Pet Peeves

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packing peanuts. The Styrofoam ones are the worst, as they get a static charge and stick to everything. Some of the 'biodegradable' ones seem a bit better, but I don't really know if they do biodegrade quickly or not and if the sludge they turn into is good or not. The air bag packs are nice for the end user, as they can easily be popped and if you can find a place that claims to recycle, that is good. Old-school bubble wrap is always fun for a few minutes, but isn't as easy to dispose of. Good for wrapping motor cases in if its the small kind. . .

I really appreciate it when vendors use paper. When done properly, it can protect things very well and is easy to re-purpose, recycle or can be used to start a fire when it is *bleeping* cold outside.

For reference, I do try to re-use as much packing material as possible when shipping things to others, so if you get air bags or bubble wrap from me, it is being re-used at least. Packing peanuts always get taken straight to the UPS store. Not sure if they are re-using or recycling them, but they always take them (my UPS store at least, not sure if it is a national deal or not).

Sandy.

I respectfully disagree. Never EVER have I been as connected and in touch with my family, especially my extended family, as I have on Facebook. Of course I was on the 'net' in the 80's already on ARPANET and USENET, so to me the net is a old friend. yeah, it is all a commercial money making machine, but heck, it is how I make a GOOD living. So if you don't mind, a pet peeve, people who hate social media, but do nothing to get off the web. (And I do as I say: As soon as Musk took over, I left twitter).
Again: In a respectful tone of voice
I think you got it backwards. Leave Facebook, rejoin Twitter, now that we have someone who actually cares about free speech, and is at least slightly more transparent about monetizing your private life.

Hans.

Packing peanuts. The Styrofoam ones are the worst, as they get a static charge and stick to everything. Some of the 'biodegradable' ones seem a bit better, but I don't really know if they do biodegrade quickly or not and if the sludge they turn into is good or not.
Biodegradable packing peanuts are made from starch. They dissolve pretty quickly when exposed to water. They don't build a static charge like the styrofoam peanuts, but can become a bit sticky in high humidity environments. IMO they are among the most environmentally friendly, effective packing products available.

Biodegradable packing peanuts are made from starch. They dissolve pretty quickly when exposed to water. They don't build a static charge like the styrofoam peanuts, but can become a bit sticky in high humidity environments. IMO they are among the most environmentally friendly, effective packing products available.
Thanks for the information. Regretfully, I have started to question the claims of various products at times. . .the real bio-peanuts might be great, but things that seem similar might be very different - no real experience, just concerns. I will toss a few of the bio-peanuts in water next time I get some and see how they dissolve. I believe responsible manufacturer's products will behave well, but you can never know for sure about what you get in a box. . .

I was involved in the paper industry early in my career and when I see paper packing and tear it apart, seeing how it pulls, I have a good feeling about how it can be recycled. Plastic, foam etc. no experience, so not confident about my opinions for sure.

Sandy.

Thanks for the information. Regretfully, I have started to question the claims of various products at times. . .the real bio-peanuts might be great, but things that seem similar might be very different - no real experience, just concerns. I will toss a few of the bio-peanuts in water next time I get some and see how they dissolve. I believe responsible manufacturer's products will behave well, but you can never know for sure about what you get in a box. . .

I was involved in the paper industry early in my career and when I see paper packing and tear it apart, seeing how it pulls, I have a good feeling about how it can be recycled. Plastic, foam etc. no experience, so not confident about my opinions for sure.

Sandy.
The yeast based ones are good. Smell like roast chicken in large quantities.

I like to nonchalantly eat one or two when we get a package in that uses them. Trips people out. They taste like stale Cheetos without the cheese powder. 😅

Packing peanuts. The Styrofoam ones are the worst, as they get a static charge and stick to everything. Some of the 'biodegradable' ones seem a bit better, but I don't really know if they do biodegrade quickly or not and if the sludge they turn into is good or not. The air bag packs are nice for the end user, as they can easily be popped and if you can find a place that claims to recycle, that is good. Old-school bubble wrap is always fun for a few minutes, but isn't as easy to dispose of. Good for wrapping motor cases in if its the small kind. . .

I really appreciate it when vendors use paper. When done properly, it can protect things very well and is easy to re-purpose, recycle or can be used to start a fire when it is *bleeping* cold outside.

For reference, I do try to re-use as much packing material as possible when shipping things to others, so if you get air bags or bubble wrap from me, it is being re-used at least. Packing peanuts always get taken straight to the UPS store. Not sure if they are re-using or recycling them, but they always take them (my UPS store at least, not sure if it is a national deal or not).

Sandy.
Agreed.

But, for perspective, I always wonder when you receive a package with those space filling air bags.... what kind of airborne pathogens are in those bags when you pop them and put the plastic into the trash. Perhaps the Covid-19 virus from the local Amazon warehouse that shipped the package to you in a matter of hours?

No worries, whatever doesn't kill you makes your immune system stronger, right? :barf:

Agreed.

But, for perspective, I always wonder when you receive a package with those space filling air bags.... what kind of airborne pathogens are in those bags when you pop them and put the plastic into the trash. Perhaps the Covid-19 virus from the local Amazon warehouse that shipped the package to you in a matter of hours?

