Polecat Aerospace....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They should say if they are accel based... All dual deploy alts have baro but some have accel as an added feature... Like Gwiz. Gwiz gives you the option of using accel or baro for apogee detection.

But the real perk of units with accelerometers is the data. Acceleration, velocity, MOTOR THRUST CURVES! (the Loki unit is great for that)... You can determine tons of things from the data a Gwiz, ARTS, RDAS etc... gives you....

With an MAWD its interesting but its just a graph of time vs. alt.

OK - while you guys were ratchet-jawing about altimeters, here's a 4" Nike on I119 FJ (54mm soda can) last Sunday:

Img_6861-crop.jpg

and here's the Pershing II on J350 from AeroHot a few weeks ago

Img_6796-crop.jpg

Hey fantastic pics! I'm salivating over here...not to mention I would let a rabid dog chew off my family jewels for that launch site...:surprised:

Kits are nice flyers but his quality over the years has sunk... My dads patriot from him was not very high quality, mostly the airframe material. Lots of filling and a new GLR phenolic coupler fixed that, but still...

Not sure I agree with this statement. Have you seen his NEW kits? Everything is laser cut and fits perfectly. I agree the couplers are made from a softer cardboard but it's ok for normal flying and a couple layers of glass on the inside and it's bullet proof. My 5.5 Nike Smoke held up to a L1420 with no problems. Only real changes I made to the kit were a layer of carbon on the fins mostly to withstand landing on the hardpan in the desert and one layer in the coupler to stiffen it up since I was going to push the rocket pretty hard.

Well the airframe also was poor... It had spirals on it (its a glassed airframe) that were sticking out! So they had to be sanded off not filled! I cant imagine the tube was like that so I assume he tries to fill them and doesnt sand the spiral completly... I remember seeing the same kit (patriot) on display and thinking hmm that tube must not be glassed because I could see a spiral, now I know what it is...

My dad sanded it well and filled it and its now as smooth as my performance rocketry tubing, but he still would have rather bought some better parts and scratch built... Also Andy's alt bay isnt super well planned out, he includes an unrecessed bulkplate so you can glue the alt bay in... So you have to reach in 2' to get to everything! On my nike smoke its fine because the upper tube is like 10"s long so you have to reach in 6"s but 2' is a hassle, he should recess both rings so the builder can use screws or rivets to mount the bay.

Lastly the TN my nike smoke came with was about 3 times shorter then what it currently has...

I just think their are better kits out there...

Anyways nice pics of his kits flying! I saw the 54/1706 version of that fast jack, its awesome! I cant wait to burn one... And well the J350 is just a classic.

Back