Painting The Magg (or How I Spent My Summer Vacation)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I enjoy sharing my work with other people who appreciate what it takes to make a nice looking rocket. Now that everybody knows all my rocket finishing secrets I expect to see some mirror-finish paint jobs out there!

That's shockingly impressive.

Do you own a chainsaw?

Um, yes but I cut cleaner lines with an X-Acto knife.

Apparently we share another interest Nathan. I used to race a 944 in the old SCCA GT2 series. Didn't drive. Just the chassis, and electrical guy.

I joined PCA this year with the intention of taking my Porsche on the track or at least autocross. I haven't gotten around to it yet, other than just being a spectator. That pic of my car was taken at a Rennlist annual meet. Rennlist is another forum where I waste lots of time.

Nathan - Thanks for posting this. I learned quite a bit about getting a "showroom shine" whether for my rocket or my car. Plus, my wife doesn't think I'm quite as insane anymore.

Tell her that you're not insane, you just suffer from OCRD (Obsessive Compulsive Rocketry Disorder). Unfortunately there is no known cure.

That is a seriously beautiful rocket!
That level of gloss is amazing!
I don't have the patience to get any of my rockets looking that good...
Congrats!!

That is one beautiful finish. I will send my Magg to ya,LOL. Great job :clap:

Crap!

After reading this thread I realized that I will be adding another month to every rocket I build from here on out attempting to put on such a premium finish.

I have been schooled... Fantastic job, dude. Thanks for the info.

Cal

I'm wanting to try this technique out as soon as possible but the next item in my build queue is Der Big Red Max. I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there a way to insert the waterslide decals in the above process?

Cal

I'm wanting to try this technique out as soon as possible but the next item in my build queue is Der Big Red Max. I'm guessing the answer is no, but is there a way to insert the waterslide decals in the above process?

Cal

Sure, but if there are decals then they should get a coat of clear enamel on top of them. Apply the decals after polishing. Then spray clear coat. When spraying clear coat first do a very light coat, let it dry a couple of minutes, then spray a wet coat. It needs to be just wet enough so that it levels out smoothly but not so wet that it sags. Also don't spray clear coat when it's really humid or it may cloud up. I would also recommend waiting a week before spraying clear coat to minimize the possibility of it wrinkling up.

Last edited:
Sure, but if there are decals then they should get a coat of clear enamel on top of them. Apply the decals after polishing.

Doesn't the polishing leave a coating on the surface of the rocket? Or, after I polish, clean the rocket with ????....

Thanks,

Cal

Gorgeous rockets, Nathan! No way I can do that, I just don't have the patience for it. Plus, I absolutely hate sanding!

Doesn't the polishing leave a coating on the surface of the rocket? Or, after I polish, clean the rocket with ????....

Thanks,

Cal

Don't confuse car polish with car wax. Car polish does not leave any coating on the surface. Think of polish as being just an abrasive like sandpaper, only MUCH finer. Polishing takes some elbow grease and you should get paint coming off on your polishing cloth (that doesn't happen when you use polish on a car because you are polishing the clear coat, not the paint). I'll repeat something I said in the original post:

Polishing is an often misunderstood process. Polish does not put anything on the finish, it is just an extremely fine abrasive paste that actually removes some paint. I am referring to car polish here, not floor polish which I understand some people actually put on their rockets :y: .

Also I should mention that if you have never tried the wetsanding and polishing process before, the problem that you are most likely to have is accidentally sanding the edges of the fins right down to the primer. It's very easy to do. So when you are wetsanding the fin surfaces make sure that the sandpaper isn't wrapping over the fin edges. If you do accidentally sand all the paint off a fin edge, just touch it up by spraying some paint into a plastic cup and then use a fine tip paint brush.

Sure, but if there are decals then they should get a coat of clear enamel on top of them. Apply the decals after polishing. Then spray clear coat. When spraying clear coat first do a very light coat, let it dry a couple of minutes, then spray a wet coat.

I understand that the polishing isn't applying a layer but isn't there some left over rubbing compound left on the surface that needs to get removed before the next coat?

Also, there is no need to sand and polish the clear coat, right?

Last edited:
I understand that the polishing isn't applying a layer but isn't there some left over rubbing compound left on the surface that needs to get removed before the next coat?

No, the polish wipes off very easily and leaves no residue. Also, I don't use rubbing compound. Rubbing compound is a heavy cut polish that is useful for removing badly oxidized paint from a car finish. I start with medium cut polish, also called swirl remover, which is not as aggressive. You could use rubbing compound, just be careful not to polish all the way down to the primer because it removes paint fast.

