pop pods,how to keep them flying.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snuggles

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked before..... I get about 10 flights on a pop pod before the BT ends get crunched or otherwise weakened. Any ideas to make them more robust???
Thanks
Mark T

Mark,

Usually I will lose a pod before it wears out. If you are talking about the forward end of the tube, you might soak it with thin CA and then sand it smooth inside and out. I usually wrap some silver tape around the outside, too. I use the ASP silver mylar tape or adhesive Monocoat.

At the motor end you can leave the motor sticking out about 3/8th inch. I friction fit, but also like to use the mylar tape on the outside. The motor then takes the brunt of the landing instead of the tube. I have attached my Fly Baby design to show how I extend the pylon to the rear so that it hits first. The main reason for that design is to make sure that the weight is forward so that the ready-for-flight model balances in front of the glider wing.

Chas

View attachment flyBaby.pdf

Mark,

Usually I will lose a pod before it wears out. If you are talking about the forward end of the tube, you might soak it with thin CA and then sand it smooth inside and out. I usually wrap some silver tape around the outside, too. I use the ASP silver mylar tape or adhesive Monocoat.

At the motor end you can leave the motor sticking out about 3/8th inch. I friction fit, but also like to use the mylar tape on the outside. The motor then takes the brunt of the landing instead of the tube. I have attached my Fly Baby design to show how I extend the pylon to the rear so that it hits first. The main reason for that design is to make sure that the weight is forward so that the ready-for-flight model balances in front of the glider wing.

Chas

Thanks for the tips, Chas. Funny you should put your Fly Baby file up. That's the one I am currently flying. Flies Great!!!!!!
Mark

Latest posts

Back