No worries, whatever doesn't kill you makes your immune system stronger, right? :barf:
This annoy me more because they’re often used to cover for using a far bigger box than necessary. Plus they’re totally non recyclable so they’re just garbage. I can always take packing peanuts (even styrofoam ones) to be re used at the shopping store at the end of the block.

This annoy me more because they’re often used to cover for using a far bigger box than necessary. Plus they’re totally non recyclable so they’re just garbage. I can always take packing peanuts (even styrofoam ones) to be re used at the shopping store at the end of the block.
The particular air bags I have on hand say #2 recycle HDPE. I do think the recycling system is broken/corrupt, but that's what they say on the packaging at least.

I still like paper, because I understand it pretty well.

Sandy.

Very, very, very minor one that I still can’t help rolling my eyes at nonetheless: Going through a drive-thru and they ask “Medium or large?” They used to ask if I’d like to upgrade to medium or large, now it sounds like those are the only two options. And sometimes they are, with the supply chain shortages still affecting the places I visit on occasion.

I can’t tell if it’s a poorly thought-out time- and energy-saving measure, a more aggressive sell tactic, or the result of a language barrier (lots of people here are only beginning to learn English as a working language), but I dislike it, whatever it is.

Last edited:
Very, very, very minor one that I still can’t help rolling my eyes at nonetheless: Going through a drive-thru and they ask “Medium or large?” They used to ask if I’d like to upgrade to medium or large, now it sounds like those are the only two options. And sometimes they are, with the supply chain shortages still affecting the places I visit on occasion.

I can’t tell if it’s a poorly thought-out time-and energy-saving measure, a more aggressive sell tactic, or the result of a language barrier (lots of people here are only beginning to learn English as a working language), but I dislike it, whatever it is.
And the new Medium is the old Large at a lot of places that don't carry Small anymore.

ridiculously stupid commercials. the ones especially during the evening news that are mostly Pharmaceutical companies were most of the actors have the look on their face of pure Bliss, as the pills have turned their life into total euphoria, then there's a disclaimer of all of the bad things that's going to happen to you if you take the medication.
then there's the insurance company commercials, don't get me started on those:p

All the new "high tech" stuff that glitches, slows you down or is impossible to figure out.

Currently watching Paramount Plus and if past the halfway point in a movie and I dare do a short rewind if I've missed something (which is my habit), it'll freaking jump back to the middle with 2 minutes of commercials! Then I have to wait and watch again because same happens when I fwd! 🤬

TV used to be simple... button for ON, change the channel. Now you have to figure out each system, turn multiple things on, make sure wifi is working, wait for updates...WTH needs updating?!?

All the new "high tech" stuff that glitches, slows you down or is impossible to figure out.

Currently watching Paramount Plus and if past the halfway point in a movie and I dare do a short rewind if I've missed something (which is my habit), it'll freaking jump back to the middle with 2 minutes of commercials! Then I have to wait and watch again because same happens when I fwd! 🤬

TV used to be simple... button for ON, change the channel. Now you have to figure out each system, turn multiple things on, make sure wifi is working, wait for updates...WTH needs updating?!?
Paramount + in particular is cursed

Banana hair.

Those d*mn hairs that run the length of the banana. Who engineered the banana to have hair? The thin ones are bad enough, but the wide fuzzy ones are disgusting if you don't get every bit off the banana.

:)

Banana hair.

Those d*mn hairs that run the length of the banana. Who engineered the banana to have hair? The thin ones are bad enough, but the wide fuzzy ones are disgusting if you don't get every bit off the banana.

:)
Yet another strike against the concept of intelligent design. :D

QR codes are now everywhere!

Went to a home improvement show today (finally gonna get the kitchen redone & a few other things around the house..) Everyone now has a QR code!! scan this, scan that.. Their business cards now only show their name & company on once side and just a QR code on the other..

Even restaurants now have QR codes instead of menus!

QR codes are now everywhere!

Went to a home improvement show today (finally gonna get the kitchen redone & a few other things around the house..) Everyone now has a QR code!! scan this, scan that.. Their business cards now only show their name & company on once side and just a QR code on the other..

Even restaurants now have QR codes instead of menus!
+1 especially the restaurants. I generally avoid those ones, but alternatives are becoming scarce around here. Last time we ate at a cafe with this, I took the responsibility to process the order. 40mins of waiting for the lunches to come out we found out (after querying) the payment didn't process :(

TP

what I fear with the QR code menus is:
  • They now have your address, so they can spam you
  • They can raise / lower prices, depending on a number of factors (visit frequencies, 'usual' orders, time of the day, number in your party, etc..)
  • They can start spamming your friends..
  • and other 'data' bits for ...

People who abandon cats or otherwise let them roam around and devastate local wildlife. Irresponsible scum of the earth.

We just got rid of a cat infestation and my wife and daughters were enjoying the birds and rabbits that frequent our yard now, but nope, some worthless waste of carbon dumped more cats nearby.

Back