Phone scammers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rereading, I don't think I explained it very clearly. It may have read like I was saying the recipient of the call needs to hit a button to let the call through. But actually, it is the sender of the call. So if it is a robot, it cannot press the button to make the call go through. Just like the "I am not a robot" web site tests.
Thanks,

No, I didn't think your protocol was the same as mine. It's different and I say use what works with spammers to get relief. I understand what you do may be is different and I didn't want to imply one technique is better than another. If I get to my phone with my CPR unit on it with a strange number coming across, I can hit a button on it to block the number from future calling before even answering. Kill'em no matter what protocol one uses to get relief. I'm open to better suggestions. I had four one call rings today. Of course, I couldn't get to the phone in time but it doesn't matter as the calls were probably coming from a spammer random dialer.

I don't jump up to the phone anymore unless it gets past 3 rings although if I'm nearby and recognize on caller I.D. it's someone or a business I deal with, I pickup on it quickly. Use what one needs to use to get rid of this spammer menace. I wished the CPR had more memory to store more numbers to block. I have a recording machine on the line so if they want to leave a message, fine by me.

The only messages I get recorded are from family, friends and businesses I deal with. I tell businesses to leave a message on my machine if I'm out and I'll get back to them when I'm seeing them in person for the first time. I give them permission and know their number.

My mentally handicapped son was trained by my now deceased wife to never answer the phone. We taught him how to call 911 and call out. One time I was late at work, after my lovely wife died and was gone for a time. He called me from the wired home phone to my cell asking, "Dad, when will you be home?" I smiled as I answered and told him I was going out the door as I was indeed in the midst of doing. Glad my lovely wife taught him to do that!
Best regards,
Kurt Savegnago

I wonder how much it really bothers people working in the phone solicitation business and getting endless amounts of people hanging up on you, cursing you, telling you to go to hell, and having to do that over and over, year after year, just to provide food, clothing, and shelter?

I wonder how much it really bothers people working in the phone solicitation business and getting endless amounts of people hanging up on you, cursing you, telling you to go to hell, and having to do that over and over, year after year, just to provide food, clothing, and shelter?
some get off on it.. some like being a [short term for 'Richard'].. some like the hunt for that "one"

It's so sad that everyone is a debt slave, working jobs they hate, just to buy more stuff they don't need.
The bankers are the source of most of the problem as they only have one goal, and that is to instill debt through the collection of interest so that they have more and more and more money in the bank, and in their pockets. it's never enough for them and they would even put their own parents in debt with the same interest rate that everybody else was charged, that's how ruthless they are.

:(

Regular telemarketers don't bother me, but the scammers really get under my skin a bit. Telemarketers are just trying to make a living like the rest of us. The scammers I try to waste as much of their time as possible. I figure that if they talk to me for 2 - 3 hours, they can't scam someone else. My goal is to always get them to hang up on me. I talked to the Microsoft Tech Support guys for over 2.5 hours once and finally got them to hang up on me when I kept demanding that they give me the IP address of my "infected" computer. Another good one that I got once was from the "electric" company. In my area that is First Energy and they had me believing them for a couple of minutes. They knew my name and address and wanted to help protect me from the worker that had been dispatched to disconnect my electricity for non-payment. It was the non-payment that made me realize this was a scam. So I told them that I knew a bunch of people that worked at First Energy and wasted a good 20 minutes just asking if he knew one made up name after another. I finally told him that I would pay as soon as he gave me the account number, the scammer hung up. Stir/Shaken should be in place by the end of June, so we should all see a big reduction in spammers.

Back