Printer suggestions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I want to get a new printer and start making cardstock models in color. Any opinions on what I should buy? Ideally, I would like to get rid of my old all-in-one b&w laser as well so I don't have two printers on my desk. Also, I have almost no interest in printing photos - if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the help.

Kevin

I have been using an Epson all-in one for printing paper models for quite some time now. Make sure you get one that takes 4 cartridges so that you only have to replace one cartridge at a time (instead of a three color cartridge where only one color may be out). Be aware that the higher the print quality the shorter the cartridge life - so it also helps if the cartridges are high capacity. Some printers won't take the hi-cap ones so be sure to check. The Epson inks are water resistant and are good for decals also.

I have a canon all in one. It works to print card stock up to 24 lbs (that is as high as I have tested,

if you want it for cardstock i only can recommend one a Color Laser XEROX I have the phaser 6125 is a wonderful printer !!! but is not all in one for that i leave my lenmark in the closet and i just use it when i will scan

and welcome to the cardstock world !!!you will love it

I think I have a xerox phaser at work just sitting there doing nothing.

HP color laser CM1017 here. Still using the original cartridges (set of 4).

Let me add reason why i suggest Laser and not inkjet

The color are brighter than inkjet
The toner of Laser not get dry as the inkjet ink
laser is Faster
toner is natural waterproof so the glue didn't affect to the model.

First i bougth and samsung, fortunatelly was in office max and i could return because the quality wasn't good, i ask to the office max guys, a recommendation and he told me check all the print centers what you see ? Samsung, HP, Lenmark or Xerox ?

There's pros and cons to every printer. I have a Lexmark Z2400 wireless color inkjet that I paid $40 ... try to find a printer so that when you replace the ink cartridges they don't cost so much. I'd stay away from HP because the refills are ridiculous. If you can afford a laser great, but not everyone can. Just shop around and maybe you can find something on sale.

If you can afford a laser great, but not everyone can. Just shop around and maybe you can find something on sale.

If you print more than a few pages a day, a laser printer will be less expensive than an ink jet. And a more expensive laser printer may be cheaper than a less expensive one in the long run. More expensive lasers generally offer larger toner cartridges which results in a lower cost per page printed.

-- Roger

Let me add reason why i suggest Laser and not inkjet

The color are brighter than inkjet
The toner of Laser not get dry as the inkjet ink
laser is Faster
toner is natural waterproof so the glue didn't affect to the model.

First i bougth and samsung, fortunatelly was in office max and i could return because the quality wasn't good, i ask to the office max guys, a recommendation and he told me check all the print centers what you see ? Samsung, HP, Lenmark or Xerox ?

Montaro,

Thanks for this list of justification for lasers. I was honestly concerned about inkjet's reaction to glues.

Kevin

If you print more than a few pages a day, a laser printer will be less expensive than an ink jet. And a more expensive laser printer may be cheaper than a less expensive one in the long run. More expensive lasers generally offer larger toner cartridges which results in a lower cost per page printed.

-- Roger
Can you qualify what to you is a "more expensive" versus "less expensive" laser printer?

Thanks!

- Rich

Heheh, what's really disappointing about inkjet printer cartridge prices is that sometimes it may be cheaper to buy a new printer rather than new cartridges.

Last edited:
Back