Package arrived today...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luke strawwalker

Reaction score
Ya know, just when I'm looking forward to the planet exploding and convinced of the general distastefulness of mankind in general and pleased with my own solitude (some would say hermitry), someone goes and does something to restore my faith in humanity...

Got home from running errands with the folks today and found a package sitting on my back steps. Figured it was something the wife found on Fleabay... she's always getting boxes of stuff from dainties to dollhouses for her and Keira... So I thought nothing really much of it being out of the ordinary... until I went to pick it up!

The box felt like it weighed 25 pounds... hefted it up and took it in the house with the stuff I already had in my hands, and set it on the washer while I did some chores around the house... the dishes, brought the laundry in off the line, fed chickens, etc... Pretty soon Betty and Keira got home from school and whatever errands and stuff they were doing, and finally got a chance to sit down... Betty quizzed me about the box, so I retrieved it (since, surprisingly, it was addressed to ME for a change) and opening my knife, I opened the box...

Inside I found a plethora of NASA historical books and goodies... it was like Christmas morning... LOTS of TERRIFIC stuff in there, courtesy of a fellow YORF-er named Steve, aka "foamy"... Enclosed was a very kind letter about how he came to have the books and was SO KIND enough to pass on to me, knowing of my interest in space program history and things space in general...

I just have to say it... ROCKETRY FOLKS ARE THE BEST... I've been involved in a lot of different things through the years, with a lot of different types and kinds of folks, from agriculture to my mechanic's school days, to my police academy days, all the way back to FFA in high school, and BAR NONE, rocketry folks are just plain THE BEST.

This time of year gets rather stressful, and with everything going on, all the craziness in the world, coupled with what seems sometimes (to introverts like me anyway) the "interminable and unfathomable stupidity of the human race" it's very easy to get jaded... and with stress and the "winter blues" that go on this time of year, to get to be a real pill and PITA... which I have been lately... And for that I apologize to everyone and anyone on here whom I might have offended or came across too strongly and seemingly belittled or otherwise denigrated... I SINCERELY APOLOGIZE!

This sort of kindness and generosity really makes one reassess things... look out at the sunshine a little more, and realize that while there will always be a lot of badness and stupidity in the world, there's also a LOT OF GOOD FOLKS TOO...

So, it's 9:30... still 2.5 hours left in 12/21/12... and (so far) the world hasn't ended today... it's been a good day...

Thanks, Steve (foamy) for the books, but for more than that... for reminding me what's important... and that there are lots of good folks in the world, even though at times it might not be so apparent... That's the best gift I could get this Christmas...

Merry Christmas and God bless all you guys, even the ones with whom I may sometimes too vociferously disagree or appear to be a pompous, opinionated @$$... Sorry!

I'll say it now, because tomorrow we leave for the 2 day road trip to Indiana, and I'll be scarce for awhile...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
OL JR aka Jeff Roberts

Just know that the good you put out comes back around-you are not undeserving. Have a great road trip and a Happy Holiday with ones you love and who love you back. Best wishes- dave

Thanks guys... I appreciate it!

Merry Christmas to yall too... :)

I think I have to go now... boss is looking at me like it's time to pack the car...

Later! OL JR :)

Be safe out there JR. All the best to you and your family.

Happy Holidays!

Merry Christmas Luke!! Safe travels, I hope you enjoy your family and look forward to seeing what your next build is going to be?!! (maybe the BT-80 Saturn V???)

Merry Christmas Luke!! Safe travels, I hope you enjoy your family and look forward to seeing what your next build is going to be?!! (maybe the BT-80 Saturn V???)

Thanks guys... safely ensconced in the snowy grip of northern Indiana... LOL:)

Yeah, I DO need to get back after it on that one, Rick... got to the point of either having to choose a motor mount (cluster, what size, what motors??) or do the tower(S) on the Apollos, so I sort of left her sitting there...

Been comtemplating what to do with the Estes 36DD kit that I picked up at HL on clearance awhile back... cannot abide that rediculous paint scheme and fins... Been debating between doing a "Nike Duece" out of it or just kitbashing it entirely...

Luke....that Saturn V will be spectacular!

Thanks guys... safely ensconced in the snowy grip of northern Indiana... LOL:)

Yeah, I DO need to get back after it on that one, Rick... got to the point of either having to choose a motor mount (cluster, what size, what motors??) or do the tower(S) on the Apollos, so I sort of left her sitting there...

Been comtemplating what to do with the Estes 36DD kit that I picked up at HL on clearance awhile back... cannot abide that rediculous paint scheme and fins... Been debating between doing a "Nike Duece" out of it or just kitbashing it entirely...

Back