Please allow me to introduce myself

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all for chiming in and offering support and guidance. I am thinking of driving up to central PA on 9/3 for the Ramtec contest hosted by Southern Pennsylvania Area Association of Rocketry. I'd have to get up early if I am going to make the 2.5 hour trek which I am admittedly not good at. A Google search yields about nothing regarding this event. Anyone know what to expect there? 2.5 hours is a bit of a drive but Central PA never fails to fascinate me.

Wait, Ramtec ends at 2pm on Sunday so I'd have to leave really early besides my club launch is in Greenbelt, MD that day 30 minutes from my house. Nevermind. :smile::smile::smile:

Last edited:
I, too, would like to make some high quality videos. I've done video/film stuff before (in front of the camera), but I don't have any decent video equipment or anyone to man it.

Scratch that, I did just get a new camcorder the other night, though I haven't tested it out yet.

Still, I'd love to collaborate. Though I'm in Boston - not super close. But if we both happen to be able to make it to the same launch space on the same day, somewhere in the middle, maybe we could chat.

This response is way overdue. Hopefully your camcorder will have a mic input as the built in mic on the camcorder should never be used. Viewers can live with bad picture but bad sound will have us scrambling for the remote. You should be able to get an entry level mic either shotgun or wired lav for $100. Check B&H's inventory for used mics. They have Audio-Technica PRO 88W-830 which is a wireless lav used for $130. At that price I might pick one up as well.

Camcorder /phone mics are more than adequate. My phone records 4k video and multichannel audio.

Camcorder /phone mics are more than adequate. My phone records 4k video and multichannel audio.
With all due respect that is far from true. All you have to do is watch a number of youtube videos and the audio is generally pretty bad. Not claiming to be an expert but my documentary film, On Your Mark, Get Set, MOW! made it into a handful of festivals. Being a photographer and one who fooled around with super 8 and 16mm movie cameras getting good picture came easy to me. Getting usable audio meant doing a bunch of research and upgrading to Audio Technica lav and shotgun mics. Don't be afraid to drop some money on decent mics as unlike cameras the technology on mics is slow to change. The shotgun mic I used on the film was nearly $600. Take care of them and you'll be using them 20 years from now.

Tim Van Milligan at Appogee is one who understands the importance of getting good audio. He never uses the on camera mics when shooting his videos. You will always see a lav mic clipped to his shirt in his videos.

With all due respect back to you, most Youtubers are so worried about data limits, they have quality settings cut to the bare minimum. There's alot to be said for what you describe, but most phones can take at least 1080p video, and some like mine 4K.

With all due respect back to you, most Youtubers are so worried about data limits, they have quality settings cut to the bare minimum. There's alot to be said for what you describe, but most phones can take at least 1080p video, and some like mine 4K.

No one ever said anything about the image quality being poor on a camcorder or a smart phone. The still and motion images on the newest cell phones are awesome. The sound is horrible and probably always be horrible. There are attachments that will allow you to connect a mic with a mini plug and maybe even a XLR cable to one's smart phone. A better solution would be to get a Zoom digital recorder and record your audio entirely separate from the video. Watch a pro video shooter with a $15K camera and you'll also see a boom op recording audio on the separate mic.

Next to getting good sound is a stable image. Even if you're shooting on a phone there are cheap attachments that will allow you to mount your phone on a tripod. I say shoot on your phone and record the audio on a used H4N ($100 on ebay) with a Rodes shootgun mic and a cheap boom pole.

Whatever you do don't use the camera's built in mic.

Latest posts

Back