home. I had the Dynacom Tarantula clone prepped for MWP11, but ended up not flying it after I lost the Bruiser. The Bruiser magically reappeared at the launch site on Saturday, which I took as a sign to fly the Tarantula. A N2471 Superballs provided a nice little flight into the heavens above. I had a GoPro Hero onboard; not yet downloaded, will share if it took decent video. It did land a ways out, but in fine shape.

055_zps8801841f.jpg

056_zps182059d0.jpg

057_zps44409907.jpg

It's always a good time when the Indiana crew shows up at a launch. Joe LaMaster likes to fly rockets when he's not enjoying a beverage or manning the video camera. Greg and Joe took video of several flights on Saturday for sure; hopefully they show up here soon! Always good to see you Joe; will work on a suitable blue for MWP12, buddy! Anyway, Joe flew a 2.25" Dark Star on a I284W if I remember correct. Speedy boost on a great motor!

061_zpsafc02827.jpg

Gary and John set up a pair of Formula 150's while Craig (I think) and photographer looked on. Thanks for the use of the pad, Gary; and sorry to see the green M go boom!

062_zpsd51e6235.jpg

Tom's 3" IQSY Tomahawk took to the skies on a Sconnie J220 Superballs while Gerbs4me's blue rocket flys on a CTI Skid.

063_zps44482958.jpg

064_zpsc76a5a2c.jpg

A gentleman traveled 8 hours from Missouri to hang with the QCRS gang for a few short hours and make a L1 cert attempt or two. The first flight of The Big @ss Rocket suffered a bit from stability issues, but was rectified for the second flight; a great L1 cert on a CTI Blue motor! Congrats!

071_zpsad282a9a.jpg

The Northwestern University crew missed SLI in Utah, but made it out on Saturday with their project. Under the supervision of Judy Lubin, the team was able to add sufficienct earthen dirt and rock to the nose to achieve sufficient stability, conquer the pesky magnetic switches, and lob their 6" project on the rockin' CTI M4770 V-max. Richard Cash (sporting a Purdue hat) helped carry the rocket to the pad!

067_zps5e0c510e.jpg

072_zps3945a871.jpg

It was learned that if you huddle closely together around a pole and point to the sky, rockets shall descend from the heavens.

075_zps047342b4.jpg

A safe landing for the Northwestern SLI rocket!

077_zpsb9871f8d.jpg

079_zps232597f0.jpg

Thus ended a great day of flying and started a great night of shenanigans at the Wildman ranch. I intentionally stowed the camera away prior to the BBQ party; though I'm sure others have some interesting photos somewhere. Great launch all; thanks for hosting us!

-Eric-

Last edited:
Back