Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure it has been mentioned before, however I seem to be noticing it even more so recently.
Folks who just can’t seem bothered to dim the headlights. It’s bad enough we now have 15k lights then throw in poorly aimed brights…..
It seem that with the earlier darkness now everyone and their brother is driving with the brights on…..
Rrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Tailgaters. I tend to travel in the right-hand lane at 60mph, for best fuel economy in Der Red Maxine. If you think I'm travelling too slow, then pass me, don't crawl up my tailpipe, then flash your damned high-beams at me. If I tap my brakes several times at you, take the hint: BACK OFF. Yer too damn close!

I am sure it has been mentioned before, however I seem to be noticing it even more so recently.
Folks who just can’t seem bothered to dim the headlights. It’s bad enough we now have 15k lights then throw in poorly aimed brights…..
It seem that with the earlier darkness now everyone and their brother is driving with the brights on…..
Rrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
They really should start issuing fines for failing to do so, it’s going to kill somebody eventually if it hasn’t already.

Phone rings. Caller ID tells me ID info is unavailable, or it is a number from someone I don't know. I have tossed my telephone etiquette aside for it now goes like this: "State your name and business." If they ask for me by name, I repeat, "State your name and business," much slower and very deliberate. Usually they hang up, or ask for me by name. again, to which I respond, "Do you not understand English? You have five seconds to comply or I hang up!" One out of five callers who are still on the line will comply, but most will drop the call. Why are businesses permitted to remain anonymous when they call members of the public - or orivate citizens? Why are they allowed to call numbers from the DO NOT CALL list? Those numbers should be protected from "robo" callers. Why do we have to re-register our phone numbers every 5 years?

Precisely why I don’t even have a phone line running to my house. Told the builders don’t even bother with a pipe and fish tape. If the put one in, I was tearing it out!
Cell phone only. Call blocker and prescreening feature works wonders!

Phone rings. Caller ID tells me ID info is unavailable, or it is a number from someone I don't know. I have tossed my telephone etiquette aside for it now goes like this: "State your name and business." If they ask for me by name, I repeat, "State your name and business," much slower and very deliberate. Usually they hang up, or ask for me by name. again, to which I respond, "Do you not understand English? You have five seconds to comply or I hang up!" One out of five callers who are still on the line will comply, but most will drop the call. Why are businesses permitted to remain anonymous when they call members of the public - or orivate citizens? Why are they allowed to call numbers from the DO NOT CALL list? Those numbers should be protected from "robo" callers. Why do we have to re-register our phone numbers every 5 years?
Gonna have to do this.

Don't have a landline now, but when I did, I would answer this type of call with "sheriff's fraud line". They always hung up.

latest one: when you find a way to drastically increase your income, then the world directs it's energy and makes sure that it doesn't happen. All of that "Law of Attraction" BS and Manifest your destiny Horse S!!!t infuriates me.

Speaking of falling for crap, I am extremely annoyed by the various travel sites (Expedia and Hotwire are my current bugaboos) that list great deals on things like rental cars. When you click on the price, suddenly it's no longer available and are you willing to pay 5x as much? If you go back in 10 minutes later, the screamer deal still appears, so it's not like it was actually taken.

Why are headlines formatted this way now, especially by major networks? They sound like they’re written by a 6th-grader.

IMG_0443.jpeg

$107,000 actually..

not sure what you're pointing out: the format (it is over 5 lines) or the content (they could have been more precise: " .. sold for $107,000")

is this better?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/lifestyle/sh...iece-sold-at-auction-for-us-107-000-1.6693915
I’ve been trying to figure out what it is. I think it’s half feel, half content. Formatting a headline as two short sentences with a full stop in-between while failing to fully summarizing the main idea, is something that would have been a cardinal sin a few decades ago. If the editor didn’t slam it for style it certainly would eat a lot printing space.

I might have written it “Rare $4 vase from Goodwill auctioned for $100,000.”

And then I’d have it put at Page 18.

Sometimes our limits produce better work.

EDITED

Is societry too broad of an answer? Stupid people in general that covers maybe what 85%? Young stupid people, that narrows it down further. The parents of young stupid kids. Maybe just the young stupid punks who think they have to let everyone know that their car is loud, but performs like a slug. Is there reason one's car needs to be heard a couple miles away...this includes the young stupid punks who ride their croutch rockets down the car pool lanes at 140 miles per hour!! Yeah lets endanger the lives of others who are just trying to make it home to their families after putting in a long days work.

Back