Any sports card collectors out there?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
Way back when I was a young kid(10years, present age 40) my brothers and I found some old baseball cards in my grandpas auto body shop. Its been years since anyone has stepped foot in their. My grandma split them up between us. The cards ranged from 1972-1978 with I found to be the most sought after. There were Doubles and triples of Nolan Ryans, Pete Rose, Reggie Jack…
I then found a place called PWCC where you can send your cards to them and they can auction them off. I sent off a portion of what I had in hopes of scoring some major payouts but so far I barely double what I paid for shipping. There somethings I noticed that are a little fishy to me like how when I place a bid immediately I get out bided with no time to spare and that happens every single time. Maybe its all in my head. But this company has been known for shill bidding.

Most likely what you are seeing is automated bidding by buyers who set a maximum price they are willing to pay, and the system then bids automatically for them. I've used a number of sites that will offer that service. If there is something I want that I will only pay $100 for, and you bid $80, the site will autobid for me by whatever the minimum bid increment is, and it happens almost instantly.

But if you are are bidding on your own cards, isn't that shill bidding? Or maybe you meant you were bidding on other cards. Being outbid isn't shill bidding if the other winner bids and pays.

If your cards aren't graded before auctioning them off, you are likely not going to get very much for them. It costs money to have them graded, and if you auction them off ungraded, buyers are taking a big chance if they pay a lot of money for a card that turns out to be not what they thought. It's the same with anything, it takes money to make money. l've learned that trying to auction off a wide variety of items that require grading to get the best prices at auction.

Tony

Last edited:
No I would never bid on my own items. Thats hypocrisy 101. Thanks for the info. It make sense now

Latest posts

Back