Also, there is no need to sand and polish the clear coat, right?

Good question. You can wetsand and polish clearcoat although I have never tried it. That is one of the things I'm going to experiment with before my next build. Check out the thread below some incredible paint jobs using lacquer with polished clearcoat. Eric is the only one I know who builds shinier rockets than me! I plan to attempt his process.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?56770-Finishing-a-Rocket-with-Lacquer

Nathan,

First, as you probably know, your work is truly spectacular! Thanks for sharing your process, and the photos of your impressive work. (although if I were to try it, I'd need several years to get through my que.

Next, how do you (or would you) handle applying decals to your work (I haven't seen any that have them). Say, if you wanted to add a design (say in a clone) of an older kit and wanted to use the original graphics (or some of Gord's reproductions).

Then, how do you (or would you) handle balsa nosecones/transitions? I'm especially concerned with protecting the shoulder of the nosecone from buildup, and from sanding damage.

All The BEST!!!
Jim

Nathan,

First, as you probably know, your work is truly spectacular! Thanks for sharing your process, and the photos of your impressive work. (although if I were to try it, I'd need several years to get through my que.

Next, how do you (or would you) handle applying decals to your work (I haven't seen any that have them). Say, if you wanted to add a design (say in a clone) of an older kit and wanted to use the original graphics (or some of Gord's reproductions).

Thanks!

See my replies above to cjestice, who also asked about decals. I actually have very little experience with decals. The last time I used any decals was on the AT Mustang I built last year, which was my first mid power rocket.

Then, how do you (or would you) handle balsa nosecones/transitions? I'm especially concerned with protecting the shoulder of the nosecone from buildup, and from sanding damage.

I always cover the shoulder of the nosecone with blue painters tape and leave it there until I'm done spraying to prevent getting any primer or paint on the shoulder. You can see it in some of the pics in my original post. Like this one:
mmpp3.jpg

It doesn't matter if it is balsa, plastic, or fiberglass. Sanding damage on the shoulder isn't a problem, just don't sand the shoulder.

I have never built a rocket with a balsa transition but I guess I would paint them the same way I do balsa nose cones. The only problem I have with balsa is that the coarse grain requires about 4 coats of sanding sealer to get it reasonably smooth prior to spraying primer.

It's going to fly. I plan to fly it at Red Glare this fall for my L1 attempt using a H225. I hope there's no wind because I got a really big parachute for it.

I added 8 oz of nose weight so it should be stable with any 38mm motor up to 6 grain.

Easily distracted? Pffft. A nuclear bomb could go off next to you and not be distracted. Your attention to detail is absolutely professional. I'd love for you to paint my Harley.:grin:

I lost the Minie-Magg at the MDRA launch yesterday. I flew it on a H120 and it drifted into the woods, never to be seen again. It had been flown about 10 times before, on H and I motors. I'll definitely build another one

I admire the fact that you have no stable-ponies in your fleet, and fly those beautiful works of art until they meet their doom.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Aw Nathan,,,,
I'm sorry to hear that....
That sure was a beautiful bird....
Eh--- you enjoy the build / paint anyhoose.....

Teddy

Nathan, I have used your posts and David Ward's posts as my introduction into construction and finishing of my model and mid-power rockets. Your mini-magg thread was my blue print for my Quest High Q. It turned out wonderfully thanks to you generously sharing your experiences. I just lost the "Q" two weekends ago after some great F and G flights. I learned to be more discriminating when wind speed is concerned. I think the forum community would benefit if you detailed another build. Perhaps it is the replacement to the Magg?

Again, thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Sheesh... I wish you had actually spent some time on that... Looks like you just slapped the paint on without a care in the world...

:neener:

JK. That paint job is awe inspiring. Maybe the selfies all over the internet will start to be taken in the reflection of a nose cone instead of a mirror... :p

Here it was in all it's glory at an earlier launch, I think this is the H400 Vmax
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1403889386.927097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I have a hard time letting go of lost birds. Keep walking over the same ground looking...looking...

Looking forward to seeing your next Magg.

I have a hard time letting go of lost birds. Keep walking over the same ground looking...looking...

Looking forward to seeing your next Magg.

I kept offering to Nathan to go help look for it, the trees are very dense where it landed. Going to have to look again next launch!
Im determined to find it for him!Too much work in it to let that one go!

I kept offering to Nathan to go help look for it, the trees are very dense where it landed. Going to have to look again next launch!
Im determined to find it for him!Too much work in it to let that one go!

You are the man Dave,,,,
Very nice of you....

Teddy

Awesome work!

Can you describe how you did the layout of the fns.

Thank you,

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Back